Should they give the option of choosing Link's gender in this game?

#31dunkisPosted 7/5/2012 10:01:14 AM
I still don't see why people don't think of this solution every time this topic comes up. My solution is simply to have the incarnation of Link also have a sister of similar age and potential (fraternal twins maybe?). Link can stay his own character, you don't have to use Zelda, but you'd still have the same abilities and whatnot. As a bonus, you could probably make a co-op mode with the two siblings working together if you have two players. You could give the series a new spin but still keep that Zelda feel pretty easily.
---
3DS 3394-3558-7825
#32ZvolTxPosted 7/5/2012 4:12:24 PM
My only thought is: why in the world would I want a game that is aimed towards young girls?
---
Ahh, another fine day of trolling. http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg
Dem mods....
#33Stupid Pirate Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 8:43:28 PM
ZvoLtx posted...
My only thought is: why in the world would I want a game that is aimed towards young girls?

Because its impossible to market towards multiple demographics.
---
The Grand Inquisitor encourages you to floss daily.
#34Muljo StphoPosted 7/7/2012 7:23:17 PM
dunkis posted...
I still don't see why people don't think of this solution every time this topic comes up. My solution is simply to have the incarnation of Link also have a sister of similar age and potential (fraternal twins maybe?). Link can stay his own character, you don't have to use Zelda, but you'd still have the same abilities and whatnot. As a bonus, you could probably make a co-op mode with the two siblings working together if you have two players. You could give the series a new spin but still keep that Zelda feel pretty easily.

My point that I always bring up in topics like this is kind of similar to that. The thing is that they've already created a character that is essentially "female Link" and her name is Ashei. Or as an alternative Link-like female character, maybe they'll want to go more the direction of Karane. Or they don't even necessarily have to make a female character who's just a girly version of Link. There's always Zelda as well (with the option of making her a Sheik-like character again or a Tetra-like character again or even just using her as-is).

With the Ashei suggestion in mind, my idea was that maybe they could start by introducing more of a group dynamic with a whole cast of heroes like the people from Telma's bar. Of course, Link and Ashei were clearly the most combat-ready of the bunch in TP so they'd probably share most of the spotlight while the others serve more of a support role. Still, we could swap out characters somehow, and each one would have their own fighting style and skills and maybe even different ways of using each item we find. Maybe even throw in some optional co-op play like you also suggested. Do a game or two with a setup like that and it'll get Ashei some exposure so that she can be accepted by people as the female equivalent to Link.

I would not expect them to just jump right into a game starring her alone though. That would probably require getting her recognized and accepted by including her over and over again in several games alongside Link first.

And I would not expect them to just toss her in as little more than a "pallet swap" of Link with an option to choose male or female before you start the game. She's similar to Link in that she grew up away from the heart of civilization and she doesn't talk much, but she has her own separate background from him and she would have her own motivations for going out on a quest.

Also, this topic has been good so far but it's ****ing stupid all the talk you usually see in topics like this assuming that a Zelda game with a female lead would somehow require that all other characters be gender swapped as well ("Prince Zeldo" and all that other stupid nonsense.)
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#35Ether101Posted 7/10/2012 7:27:34 AM
Stupid Pirate Guy posted...
Nintendo keeps saying they want to broaden the audience of Zelda players. How would you feel if they had the option to make Link female with the idea that it would appeal more to younger girls who hadn't played Zelda before?

If you think about it Link's gender doesn't really affect anything in the previous games. I know people always say that "Link loves Zelda in SS" and "Midna loves Link", but those relationships could simply be platonic and would remain the same whether Link was male or female.

Neither of those were even close to being platonic. There be no reason for Link to ever be female as he wouldn't change himself and there's nobody in the canon that should be able to do it.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#36Muljo StphoPosted 7/10/2012 12:51:16 PM
Nobody else can ever be a hero? I don't think that's necessarily true.

On some level, yes, Link is a firmly established character and he is THE hero in the series. But on some level the heroes of all of these games are all separate people and "Link" is just a generic stand-in for whoever the hell these people actually are. The developers just don't want to take the time to invent a whole new character every time. (Plus, it's hard to do that now that Link is so established anyway.)

I think that while it's true that not everybody in Hyrule has the potential to be a hero, many of them do carry that potential and circumstances will call forth whoever is right for the job from that subset of the population. In the situations that we have seen, they've just all coincidentally been represented as a Link instead of a Rusl or Ashei or Colin or Ralph or whoever else.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#37Ether101Posted 7/11/2012 5:51:01 AM
Why to miss what Link is and being blind supporter of the Zelda teams never ending laziness.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#38Krio Lv3Posted 7/11/2012 10:07:32 AM
I'd rather have a Zelda game, they could easily broaden the games horizons by making Zelda the lead in a game, and have her rescue Link, give her Shiek as well, you could have games where Zelda has to use her magic and Shieks speed/agility to complete them.
---
Taylor Lautner - Giving me strength since the New Moon
#39Weum67Posted 7/11/2012 12:25:48 PM
imo NO! I dont think that will ever happen. But if its a 2 player title a female playable character, like Zelda...sure.
#40Sega9599Posted 7/12/2012 1:41:45 PM
The thing is, Link isn't just a faceless protagonist who doesn't really act or have much bearing on other people ala Pokemon.

Not saying girls can't be heros (Samus) but It'd be like asking why not make Samus a guy, or why not make Starfox have a female as the main character?

If they want to do that, they should go an alternate route and have a separate game, such as Super Princess Peach.
---
Defeated....and we were told you were the best....