I really hate how the Minifigs just kind of morph into and out of vehicles....

#1crowkillersPosted 10/24/2012 8:35:02 PM
I just watched a 15 minute gameplay video and I have to say that I am quite disappointed with the collision detection in this game... I was really expecting this to be much better than the previous Lego games, but it honestly doesn't seem to be much improved...
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
#2TottentanzPosted 10/26/2012 9:01:07 AM
crowkillers posted...
I just watched a 15 minute gameplay video and I have to say that I am quite disappointed with the collision detection in this game... I was really expecting this to be much better than the previous Lego games, but it honestly doesn't seem to be much improved...

LOL, I'm not going to be nice about this.

You are critiquing a non finished game that they made a demo for. Why not save comments like this for when they actually release footage of the game when it is ready for launch. It isnt even a launch day game, and I dont even think they confirmed a date for it yet.
#3crowkillers(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2012 3:13:46 PM
So then would you agree with me that if this is something that does end up making it into the "Finished" Game, that for a "Next Gen" Lego game that it is kind of a weak way around entering and exiting?

I have very high hopes for this game, and I am really hoping this is something that gets fixed, because as of right now, this is a rather bland technique being used even for the current gen standards...
---
#4TottentanzPosted 10/29/2012 9:22:20 AM
crowkillers posted...
So then would you agree with me that if this is something that does end up making it into the "Finished" Game, that for a "Next Gen" Lego game that it is kind of a weak way around entering and exiting?

I have very high hopes for this game, and I am really hoping this is something that gets fixed, because as of right now, this is a rather bland technique being used even for the current gen standards...

No, I wont argue with you about this because you are missing the ball on this one.

You are tossing out "next gen" and "current gen" as if they matter about game design with the beef that you have with this game.

This game might look better or pull off things that the current gen systems cant do, I dont honestly know, but I do know that the gripe that you have is due to the programmers and their software.

For example, the new physics engine that EA finally got around to putting into Madden was possible in 2006, and who knows how long they have been holding it back from the franchise because they, like Apple, limit the amount of improvements made with each version because they want more money and easy ways to produce "new" games.

How this relates to this Lego game is that what ever gripe that you have with it with the hit detection or physics is probably something they could have fixed long ago if they saw it as a problem. That the software is probably out there for them to invest in, and they could possibly have fixed it if this is an issue you didnt like in any of their other games as well. However, it is up to the publisher/developer to decide what goes in the game and how things run.

Long story long, dude, this isnt a next gen vs current gen situation, this is either bad software, lazy programming, or actually chosen technique that they wanted.

As I have stated in the past many many many times, least amount of effort for the greatest reward will hold back gaming always, and the people who expect a sudden leap in the next gen are kidding themselves. Devs will put in spit and polish to make games look better with the software they have long after they should have upgraded to better engines. Publishers wont pay for software upgrades for most of their games and will reserve the best stuff for what they deem worthy.

By the by, this is a cartoony Lego game, I am sure we will never see anything close to realism in it, and if we did then it wouldnt be cartoony anymore.
#5crowkillers(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2012 11:35:03 AM
I am not saying anything about realism as I know this is just a cartoony game, but I was expecting the characters to at least open the door of a vehicle to get into it.... I mean they have made little Lego doors for building vehicles that opened and closed since I was a kid...

It wouldn't really bother me as much if they even went to the side of the vehicle and just sort of "Zapped" in, but the fact that they just magically jump and float through the roof looks beyond cheesy, even for a Cartoony game...

I understand this is laziness on the programmers part, but you'd think whomever was in charge of this project would have wanted to implement this better..

Other than this small imperfection, I think the game is looking really nice...
---
#6TottentanzPosted 10/31/2012 3:56:47 PM
crowkillers posted...
I am not saying anything about realism as I know this is just a cartoony game, but I was expecting the characters to at least open the door of a vehicle to get into it.... I mean they have made little Lego doors for building vehicles that opened and closed since I was a kid...

It wouldn't really bother me as much if they even went to the side of the vehicle and just sort of "Zapped" in, but the fact that they just magically jump and float through the roof looks beyond cheesy, even for a Cartoony game...

I understand this is laziness on the programmers part, but you'd think whomever was in charge of this project would have wanted to implement this better..

Other than this small imperfection, I think the game is looking really nice...

Yeah, one would hope the programmers would do a better job whenever they have more resources to pull something off, but it could also be some strange mechanical problem that doesnt look nice in the game or something.

Who knows?
#7crowkillers(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 2:49:41 PM
I got to thinking and it could be because Lego doesn't want to show that random cars are actually being "Stolen" So the designers are using this more simplistic technique...
---