For Ninja Gaiden 3 we wanted to focus on the act of cutting someone down

#1Nok_Su_KowPosted 6/5/2012 6:06:30 PM
and what it's like to actually kill someone with a sword. Once you start lopping off limbs, your enemy goes from being a living thing that you're killing to just a thing.

When you're actually cutting into a person, and you feel them getting scared, and the blood is spraying right on you, you hear their dying breaths in your ear -- that's the kind of visceral violence we're going for in Ninja Gaiden 3."

Well that didn't work out so well, let's take those limbs off shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBqRXcKLN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQEuLlcMVo
#2PedroMontanaPosted 6/18/2012 2:50:50 AM
I really wonder how honest they were when they said this. It feels a lot like an excuse for "we toned down the PS360 version to reach a broader audience" or "we were too lazy to do all these dismemberment animations" or "Nintendo paid us to cripple the PS360 version so they look better when they get the good version".

I mean, it might be a case of them simply having an honest but bad idea and then later listening to fan feedback, but i'm not sure.
---
No More Heroes
#3Nok_Su_Kow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 6:36:27 AM
I think it was mostly censorship to reach a broader audience, much like their BS with the purple mist in Sigma 2. It might also have been made to cripple the ps3/360 version to hype Razor's Edge dismemberment as a unique bullet point, help increase interest in the WiiU. Like, "ooo, a mature looking title on the WiiU. Sold!"

I think even calling it "Razor's Edge" hinted at dismemberment early on, which probably wasn't a good idea for them to reveal last year. And the time frame between NG3 and this port is very fishy, like both were being worked on at the same time, which they probably were.

Anyway, I just thought it was a funny hearing that from Hayashi in light of the new footage. Even back then, "feeling what it is to cut someone" without actual dismemberment was a tough sell.
#4PedroMontanaPosted 6/18/2012 7:09:24 AM
Nok_Su_Kow posted...

I think even calling it "Razor's Edge" hinted at dismemberment early on, which probably wasn't a good idea for them to reveal last year. And the time frame between NG3 and this port is very fishy, like both were being worked on at the same time, which they probably were.

Yea, it sounds like you're onto something here.
---
No More Heroes
#5desi_shinobiPosted 6/30/2012 10:19:05 PM
All Hayashi and his entourage was spout nonsense during the games development because they knew "its what we want to see", even though people were complaining about the features when the first E3 2010 footage was shown but Hayashi just blanked the feedback.

"People dont want to see dismemberment because they seen it before" - Hayashi said something along those lines.

what people wanted was to build on what Ninja Gaiden 2 created, not completely dismiss it and streamline it into a below average action game with kunai climbing, carrying Konna, Grip of murder constantly, QTE an apache helicopter every 10 minutes, talking to your headset, running away from things and a very annoying storyline.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is the worst sequel then DMC2 was to DMC1 but then again I actually enjoyed DMC2 for what it was.
---
PSN - desishinobi
XBL - Desi Shinobi