From the quote I read, Aonuma never confirmed...

#41Luke_the_Duke15Posted 6/12/2014 3:56:40 PM
Abugumgum posted...
@Luke,well first off, if we are going to get technical, sex is a fact, gender is an opinion. Sex is biological, gender is something performed.
Also, maybe you can explain it to me, but I think it is weird you believe that saying "Link is male" is not limiting,but saying "Link is female" is limiting. Not to jump on anyone, but I think that is a viewpoint is bias and assumes that the player is male. I think the fact that he won't make the simple statement regarding that Link is going to be male is evidence that there might be more to it than that. Hence why I believe that the gender of Link will be optional.

First off, I never got that technical, there's no need to be that anal about it. Second, I never said specifically that Link being female is limiting while him being male is not. It could easily be the other way around if Link was always a female character. My point was, Link's always been known as a male character, so to suddenly make him female would be limiting in the sense that people would be hung up on it, preventing them from discussing everything else, hence this entire board. That's what Aonuma meant. He didn't want for Link to be the sole focus of the trailer, and making a gender change (not necessarily a male to female change because it could have been the other way around) would have brought all attention on Link. And I'll explain again so there's no confusion, he wasn't saying he won't give a definitive answer because that would prolong discussion on Link's gender, which is what he doesn't want. And again, I'm not arguing against a character creator, I'm arguing that he wouldn't outright make Link female given what he's said. As it is, we're just going to keep going in circles because we don't have directly opposing points of view.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#42edgarmorrtisPosted 6/12/2014 4:00:06 PM
Abugumgum posted...

That is not a confirmation, that is just Aonuma casually talking about Link overall.
I'm gonna go ahead and call you out on this. But the fact that you think that just because a character doesn't have obvious breasts means that they are clearly not female shows that you have a very unrealistic view of women.

If it was a girl...he would have said she. If he wanted it left open, he wouldn't have used a gender specific pronoun. You can stay delusional if you want to, but I find much more pleasing to exist in reality.

http://playeressence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WiiU_Zelda_scrn02_E3-1.jpg

I'm a really skinny male, and I've got more bewbage than that. My girlfriends got A cup bewbage. You can still tell that she's got boobs.

The fact that you think a chest that flat, and lack of any sort of womanly figure is a female, leads me to believe that you have an unrealistic view of women.

Abugumgum posted...
Sex is biological, gender is something performed.

Please elaborate. How is gender performed? Sex is performed. Gender biological. It's the gear between your legs. I think you got those 2 mixed up.

I think you were trying to imply gender identity...but you failed at trying to sound like a politically correct ubber liberal.

Nice job trying to be trendy ;D
---
The world will look up and shout "save us". And I'll look down and whisper "Hodor".
#43Luke_the_Duke15Posted 6/12/2014 4:01:04 PM
Abugumgum posted...
That is not a confirmation, that is just Aonuma casually talking about Link overall.
I'm gonna go ahead and call you out on this. But the fact that you think that just because a character doesn't have obvious breasts means that they are clearly not female shows that you have a very unrealistic view of women.

Except for the fact the vast majority of women do actually have visible breasts. And if you read what he was saying, the paragraph where Aonuma was referred to Link as a he, he was talking about discussion of the trailer. Him saying Link's a direct connection to the player does not mean he was talking about him as a character overall.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#44Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:12:14 PM
I wasn't being anal about it, just clarifying because that is a common misconception..

Also, I think if he wanted to get the discussion off of Link and onto everything else, he would have outright said that Link was male and been done with it. I think that his comments that the gender ambiguity was intentional directly show us that there is something there, and this isn't just a misunderstanding of thousands of people who don't know what a girl is "supposed" to look like.

Another interesting comment I’ve heard, quite frequently actually, is that, “Oh Link’s a woman. Link is female now.”

That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean."

Again, I think Link will be somewhat customizable, and gender will likely be an aspect of that. And I think the Link we saw in the trailer is likely the female version. Hence not limiting the player by one or the other.
#45FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 4:15:32 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/12/is-link-a-girl-in-zelda-on-wii-u.aspx

It's NOT happening, just get over it, theirs nothing wrong with wanting it. But you're reading WAY too far into things..... It's not a conspiracy.
#46Luke_the_Duke15Posted 6/12/2014 4:17:53 PM
That was in a different interview though, before he even wanted to get attention off of Link, since he says right after he hopes people continue to comment. Not only that, he says that might be something they kind of did. He's not saying anything specific there either, and it sounds like he's not even sure if it was completely intentional to make Link androgynous.

And I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by limiting. I meant limiting discussion, not limiting people in actually playing the game/customizing Link.

I feel you're not even reading my full posts. You keep on reiterating that you think Link will be customizable even though I've not even arguing against that.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#47Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:21:39 PM(edited)
Luke_the_Duke15 posted...
Abugumgum posted...

Except for the fact the vast majority of women do actually have visible breasts. And if you read what he was saying, the paragraph where Aonuma was referred to Link as a he, he was talking about discussion of the trailer. Him saying Link's a direct connection to the player does not mean he was talking about him as a character overall.

With that frame? At that age? and frankly it depends on the clothes.
The clothes Link is wearing in the trailer are very loose fitting in that area, and in fact I would argue that the figure is actually a tad feminine. Thinner neck, less broad shoulders, pronounced eyelashes. And I think this debate is super pointless when you consider that Aonuma admitted to making Link's gender ambiguity here as an intentional thing.
So you are essentially trying to tell people that they don't understand what women look like because they think this character that was admittedly made to look gender ambiguous, looks like they could be a girl. It is both rude to myself, and it is again, an annoying generalization of what women are "supposed" to look like.
#48Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:20:47 PM
Then what is it that you are arguing here? That Link is not going to become female now forever? duh. That Aonuma has confirmed Link as male?

@Freb, for the record, I would play as the male Link personally. But I think it's not me who "wants it" but you who specifically doesn't want it to happen.
#49FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 4:22:19 PM
Luke_the_Duke15 posted...
That was in a different interview though, before he even wanted to get attention off of Link, since he says right after he hopes people continue to comment. Not only that, he says that might be something they kind of did. He's not saying anything specific there either, and it sounds like he's not even sure if it was completely intentional to make Link androgynous.

And I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by limiting. I meant limiting discussion, not limiting people in actually playing the game/customizing Link.

I feel you're not even reading my full posts. You keep on reiterating that you think Link will be customizable even though I've not even arguing against that.

I'm reading everything you're saying, but you're seriously setting yourself up for disappointment, he's got an extremely slim chance of being customizable.. aside from maybe equipment, I'm sure he wants people to keep discussing it because it's an intriguing concept they've probably not fully taken into consideration yet.. He's no Kojima, I doubt he's deliberately hiding super big things like this in plain sight..
#50SkyCrackersPosted 6/12/2014 4:23:33 PM
Aonuma is probably just trolling us. Don't read into anything he says.
---
"Darwin gave us sensory organs for a purpose" -my friend, demonstrating his understanding of evolution