So I want to become a better Ninja Gaiden player...

#1PineappleFistPosted 12/8/2012 11:36:51 AM
I'm not bad at Ninja Gaiden, I'd say I'm actually pretty decent. I am however having trouble with the higher difficulties and I always have. I'd like to one day attempt Master and Ultimate Ninja but unlike DMC I can't seem to find any resources on how to be a better Ninja Gaiden player. Any experts here wanna help me out a bit?
---
Since 1998. Grasshopper Manufacture.
Punk's Not Dead
#2ikaika0083Posted 12/8/2012 12:25:32 PM
Have you taken a look at the combat guide for Ninja Gaiden 1 on the Xbox? I'm sure not everything will apply, but it might be a good place to start. I know that at least some of the instant charge techniques it mentions works it Razor's Edge as well.
#3PineappleFist(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 12:34:30 PM
ikaika0083 posted...
Have you taken a look at the combat guide for Ninja Gaiden 1 on the Xbox? I'm sure not everything will apply, but it might be a good place to start. I know that at least some of the instant charge techniques it mentions works it Razor's Edge as well.

I can go take a look. Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone else have any quick tips or points of reference? I'm sure that, no matter what, this game's hardest won't even touch NGB's hardest. Regardless of that, anything anyone can add will help. I'm always looking to improve my game.
---
Punk's Not Dead
#4KuwagataHeroPosted 12/8/2012 1:38:01 PM
This game definitely has nothing on NGB or 2. For MN and UN in this game, all you need to do is Steel on Bone. It's a completely different approach than the past games. You might even feel it to be a hollow victory.

For starters, get used to blocking and sliding. Many attacks will break your guard, but it is still helpful. Slide away as soon as that guard breaks.

Delimbing is important for activating SoB. The red aura before an enemy's attacks means it is SoB vulnerable, and enemies do these attacks much more frequently when missing an arm or leg.

Get used to each enemy's timing for their healthy and delimbed SoB attacks. Once you have this down, you can simply dodge the move and SoB.

Also, each weapon has their own range for the Strong attack, so keep that in mind. The Scythe and Kusari-gama are the best in this sense, but learn what you like.

Since upgrade costs are higher in MN and UN, make sure you choose wisely. Remember that higher level weapons allow the SoB chain to be longer. LVL 1 kills up to 2, LVL 2 to 3, and LVL 3 to 4.

Also, prepare to die.
---
If I'm being ignorant, please enlighten me.
#5PineappleFist(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 1:52:19 PM
KuwagataHero posted...
This game definitely has nothing on NGB or 2. For MN and UN in this game, all you need to do is Steel on Bone. It's a completely different approach than the past games. You might even feel it to be a hollow victory.

For starters, get used to blocking and sliding. Many attacks will break your guard, but it is still helpful. Slide away as soon as that guard breaks.

Delimbing is important for activating SoB. The red aura before an enemy's attacks means it is SoB vulnerable, and enemies do these attacks much more frequently when missing an arm or leg.

Get used to each enemy's timing for their healthy and delimbed SoB attacks. Once you have this down, you can simply dodge the move and SoB.

Also, each weapon has their own range for the Strong attack, so keep that in mind. The Scythe and Kusari-gama are the best in this sense, but learn what you like.

Since upgrade costs are higher in MN and UN, make sure you choose wisely. Remember that higher level weapons allow the SoB chain to be longer. LVL 1 kills up to 2, LVL 2 to 3, and LVL 3 to 4.

Also, prepare to die.

Thank you so much, this is just what I was looking for. I read up on the advanced combat guide for the original Gaiden and Black, but a lot of those techniques seem to be useless now. Also, in regards to the SoB, should I wait for the enemy to initiate their attack while defending or should I be offensive and keep an eye out for their SoB trigger?

Finally, any suggestions for boss fights?
---
Punk's Not Dead
#6KuwagataHeroPosted 12/8/2012 6:34:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply. That's a harder question for me.

You will probably want to be defensive most of the time, as your main offense will be Steel on Bone, but it will depend on which and how many enemies you are fighting.

The mercenaries are easy to be defensive with because they are weaker and use gunfire. You could delimb one, stay near them while guarding other attacks, and then dodge the red aura attack for the SoB.

Alchemists also cannot be SoB'd as far as I know. You must learn their movements and fight regularly. They dodge a lot, so you have to watch them.

Fiends are harder to deal with. Van Gelfs don't seem to be vulnerable to SoB, but they are fragile enough to go offensive on. Scythe Fiends have a rare SoB, but you will want to just dodge and block their attacks while fighting them with regular moves.

The bosses are actually simpler. Only attack the Regent after he has initiated his own attacks. You can usually get a full combo in after dodging his straight dash thrust.

Actually, many story bosses are only safe to attack when you dodge their attack and hit them during their recovery. Some have SoB-able attacks that you should watch out for, so do short attacks rather than long combos.

The Dinosaur fight is the same as Normal, you just have less health. Dodge him until he trips, strike his leg fat only 2-3 times and back off. Hit his head when he gains armor.

Sorry if this post is less coherent or helpful than the first.
---
If I'm being ignorant, please enlighten me.
#7PineappleFist(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:40:08 PM
KuwagataHero posted...
Sorry for the late reply. That's a harder question for me.

You will probably want to be defensive most of the time, as your main offense will be Steel on Bone, but it will depend on which and how many enemies you are fighting.

The mercenaries are easy to be defensive with because they are weaker and use gunfire. You could delimb one, stay near them while guarding other attacks, and then dodge the red aura attack for the SoB.

Alchemists also cannot be SoB'd as far as I know. You must learn their movements and fight regularly. They dodge a lot, so you have to watch them.

Fiends are harder to deal with. Van Gelfs don't seem to be vulnerable to SoB, but they are fragile enough to go offensive on. Scythe Fiends have a rare SoB, but you will want to just dodge and block their attacks while fighting them with regular moves.

The bosses are actually simpler. Only attack the Regent after he has initiated his own attacks. You can usually get a full combo in after dodging his straight dash thrust.

Actually, many story bosses are only safe to attack when you dodge their attack and hit them during their recovery. Some have SoB-able attacks that you should watch out for, so do short attacks rather than long combos.

The Dinosaur fight is the same as Normal, you just have less health. Dodge him until he trips, strike his leg fat only 2-3 times and back off. Hit his head when he gains armor.

Sorry if this post is less coherent or helpful than the first.

Thanks again!
---
Punk's Not Dead
#8BurningFlareXPosted 12/9/2012 2:58:26 AM
Well, I suggest trying on Hero first, at least to try out defending and countering and stuff.
Once you get fully used to it, you can try what you've learned on normal.
---
<Insert random pointless signature here>
#9HaruharasDeathPosted 12/9/2012 3:36:23 PM
Tips from a NG3:RE Ultimate Ninja Clearer:

Get used to blocking full time. Use lands or dodges to open up your attacks.

Steel on Bone is important and so far the only enemies I can't find a way to exploit this way are Van Gelfs, Bugs, and Dogs.

All humanoids will attempt throws which the forementioned red mist will alert you to these vulnerabilities. On Master Ninja throws get rarer (other than the weakest grunt soldiers) and they are even rarer on Ultimate Ninja. The best way to fix this is with delimbing. Weak sword attacks will delimb any normal soldier easily. Ninjas take a little more effort. With the scythe weak attacks work well on normal soldiers while heavy>heavy takes off ninja arms with ease. The next trick is how to exploit these moves. Many enemy types the simplest answer is to dodge away from them and hit heavy attack mid-dodge which will bring Ryu clutching in for the kill. Some enemies, such as TAC ninjas or the suicide of the fire head fiends getting rammed into by your dodge will stun their throw, but still allow you time to start your SoB as the red mist doesn't fade after the collision.
Easiest SoB by enemy
Gun Soldier: all
Beret Soldiers: Delimbed arm or leg rolls
Orange Knives: Delimbed arm
TAC Ninjas: Delimbed arm
Sword/Claw Ninjas: Delimbed Arm (Haven't found timing on leg always OT instead)
Mage Ninja: Will disappear, watch for the red circles to come at you dodge away and SoB
Alchemists: Delimb arm is the only time you can SoB these enemies.
Flamehead Fiends: Similar to sword ninja except it's purple smoke on the floor, same tactic
Fiend Ryu: Dodge his scythe UT and SoB
Hulk Chimeras: Force them to block weak attacks until they break your guard, dodge to the side and initiate SoB while they attempt the throw
Snake Chimeras: Will dodge weak attacks and charge throw, dash next to their side and initiate SoB
Spiney/Crystal Chimera (last boss trash) - Rarely will attempt a throw, cannot SoB after delimbing, worst monster to SoB as it is almost impossible to bait them
Giant Scythe Mech: Stick to dodging attacks until he trys to throw, won't SoB but you'll take a leg off and open him up for a OT.

Boss help:
Regent of the Mask (All forms) falls over and dies to 360 in air on stick and landing with heavy attack into 2 heavy attacks. Don't land to start move when he is throwing balls at you. TheShwarr would also recommend dual katanas as you can loop the opening heavy sword strike infinitely on him.
All non last boss helicopters: Save ninpo up before these fights. If multiple choppers, ninpo the one with the most trash on the ground helping.
Chp. 2 boss helicoptor: Save ninpo (Void) for his last form with the jet pack guys, this makes this phase take 3-4 fewer arrows depending on void's level.
Dinosaur: Chop at legs after he falls down, you'll end up under him when he gets up and can chop his legs until he goes immune or starts charging which will miss. The repeat the fall over animation on his face, stick to 2-3 attacks.
Chp 4 boss: Treat the human/hulk arms like hulks, attacking after her smash kick, snake arms are very vulnerable during breath attack. Same for the non-boss versions, stay aggressive on these fights.
Ayane Day 2 Sword alchemists: Save ninpo to regain health. Bait them into casting their magic and OLC UT them while they charge up a second barrage.
Doppleganger Ryu: Use your favorite weapon and Izuna Drop him. Long reach weapons are safest.
Fiend Ryu: I prefer a tactic like regent of the mask.
Spider bots (Day 7) shoot off their leg armor with arrows then go in for the kills, never shoot more then 1 time per landing.
Giant Dino-bot: Save ninpo (Void) for last phase and hit him after a dodge, takes about 4 arrows of health off.
Mutant Cliff: Can either keep close and SoB counter his throws by side dodging, or stay distant and wait for him to throw energy balls, land next to him and 360 heavy w/ scythe.
Anymore info you need?