Your thoughts: One-to-One sword play with the depth of WW or TP

#1iKhanicPosted 7/17/2014 3:05:29 PM
One of the issues a lot of people see with SS is that it turned combat into more of a puzzle. You lost a lot of the depth and action that you had in previous games.

So my question is do you think it would be possible for a game to offer one-to-one sword play while keeping the depth of earlier games. And how well would it work? Would you like to see this in this game or in future games?

I feel like with a little bit of experimentation, they could actually manage that depth. Imagine if you kept the Back Slice and Helm Splitter, and had more item use in SS. Or if enemies had both a shield and a sword, such that you had to use dodging and timing techniques in addition to aiming your slash in the correct direction.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#2DiogenesKCPosted 7/17/2014 3:16:59 PM
the more you try to argue for wagglesword, the less i want it
---
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew
I'm a night owl, and a wise bird too
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 3:20:15 PM
DiogenesKC posted...
the more you try to argue for wagglesword, the less i want it

I'm not. This topic is about whether it would work. Not what I think Zelda needs to use.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#4DekuFireMagePosted 7/17/2014 3:26:22 PM
I don't think it would really work unless it either involved motions far too complicated to be replicated easily, or involved button use.
---
Not exactly the chosen one.
Just because you think something is obvious, doesn't mean that other people will see it that way. In fact, you might even be wrong.
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 3:31:59 PM
DekuFireMage posted...
I don't think it would really work unless it either involved motions far too complicated to be replicated easily, or involved button use.

I think it would definitely require more involved button pressing. The best motion controlled games usually do actually. It's kind of sad because SS kind of felt afraid to use buttons at all. Motion controls aren't precise enough to do everything yet, and I'm not sure if even human capacity is.
---
#6GoombacrusherPosted 7/17/2014 3:35:57 PM
Nah
---
http://i.imgur.com/pLE4OWy.png http://i.imgur.com/eBWcN1b.gif
http://i.imgur.com/FeUoGvy.gif
#7iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 3:36:45 PM
Goombacrusher posted...
Nah

Why not?
---
#8Faliz18Posted 7/17/2014 4:09:16 PM
One to one motion controls don't exist

Also, lol@thinking they'll require a $50 controller from last gen to play a game on a new system
---
World Renowned Savior of the Zelda Series
#9LabinskyPosted 7/17/2014 4:48:47 PM
Can you explain what you mean by "the depth of previous games?" There wasn't much depth at all to those combat systems. Saying that SS made combat into a "puzzle" actually makes it sound deeper than the other games. I don't have much to contribute here because there's nothing at all about direction-based combat that inhibits depth.
#10GroosetasticPosted 7/17/2014 4:57:39 PM
I prefer button presses to swinging a gas powered--sorry, battery powered stick.
---
Official Welcoming Committee and Groose Fan Club Chairman of the Zelda Wii U Board
Happy Retirement, Mr. William Wynneas Wynn.