Interview about the 3DS version (city size explained)

#1AncientRomeBCPosted 3/21/2013 9:31:04 AM
http://techland.time.com/2013/03/06/lego-city-undercover-qa-its-like-a-whole-lego-game-on-top-of-a-city/

"Youíre also designing the 3DS prequel game, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins. Whatís that been like?"

Itís also a full 3D city, which is the first time thatís been done on the 3DS. To give credit to the team, theyíre really pushing the 3DS hardware as hard and as far as itís possible to go. Having a full 3D city on the 3DS is really quite an achievement, you know, a full traffic system with pedestrians, lots of gameplay, lots of free-play when you unlock different abilities. Itís a pretty incredible experience on a handheld.

"How big of a city are we talking in the 3DS version? How, for all the open-world game wonks reading this, would you say it compares to a city like the one in Grand Theft Auto IV?"

Itís hard to quantify, but itíll take about 10 minutes to drive around the perimeter of the city, so itís quite big. Itís not as big as GTA, but the difference is that we not only have a lot of gameplay at ground-level, we have a ton of gameplay on the rooftops as well. When you learn your free-running abilities, you can climb on top of pretty much all the rooftops and thereís loads of gameplay up there, so we have that dual layer approach going on. Not only that, weíve got 15 levels as well, so itís like a whole LEGO game on top of a city.
---
3DS XL - 2423 2409 6597
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#2IcyBlaze_XZPosted 3/22/2013 12:44:00 AM
http://techland.time.com/2013/03/06/lego-city-undercover-qa-its-like-a-whole-lego-game-on-top-of-a-city/

"Youíre also designing the 3DS prequel game, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins. Whatís that been like?"

Itís also a full 3D city, which is the first time thatís been done on the 3DS. To give credit to the team, theyíre really pushing the 3DS hardware as hard and as far as itís possible to go. Having a full 3D city on the 3DS is really quite an achievement, you know, a full traffic system with pedestrians, lots of gameplay, lots of free-play when you unlock different abilities. Itís a pretty incredible experience on a handheld.

It's not really that much of an achievement, or that incredible.

If the PSP could handle fully featured and fully realized GTA games, the 3DS can do a lot better than this.

From what I've played, the Wii U version is absolutely amazing, one of my favorite games of the year so far, but this is just another sad portable version from TT that simply wasn't given the effort it deserves and as a result lacks the gameplay refinements and overall polish of the console versions.

At least they kept the open world this around; I still can't get over how they didn't include it in LEGO Batman 2.
---
b
#3podracer35Posted 3/22/2013 11:39:49 AM
I just hope we get superbuilds in the 3DS game. Those would be awesome.
---
http://i46.tinypic.com/28lvyvc.jpg Bum, bum, buh-da-dum, Ba-dah-dah-dada Iroh man.
3DS Friend Code: 0903-3152-6750
#4DyegerPosted 3/22/2013 1:28:09 PM
@podracer35 The 3DS version has superbuilds, check this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_qH83F1J-8
#5NintenbroPosted 3/30/2013 5:29:25 PM
Honestly, 10 minutes isn't a very longtime to drive around the perimeter of a city. In Xenoblade Chronicles, some areas by themselves take much longer to traverse the perimeter. I know you're only running/swimming in Xenoblade Chronicles but still!
---
Wii FC: 8197-8833-3892-6232
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489
#6podracer35Posted 3/30/2013 5:36:40 PM
^ Well keep in mind the difference between the Wii and 3DS is pretty large. And on top of that, Xenoblade probably isn't a great example, considering that game is INSANELY huge compared to even the Wii U Lego City.

I'm impressed they managed to put the city onto the 3DS, even if it's not the whole thing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Omec2nI.jpg Bum, bum, buh-da-dum, Ba-dah-dah-dada Iroh man.
3DS Friend Code: 0903-3152-6750
#7AncientRomeBC(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 11:19:21 PM
Nintenbro posted...
Honestly, 10 minutes isn't a very longtime to drive around the perimeter of a city. In Xenoblade Chronicles, some areas by themselves take much longer to traverse the perimeter. I know you're only running/swimming in Xenoblade Chronicles but still!

Don't buy it no one's forcing you
---
3DS XL - 2423 2409 6597
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#8FF_FiendPosted 4/1/2013 7:36:22 AM
While it's not that much of an achievement technologically speaking, as others have said - at least this ISN'T just a watered down portable port. It's a prequel to the Wii U game. The mistake most LEGO games have made it just making a portable port that lacks all of the components that makes the console experience enjoyable. This really confuses me when it comes to the Vita. The Vita can absolutely handle, say, Lego Batman 2 in its full form. It wasn't a particularly large city (about as large as Gravity Rush anyway).

When it comes down to it, the 3DS isn't as capable (when we're talking about hardware), and the Vita has been getting the downgraded 3DS ports. I know that statement is going to make me unpopular on a 3DS board, so let me qualify that by saying that the 3DS still blows the Vita away when it comes to content, so power isn't everything.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#9gransPosted 4/4/2013 11:54:24 AM(edited)
The 3DS isn't nearly as powerful as the Wii U by any means, but it is a little more powerful than the original Wii. And the Wii has consistently been receiving fully fledged ports of the other console versions of the Lego games. Even the beginnings of open world elements introduced in the last couple of Lego console games between levels has been ported successfully to Wii.

The problem is that ever since Lego Indiana Jones 2, all of the handheld versions of Lego games have been essentially ports of the DS versions of the games. All of them using whatever engine the DS version happens to be using. The DS versions are fine for DS hardware standards, but the other handhelds are far more powerful and yet still receive only minor graphically enhanced ports of the watered down DS versions (still with the majority of the DS versions' limitations). The funny thing is prior to Indy 2, the PSP actually received ports of the console versions of Lego games. Three of them in fact- Lego Indy 1, Lego Star Wars 2, and Lego Batman 1. And in many aspects, the PSP versions of those games actually look better than even the 3DS and Vita versions of current Lego games. Better at least in that they're much livelier with more overall scenery detail and more characters onscreen. But since Lego Indy 2, PSP has been consistently receiving ports of the watered down DS versions (along with all the other handhelds that have come since).

The DS versions of course have heavy concessions to the core game. While the PSP, 3DS and Vita versions have a few graphical enhancements over the DS versions here and there, they're all still using the same engine and carry over many of the more obnoxious limitations. Not even including the removal of open world elements (which were only recently added in the last several Lego console games anyways). One major cutback compared to the console version is that the worlds have FAR less scenery and little details in them (such as characters moving around and scenery items you can interact with). Another is the ridiculously low amount of characters allowed onscreen at once. All other console versions of the Lego games (yes even the normal Wii versions) support immense quantities of enemies onscreen, literally armies of what appears to be hundreds of onscreen Lego characters. But the handheld versions only support about 4-5 or so characters onscreen in general.

The thought that this game is pushing the 3DS' hardware is laughable, don't even bother taking their word on it (early in the 3DS' life TT Games also claimed that Lego Pirates of the Caribbean 3DS was a direct port of the Wii version, a blatant lie). While the game certainly is more technically impressive than previous Lego handheld games of the recent past, that's not saying much. The game still appears to be using the engine framework established by the DS Lego games and this game still shows signs of many of the limitations. The draw distance is horrid, the fog reminds me of early 3D games from the 90's. The game still only supports a very tiny amount of characters or details onscreen at once (despite those details using very few polygons in the first place and still popping into view at times). And even then the game still suffers from some very nasty framerate problems. The game certainly seems better than previous 3DS Lego games at least, and does look pretty fun, but the issues remain.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#10MagoichiPosted 4/5/2013 1:41:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]