From the quote I read, Aonuma never confirmed...

#61FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 4:58:27 PM
edgarmorrtis posted...

http://playeressence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WiiU_Zelda_scrn02_E3-1.jpg

Are we looking at the same picture? The shirt is not that loose. It's tight enough to be able to see the lightest amount of mammary development. This Link looks to be about 12 to 14 at the youngest. You'd see something if it was there at all.

The eyelashes aren't any more pronounced than they usually are, and it's biological fact that men tend to have longer, more pronounced eyelashes than women.

If you look at the fan photoshopped pics (the ones attempting to make him look more like a female) and compare them to actual still images from the trailer (i recomend using youtube for that) then it will start becoming painfully obvious how male Link is.
#62edgarmorrtisPosted 6/12/2014 5:00:46 PM
Abugumgum posted...
Again, the interviews do not in any way confirm that Link in the trailer is not a girl.

Again. Aonuma used a male pronoun when talking about him, even expressing a little bit of confusion and surprise that the some fans even thought it was a girl.

If it was a girl, he would have said she.

Obviously something like this is a big deal, the internet has proved this. If it were the case they wouldn't have left any room for confusion.

Quit grasping at straws with this, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.
---
The world will look up and shout "save us". And I'll look down and whisper "Hodor".
#63FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 5:02:58 PM
edgarmorrtis posted...
Again. Aonuma used a male pronoun when talking about him, even expressing a little bit of confusion and surprise that the some fans even thought it was a girl.

Obviously something like this is a big deal, the internet has proved this. If it were the case they wouldn't have left any room for confusion.

Quit grasping at straws with this, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.
#64Luke_the_Duke15Posted 6/12/2014 5:06:22 PM
Abugumgum posted...
Luke_the_Duke15 posted...
I've stated multiple times that I think it's very plausible character customization could be in the game, I don't know how you missed it. I'm arguing they wouldn't outright change Link's gender like that because people would become stuck on it, and not be able to look at anything else in the trailer. They didn't want that to be the focus.

Aonuma's language when he said it was intentional was also very indecisive, like he wasn't sure if it was truly completely intentional.

And girls can begin to develop breasts as early as age eight. Link clearly looks older than that, and maybe that frame has to do with the fact that, hm, I don't know, Link's a guy?! It's not a generalization of what women are supposed to look like, it's an observation of what most women DO look like.

*facepalm*
Oh my god. I know about biological development. Do you know that some women are considered flat chested? Link in the trailer is wearing a loose fitting top that would not necessarily show small breasts. So just because the character doesn't have huge cans doesn't serve as proof that said character is male. Particularly in light of the rather feminine frame and appearance in comparison to past Links. Male Link is androgynous. Why wouldn't female Link also be androgynous. In the hypothetical scenario that you were seeing a female Link, how would you expect her to look?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/161/9/3/the_legend_of_zelda_wii_u_4_by_zeonuchiha-d7ltqmf.png

Smaller waist, less broad shoulders, more feminine eyelashes.
I would not expect a female Link to be a busty stereotypical anime fanservice character. I would expect a female Link to have an athletic build.

Because a woman can either have no breasts, or have breasts bigger than Jupiter, and a man can never have a smaller build, especially at the relatively young age Link is at in this game. Nothing else at all.

Also, like edgar said, that shirt isn't nearly as loose fitting as you're making it seem. You'd be able to see SOME form of breasts in that.

Link was androgynous before, but he still had the body of a man, as seen in Twilight Princess in the sumo tutorial. He was never androgynous to the point of having a body that DIDN'T look like his sex, which would be the case if he was female here.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#65Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:09:32 PM(edited)
- The breast thing is getting weird. Are you seriously telling me that you think this is impossibly flat chested for a woman? Do a google image search on flat chested women. Are you telling me you would see all of those clearly under that tunic? please.

- Small waist to hip ratio is feminine trait. This Link has the small waist to hip ratio unlike any previous Link ever at any age.

As for the eyes. I am referring to the way they look in anime. Link's eyes here are more like female eyes in anime.

I haven't seen any youtube photoshops, and I'd rather not look for them. I'll see them if you link me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116035334&postcount=1656
#66Luke_the_Duke15Posted 6/12/2014 5:15:47 PM(edited)
No, I'm not saying a woman can't be flat chested, now you're just putting words in my mouth. But over 99% of the women I've met in real life have breasts in some form or another. It's more than likely if Link was a girl here he (or she, in this case) WOULD have breasts of some kind. I mean, look at all adult incarnations of Zelda. She has breasts, so I don't know why you're so stuck on the idea that a female Link wouldn't.

- Small waist to hip ratio is feminine trait. This Link has the small waist to hip ratio unlike any previous Link ever at any age.

A flat chest is also a masculine trait too. There are a lot of Japanese male characters with a body build like you're describing anyway.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#67Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:14:28 PM
edgarmorrtis posted...
Abugumgum posted...
Again, the interviews do not in any way confirm that Link in the trailer is not a girl.

1.Would not be disappointed. I plan to play as the male Link either way. That said, I think what I think.
2. He did not express confusion or surprise. He stated that it was intentional. And then he said he wouldn't say anything specific on the matter. If this is just going to be another male Link, I figure he would out right state that it was. So I uphold my belief that this Link is customizable.

Also you guys have a really weird inability to comprehend the notion of a flat chested female.
#68Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:21:09 PM(edited)
No, I'm not saying a woman can't be flat chested, now you're just putting words in my mouth. But over 99% of the women I've met in real life have breasts in some form or another. It's more than likely if Link was a girl here he (or she, in this case) WOULD have breasts of some kind. I mean, look at all adult incarnations of Zelda. She has breasts, so I don't know why you're so stuck on the idea that a female Link wouldn't.

I'm not saying a female Link wouldn't have breasts, I am just saying that the tunic is loose fitting enough that a female Link could likely have breasts that don't really stand out in a tunic like that. I feel like it is kind of a ridiculous notion to think that the only thing missing here is large boobs. That if they wanted to show us a female Link, they could have done so with this exact same design plus bigger boobs.

And even androgynous Japanese male characters don't often have a more feminine waist to hip ratio (as in wider hips, smaller waist.. Unless you have examples, as I might not be up to date on this.
#69ZLn13Posted 6/12/2014 5:19:36 PM
Link is male, the game is called THE LEGEND OF ZELDA. If zelda is in the game and you have to save her than link is a guy.

here is the article of the director confirming this for himself but he states "you are the character" which doesn't make sense since he's referring link as male.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/
---
3ds FC: 2148-8148-7848
Greninja is a sword user and you know it!
#70A_MAZ_INGPosted 6/12/2014 5:20:57 PM
Abugumgum posted...
He both refers to the character as Link and he in this.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2014/06/the-character-we-saw-in-the-zelda-u-trailer-was-link-after-all/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-character-we-saw-in-the-zelda-u-trailer-was-link-after-all

I figured someone would say this. See I don't think the gender pronoun can really be taken as confirmation. He is referring to Link in general. And he also stated that he wouldn't say anything specific, which honestly implies that there is more to this. If Link was jut male I feel like he would go right out and say it, but all I the commentary about player input seems to be giving us a different narrative.

People used this same logic to argue it wasn't Link. "Well he never said it was Link so it still could be someone else!"

I agree he left the door open (a tiny crack), but I don't think that line of thinking works