Looking for an honest opinion ...

#1saleamaPosted 10/23/2013 12:02:16 PM
I have been considering this game for my nephew since launch. He loves Halo, Call of Duty, Section 8, Far Cry 3 etc.., I also want to get the game for myself so I can play online with him. Is it worth it based on his top four games listed above? The reason I ask is, I was on the PS3 beta for this game and I enjoyed it but I do not enjoy the other games he likes so I do not know if he would like this one. Does that even make sense? A little help please.
#2BugmeatPosted 10/24/2013 4:44:41 PM
I enjoyed all of those games as well as this one. But this one isn't quite like any of those either. So it's hard to say if he'll like it or not. But at this point the game is pretty cheap.

---
Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.
#3LeviCashPosted 10/26/2013 6:09:56 AM
Depends how old he is and if he has the desire to manage all the options this game offers. My 10 year old son like shooting bad guys but he lost interest in the game fairly quickly. He's very impatient though. I'm also impatient but I've been playing the game exclusively since launch. There are a lot of decisions to make in this game. Come to think of it, I've never heard a kid talking on the game.

Just buy 2 copy's and try it. It's cheap and it's the funnest game I've played since ever.
---
Scrip is used to buy items from vendors?
#4saleama(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 10:21:19 AM
LeviCash posted...
Depends how old he is and if he has the desire to manage all the options this game offers. My 10 year old son like shooting bad guys but he lost interest in the game fairly quickly. He's very impatient though. I'm also impatient but I've been playing the game exclusively since launch. There are a lot of decisions to make in this game. Come to think of it, I've never heard a kid talking on the game.

Just buy 2 copy's and try it. It's cheap and it's the funnest game I've played since ever.

Thank you! He is nine now and I have seen him sit for hours (his mother lets him and I can't stop it) playing Borderlands 2 or Minecraft even. He can get into building tree houses and underground forts and not come up for air all day long. He has never expressed an interest in this game but I think he might like it even if all he does is jump into arkfalls all day long. Again, Thanks for the input!
#5knives outPosted 10/30/2013 2:15:17 PM
all the games you listed are FPS. defiance is a 3rd person shooter. if that makes a difference..
---
Remember.... violence is NEVER the answer. Sometimes, though, it's the question... and the answer is "Yes".
#6Waren_Posted 11/12/2013 2:51:40 PM
Its a good game it gets old after a while but its great untill you reach that point. I would also like to point out that its an M (mature) rated game but if hes playing Halo that may not be a factor.
#7browncmpPosted 11/26/2013 3:19:54 AM
Nobody pointed this out....This game died back in May. Don't buy him a game where he will spend hours running around all alone. I have played this since launch, and its not what it used to be. If he has to play something get Battlefield or something similar on black Friday for $30. Don't waste the money on this like I did.
#8midnyghtsson265Posted 11/26/2013 5:49:20 AM
This game had such potential and I stuck it out for awhile, but they dribbled out dlc way too slow and a lot of people left the game. Sad to say but gta online did some things better than this game as far as some of the social aspects. How many people wanted player housing on this game? I sure did but they never added it.
---
"You can't change what is. So we keep it light, till it's time to get dark. Than we get pitch black."
#9markestoniaPosted 11/26/2013 10:53:25 AM
browncmp posted...
Nobody pointed this out....This game died back in May. Don't buy him a game where he will spend hours running around all alone. I have played this since launch, and its not what it used to be. If he has to play something get Battlefield or something similar on black Friday for $30. Don't waste the money on this like I did.

No one pointed it out because, those of us that actually play the game, know it to be false.
#10MarikhenPosted 12/3/2013 5:27:17 PM
If Trion's still running the deal where you download and play the demo and get 25% off buying the game it's not a bad price for what you get. If you can find a sale like Steam's recent, and now expired, $5 for it it's an even better purchase.

All things considered this game is more FPS than RPG putting it clearly to the "left" (in that matchup) of the Borderlands games. Likewise it's been a fun way to kill 20-40+ hours for me since I purchased it a few months ago.

If I have any real issue with the game it's that EGO rating on weapons matters about as much as affix names do on gear in Sacred 2. That's to say damn little if anything. One example of this is the Downpour Pulser I got as a quest reward in the first hour or two of gameplay. It's a green weapon with an EGO rating of around 100, and yet it's been one of my mainstay weapons ever since, clearly surpassing weapons with 4-5x "better" EGO ratings.

I'm sure that part of my view is that I don't really understand what the point of EGO on weapons is, other than having more upgrade slots come pre-unlocked, but it's kind of annoying when an item's "level" doesn't mean jack in practical terms. Given how cheaply and quickly you can open up upgrade slots on your weapons having them pre-unlocked really does mean jack IMLTHO.

Oh, yes, and thanks to people abusing game mechanics if you die too often too quickly or under the wrong circumstances the game auto-respawns you and penalizes you the cash cost for if you'd chosen to do so. Really annoying to go exploring only to have a giant robot shoot you, kill you, and then auto-respawn and fine you. It gets even more annoying when as part of an arkfall the auto-respawn/fine thing happens yet again on your very first death during the event.

/shrugs. Any rate, the game can be pretty fast and fun, and the relative lack of "level scaling" makes for a refreshing change of pace both among gear/zone progression and character development. Download the PC demo if you have a PC that can handle it, play it, see how much you still like it, and get your nephew to give it a shot too. http://www.defiance.com/en/my-ego/profile/pc-free-trial/?CAS_REDIR=true
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.