Are there any games like Zelda that you really like?

#1Redmage1987Posted 12/28/2012 6:15:18 PM
I've been playing Final Fantasy Adventure on the Gameboy along with Skyward Sword at the moment. Love that game.

Are there any games that play very similar to Zelda that you really like?
---
The Old School Video Game King!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Redmage1987
#2DChybridkingPosted 12/28/2012 6:38:50 PM
Okami. I wish that game could get a full fledged sequel.
---
Fight to preserve that which inspires hope - Ezio Auditore
#3MooglePeruPosted 12/28/2012 8:10:15 PM
Okami. Just finished for the first time, after two atempts long ago, today. I was almost moved to tears.

I usually judge Zeldas on 5 aspects: Story - Combat - Dungeons - Overworld - Rewards.

And what did you know? Okami delivered on those five. The story was lovable and good enough that you bonded with the characthers of the game, as showed by my manly tears on Issu'ns Crowning Moment of Awesome before the end.

The combat system was good, although enemies were all but mandatory: I just skipped them because they bored me to death and there was no necessity to fight them. The bosses were fantastic and creative, though. Having 15 weapons in total was really cool, and the "magic" was delivered by the Brush Techs. And I actually used them a lot, unlike the main Zeldas where I just stab anything that moves to death.

The Dungeons were a mixed bag: some cool, some tricky, some short, some long, some awesome. But in average they were cool and fun to play.

The overworld was that I loved the most. It was huge, and using techniques to explore more of it resembled Metroid Prime/ the 2D Zeldas, something that 3DZelda has not done yet well. It was really well done. My only gripes are with the "random encounters" : I would have loved it if the enemies were visible on the main field.

And the rewards! Every sidequest had a reward that was not either a Heart Piece or yet another bunch of Rupees! They were so well done, and you got cool spells, new weapons, upgrades, new attacks, heck, even new main gameplay features (stealing was something that I definitely didn't expect). THAT's how Zelda should handle its Sidequests: Having rewards that actually make us want to finish the quest.

So I grade it 9/10. Good game, good game. No, scratch that. Amazing game.
---
Kupo King of the Skyward Sword Revolution
- Fighting for a better board free of suck -
#4ZvolTxPosted 12/28/2012 8:18:06 PM
The Darksiders games are fairly enjoyable. They essentially take a more western approach to Zelda, in both aesthetics and in design. They have less of an emphasis on puzzles and more on combat. the combat is similar to God of War, being faster paced and incorporating combinations between weapon types, which results in the combat being very well fleshed out. The game follows a very similar progression as Zelda games tend to, and there are similarities to be made in the soundtrack as well.
---
Ahh, another fine day of trolling. http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg
"this game will be I survive" - MageGuyInfinity
#5ColebyPosted 12/28/2012 8:32:59 PM
Came in to say Darksiders as well, excellent Zelda-esque games.
---
ERROR 404
File Not Found
#6Amazing AmpharosPosted 12/28/2012 11:29:08 PM
There's an old Gameboy game called Final Fantasy Adventure. It's not really a Final Fantasy game and doesn't even play like some of the other games in the series it actually does belong to; it's basically a (quite good) Zelda clone in the vein of the older 2d Zeldas. It has somewhat more of an emphasis on the plot (actually a very good plot especially for a Gameboy game), and the world is built in a way with more linear progression but also a bigger focus on the combat. It works really well, and the game isn't even really super long so any fan of the old Zeldas should definitely give it a whirl.

Here's a video from a let's play at mid-game. The play is fairly mediocre in a variety of ways (he's just really overleveled; play that bad should not have beaten that boss), but it shows off a lot of what's going on with the game in a 10 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOM5ut3ONwI
---
Pokemon White Friend Code: 4641 8955 0950
#7nessonett106Posted 12/28/2012 11:50:02 PM
Pandora's Tower on the Wii is a little Zelda-like it its dungeons, with puzzles, platforming and combat.... Great game.
---
MH3 Name: Marty . . . . EU servers . . . .
#8Redmage1987(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 11:55:08 PM
Amazing Ampharos posted...
There's an old Gameboy game called Final Fantasy Adventure. It's not really a Final Fantasy game and doesn't even play like some of the other games in the series it actually does belong to; it's basically a (quite good) Zelda clone in the vein of the older 2d Zeldas. It has somewhat more of an emphasis on the plot (actually a very good plot especially for a Gameboy game), and the world is built in a way with more linear progression but also a bigger focus on the combat. It works really well, and the game isn't even really super long so any fan of the old Zeldas should definitely give it a whirl.

Here's a video from a let's play at mid-game. The play is fairly mediocre in a variety of ways (he's just really overleveled; play that bad should not have beaten that boss), but it shows off a lot of what's going on with the game in a 10 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOM5ut3ONwI

That was the game I mentioned in the first post, lol. I love that game. I hope it comes out on the 3DS eShop.
---
The Old School Video Game King!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Redmage1987
#9SilfalasPosted 12/29/2012 6:55:24 AM
Okami. One of the best I have played. The dungeons aspect is not quite the same though. FF adventure is one I will play one day. I promise.
---
Currently playing: Patapon.
#10DanspurtPosted 12/29/2012 8:05:32 AM
Goof Troop!
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln