First impressions from a LEGO expert

#1EricDent1Posted 4/21/2013 6:16:04 PM
Hello, you might know me from my FAQs of several of the DS LEGO games.

Here is my opinions on this game so far (did some stuff on Albatross Island).

Game World Size: HUGE! This is on par with at least LEGO Batman 2 & LEGO Lord of the Rings for the consoles.

Stuff to do: There looks like there is going to be a TON of stuff you can do.
With several pages worth of disguises & unlockable stuff.

Music: A rather rocking sound track reminds me of the old '70s type guitar riffs.
With lots of "wah wah" guitars.

Voices: as with the last two LEGO games they have voices.
It's pretty funny sometimes, but sometimes I kinda miss the "pantomime" stuff.

Fun factor: if you are a fan of old cop movies or LEGO in general you will have fun playing this game.

Drawbacks: since this is a cartridge game, there are some noticable loading times.

3D: I don't usually play with the 3D on, but I did for a bit on this game.
It was pretty good, though you might get dizzy from the camera movement.

3DS enhancements: At least two abilities (so far) use the functions of the 3DS.
The Wire-Tap uses the gyroscope/camera to guide a cursor to pick up a signal (which is kinda difficult if your not used to it).
Safe-Cracking uses the touch screen to spin the combination.

Overall: A very fun game with lots to do, stuff to collect, and a fun story.
I rank it about even with LEGO Lord of the Rings & LEGO Batman 2 for sheer scope of gameplay.
Sure it doesn't have the familiar characters from those properties, but it's still great.

A very solid 8/10 IMO.
Knocked down a tad due to load times.
---
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6448 6021
#2AncientRomeBCPosted 4/21/2013 6:21:49 PM
agreed great game so far and tons of content for $30
---
3DS XL = 2423 2409 6597 VITA = Merlin--Camelot
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#3Reverted_PikkonPosted 4/21/2013 6:23:21 PM
You really need to play the console version. I like the 3DS version, but its nothing compared to the Wii U game. Its the best Lego game ever.
---
Luigi is better than Mario.
#4SeamusOHasseyPosted 4/21/2013 6:41:46 PM
Obviously, Wii U is a console, but what they were able to squeeze onto the cartridge with so much content is amazing. I can probably deal with the loading issues.
---
Don't panic. It's only a video game web site.- SBAllen
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Mila-Kunis-1.jpg
#5AquatrezPosted 4/21/2013 7:05:49 PM
I can tell the Wii U version is better, but for a 3DS Lego game, this thing is perfect so far! I'm enjoying it as much as the console Lego games (if not more). And for some reason, driving the cars is hella fun.
#6TaphopiliacPosted 4/21/2013 7:33:25 PM
@ TC:
Thanks for the rundown.
Snagging my copy tomorrow & looking forward to it.
Going to play Beastie Boys Sabotage video in the background for the nostalgia... :D
#7gurgitoy2Posted 4/22/2013 6:43:33 AM
I agree. I know lots of reviewers are comparing to the WiiU version, which is understandable. However, I'm comparing this to all other portable LEGO games that have come before, and this is the best of the bunch. This beats every other LEGO portable game by far. It's lots of fun, and for a portable title, the game world is huge. Yeah, there are loading times between each section, but they keep them to a minimum by not having missions spread between zones. There is so much to explore, and do it's hard to remember it all. Also, like previous games, there are areas and objects that require you to come back later because you don't have the costume or tool yet. I keep seeing (and hearing) all of these cats all over the city, and you can't collect them until later.

The 3D really is great here, and gives a real sense of depth. There was a crane in a later part of the game that is on a hill and very high, so when I took the elevator to the top, I got a sense of vertigo a little bit because you felt like you were really high. It's also less "ghosty" than other 3DS games.

I don't own a WiiU yet, but I plan to get one eventually, and will totally buy LEGO City Undercover for that, just based on how fun this is.

Oh, and one other thing about this game. It's refreshing. With all previous LEGO games, they've been tied to a franchise, so you kind of knew where the story was going. They had to retell whatever story people were familiar with. Although LEGO Batman got to take some liberties. With LEGO City, it's all fresh and new because it's an original story, so you really don't know what to expect. I loved that, not knowing where the story was going to go.
---
"Now I have chortle time. Fawful scattered your minions like litter from a sad ugly cat."
#8Valg_EnPosted 4/23/2013 10:06:28 AM
Thanks for your review, TC. Tomorrow i will get myself a copy of this game.
#9mk3601117Posted 4/24/2013 7:16:16 AM
Oh yea this is by far the greatest 3ds Lego game out there!
---
gt :Legos Gamer
#10MinamoPosted 4/26/2013 11:41:21 AM
Is LEGO Lord of the Rings freeroaming? I've heard Batman 2 is, but this is the first LEGO game I've played since the original Starwars since I didn't like their linearity. The way you worded your post makes it seem so.