What Zelda Games Are Actually "Linear"

#1ak14ak14Posted 7/19/2014 8:30:40 PM
When describing flaws of Zelda games they don't like, people often throw around the word linear. For example, someone might complain that Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were disappointing because they were too linear.
These people don't understand what linear means. Besides the original Zelda, A Link Between Worlds, and maybe OoT (unless I'm missing one), all Zelda games are linear. The only way a Zelda game is nonlinear is if you can choose the path you take, instead of following a set path that the developers intended.
Some might complain that TP is linear and therefore it is worse than WW, but WW is just as linear. Any zelda game in which there's only one order you can go through the dungeons is linear. So before you go around proclaiming a game sucks because it is linear, actually think about what the word means. The original game in the series may be nonlinear, but aside from that the Zelda series is a very linear series. And there's nothing wrong with that, but none of the games should be penalized for this.
#2MrKoyemshiPosted 7/19/2014 8:46:29 PM
They're mostly pretty linear, but in various ways (overworld progression, overworld design, dungeon order, dungeon progression, etc.) and to various extents.
---
Official Female Zelda of the Zelda Wii U Board
#3Pendragon71037Posted 7/19/2014 8:50:28 PM
In WW you can do a pair of dungeons in either order.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 7. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Kabutops: because who needs hands?
#4wiiking96Posted 7/19/2014 9:00:11 PM
The problem is when the game withholds meaningful exploration possibilities for too long. Twilight Princess has this problem, and so it takes a while before players can really roam free; this does result in the game constantly getting better the more you play it, but it's a reasonable criticism. It's even worse in Skyward Sword, as there's a substantially less amount of optional content in the overworld.

Compare this to Majora's Mask: Several features of Clocktown are open to interact with on the first cycle alone. You can try out the underground Deku minigame, start your bank account, learn the secret forms of the Song of Time, play the treasure chest minigame, do the first half of Anju's Grandmother's quest, and chat with a lot of different NPCs. Things expand even further on the next cycle when you're back to human form. You can get the Bomber's Notebook, discover the secret chest in the tunnel leading to the Observatory, buy two different kinds of bombs, start some things with Anju's sidequest, explore around Termina Field, check out Romani Ranch on the third day, find Kamaro at night, help out the Bomb Shop lady, and probably a bunch of other things.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#5MrKoyemshiPosted 7/19/2014 9:00:25 PM
^ Actually, I'm pretty sure Makar won't show up behind the waterfall until you've finished the Earth Temple.
---
#6LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/19/2014 9:01:27 PM
They're all linear except Legend of Zelda and Link Between Worlds
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#7MrKoyemshiPosted 7/19/2014 9:02:58 PM
stahp mano
---
#8iKhanicPosted 7/19/2014 9:07:21 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
They're all linear except Legend of Zelda and Link Between Worlds

And ALttP, and Ocarina of Time, and Zelda 2 (I think)
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#9LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/19/2014 9:09:58 PM
No, those games are linear
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#10iKhanicPosted 7/19/2014 9:11:30 PM(edited)
LaManoNeraII posted...
No, those games are linear

No they aren't. The definition of linear is that every mandatory point in the game must be done in a set order.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy