Rate how happy you would be with this default control scheme for the Game Pad

#11wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 8:10:02 AM
iKhanic posted...
-That's the problem. If I spend 300 dollars on a system, I want the components of it to be used. I'm sorry but Zelda U SHOULDN'T be pro controller compatible.

It should be enough that this game makes use of the Wii U's specs to their full extent; I'm sure that the world of Zelda Wii U would have been impossible to execute well on a previous Nintendo console. And it would be bad for the developers to limit options AGAIN; if there are Zelda fans that aren't fond of using the Game Pad a lot, then they should have the option of the Pro Controller as an alternative.

-I'm not sure what you are saying here. My point is that Zelda should always be 3rd Person, and we don't need development time wasted on 1st.

Previous 3D Zelda games have had a first person perspective, and it wouldn't really be any different here. Items like the Bow already have a first person perspective as a core element, so it will take barely any time at all to implement one that simply doesn't involve an item.

-It's button mashing combat. Your combat system can only be so deep when you only have one attack button. If Zelda U goes for a traditional control scheme, it needs to be more interesting with multiple attack buttons.

Or the Stamina Meter, Hidden Skills, Magic Meter, and items could be more deeply ingrained into the combat than ever before. The Wind Waker, like I've said in the past, had a very effective combat system, and expanding upon it with elements like Stamina alongside improved enemy AI would be enough to make the best one in a Zelda game yet.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#12iKhanicPosted 7/18/2014 8:18:41 AM
wiiking96 posted...
iKhanic posted...
-That's the problem. If I spend 300 dollars on a system, I want the components of it to be used. I'm sorry but Zelda U SHOULDN'T be pro controller compatible.

It should be enough that this game makes use of the Wii U's specs to their full extent; I'm sure that the world of Zelda Wii U would have been impossible to execute well on a previous Nintendo console. And it would be bad for the developers to limit options AGAIN; if there are Zelda fans that aren't fond of using the Game Pad a lot, then they should have the option of the Pro Controller as an alternative.

Limiting control options isn't something devs just do for kicks. Limiting options is done so that one option can be the full focus. The Wii U's specs aren't really that remarkable in the larger scheme of things. The system's differentiating factor is the Gamepad, and it needs to be fully utilized in gameplay.

Like I've said, after playing TP and SS on Wii for several years, WW's combat bored me. I agree that it had a well executed system, but it just wasn't engaging. If this Zelda uses button controls, I want it to take advantage of the benefits of button controls, namely, the freedom of having far more complex and quick paced combos. If it just uses a single button system similar to Wind Waker, I'd much rather it just do it with motion control for an equally effective but more engaging system.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#13DannyM4nn1223Posted 7/18/2014 8:25:58 AM
1/10
No roll, no point
---
Nin ID:SamsumgPony
PSN: Coco_Puffss48
#14GoombacrusherPosted 7/18/2014 8:29:54 AM
wiiking96 posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
The "automatically shield when locked on" thing in TP was pretty stupid.

I'm pretty sure that this was the case in OoT, MM, and TWW as well.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong
---
http://i.imgur.com/pLE4OWy.png http://i.imgur.com/eBWcN1b.gif
http://i.imgur.com/FeUoGvy.gif
#15wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 8:36:14 AM
iKhanic posted...
Limiting control options isn't something devs just do for kicks. Limiting options is done so that one option can be the full focus. The Wii U's specs aren't really that remarkable in the larger scheme of things. The system's differentiating factor is the Gamepad, and it needs to be fully utilized in gameplay.

For a traditional adventure series like LoZ, it's not a good idea to force a console's hardware features into its gameplay. The developers just see what they can do with a traditional control scheme that allows for multiple options. The Pro Controller would work very well for the long stretches of gameplay that a players of a game like Zelda Wii U are sure to have, and restricting it from use so that Game Pad mechanics can be put in just for the sake of having them is a bad idea. The developers should focus on innovating and improving upon what has been consistent among several different games of the series, such as puzzle solving and overworld content, not on the control scheme.

Like I've said, after playing TP and SS on Wii for several years, WW's combat bored me. I agree that it had a well executed system, but it just wasn't engaging.

This makes you a minority who merely has a bias towards unique control setups. The combat in TWW is very very engaging to this day; this is coming from a person who played it after all the other 3D Zeldas.

If this Zelda uses button controls, I want it to take advantage of the benefits of button controls, namely, the freedom of having far more complex and quick paced combos.

Zelda benefits from having fairly simple combat on the surface level, but interesting enemies to fight against and items to make use of; these are related to exploration and puzzle solving as well, which is what makes Zelda games such cohesive packages. Zelda Wii U should emphasize what makes Zelda stand out from other games of its genre

If it just uses a single button system similar to Wind Waker, I'd much rather it just do it with motion control for an equally effective but more engaging system.

Motion Controls are only more engaging for a portion of Zelda fans, but an equally large - if not larger - portion, finds them a nuisance. Button controls are not a nuisance for anyone, so they're a superior choice.
---
#16wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 8:36:49 AM
DannyM4nn1223 posted...
1/10
No roll, no point

A: Advanced movement options & interact with objects.
---
#17chazmataz123Posted 7/18/2014 8:41:01 AM
It is so much more comfortable to use the ZL/ZR than it is just the L and R, so I want ZL to be lock on and ZR to run, while L and R are used for items.
#18wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 8:45:39 AM
chazmataz123 posted...
It is so much more comfortable to use the ZL/ZR than it is just the L and R, so I want ZL to be lock on and ZR to run, while L and R are used for items.

My logic was that it would make sense to use 1 index finger for items and 1 for more basic actions, but I do see what you mean.
---
#19iKhanicPosted 7/18/2014 8:46:25 AM
wiiking96 posted...
iKhanic posted...

For a traditional adventure series like LoZ, it's not a good idea to force a console's hardware features into its gameplay. The developers just see what they can do with a traditional control scheme that allows for multiple options. The Pro Controller would work very well for the long stretches of gameplay that a players of a game like Zelda Wii U are sure to have, and restricting it from use so that Game Pad mechanics can be put in just for the sake of having them is a bad idea. The developers should focus on innovating and improving upon what has been consistent among several different games of the series, such as puzzle solving and overworld content, not on the control scheme.

Like I've said, after playing TP and SS on Wii for several years, WW's combat bored me. I agree that it had a well executed system, but it just wasn't engaging.

This makes you a minority who merely has a bias towards unique control setups. The combat in TWW is very very engaging to this day; this is coming from a person who played it after all the other 3D Zeldas.

If this Zelda uses button controls, I want it to take advantage of the benefits of button controls, namely, the freedom of having far more complex and quick paced combos.

Zelda benefits from having fairly simple combat on the surface level, but interesting enemies to fight against and items to make use of; these are related to exploration and puzzle solving as well, which is what makes Zelda games such cohesive packages. Zelda Wii U should emphasize what makes Zelda stand out from other games of its genre

If it just uses a single button system similar to Wind Waker, I'd much rather it just do it with motion control for an equally effective but more engaging system.

Motion Controls are only more engaging for a portion of Zelda fans, but an equally large - if not larger - portion, finds them a nuisance. Button controls are not a nuisance for anyone, so they're a superior choice.

It's not a matter of forcing the hardware features into the game, it's a matter of evolving the game/series based on the new hardware available. It could easily have been said back in 1998 that 2D top-down visuals are more suited to the Zelda series, but instead they took advantage of the hardware. It doesn't matter if the hardware it a new high tech controller or dramatically increased power. New console hardware is new console hardware, and it's up to developers to innovate around that hardware. Not to stay rooted to the series past.

You asked me if I would be happy with that control scheme, not if I thought other Zelda fans would be. I consider motion controls to be the superior option in cases where combat is restricted to simple button presses, so your system would not make me happy. And if that Zelda Informer poll is any indication, the majority of the Zelda fanbase LIKED motion controls. It's just a small vocal minority.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#20wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 8:51:29 AM
Goombacrusher posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
The "automatically shield when locked on" thing in TP was pretty stupid.

I'm pretty sure that this was the case in OoT, MM, and TWW as well.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong

Turns out I am. I just never really noticed the difference.
---