Doing the moves...

#1FKRW4LifePosted 12/7/2011 6:02:39 AM
I'm a little confused about how basic moves work. Since the CAW doesn't let you select what moves you want to do (my usual way of learning controls) I wanted to see how I'm doing.

I'm hoping you guys can correct me where I'm wrong or add to it so that I can get a better understanding of things.

So Y is basic strike, tapping it let's you do a combo. Stick moving while striking as well as holding the button in will not do something different.

B is weak grapple. From here you can then hit Y, B, A, or X to do a different move. Holding a direction when hitting a button doesn't change anything. You can also hit the D pad to go behind grapple. What buttons can you use from behind grapple?

X is strong strike. If you tap it you will do one move. If you hold it in and move away you seem to glow and do a different one. I don't think there are any other methods with that button (or are there)...

A is strong grapple. From there you can irish whip with R as well as hit A, B, X, or Y to do a move. Holding a direction does nothing to change it? I also didn't try go behind here. Can you and if so is it any different from the B method?

While running you can hit A, B, X, or Y to do a different attack. Holding a button in or a direction doesn't seem to make a difference. You can also run up the corner with R.

On the ground you can hit A, B, X, or Y to do a different attack. Holding a button in or a direction doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems you can do a running down attack as well with X and Y. Star is pin. There is no drag or lift in a dazed position.

Going in and out of the ring is with star. Somehow you can also tap it near the ring while holding away to get a weapon, though in my 3 exhibition matches I wasn't able to get it to work.

Trademark moves are with Y + B or X + A while opponent stands, some wrestlers seem to have bonus ones in different situations like Andre's corner butt bash.

Finisher is L + R when it is pulsating. Tap your face to taunt.

Corner dives seem to be just X and Y.

You can leap out of the ring standing near the ropes and hitting I thin X. Couldn't get a running one to work, maybe not in game...

Please, if I'm wrong anywhere in here feel free to correct me and if there's more I'm missing throw in anything relevant. I played for about an hour last night and am trying to get a grasp on things but am struggling a little. Basically I'm wondering if there is more to do or if I've figured most out
#2TerotrousPosted 12/7/2011 6:32:20 AM
So Y is basic strike, tapping it let's you do a combo. Stick moving while striking as well as holding the button in will not do something different.

You can also put the other buttons in your combo at various points. For example, if you're using Stone Cold, pressing YYB will cause him to punch twice, then kick the guy in the balls. If you use another button, the string usually won't "combo", but the grabs are unblockable so they'd have to react fast and punch you out of the grab attempt.

X is strong strike. If you tap it you will do one move. If you hold it in and move away you seem to glow and do a different one. I don't think there are any other methods with that button (or are there)...

Some characters can do a hard strike combo. Also, towards + hard strike is sometimes a different attack.

B is weak grapple. From here you can then hit Y, B, A, or X to do a different move. Holding a direction when hitting a button doesn't change anything. You can also hit the D pad to go behind grapple. What buttons can you use from behind grapple?

Direction does nothing, yes. Each button is a different grapple.

Pressing left or right on D-Pad is change tie-up, so you'll switch around and grab the guy from behind, where you again have four different move options. However, be aware that changing the tie-up can be reversaled, so it's rarely worth it. You can also get the behind tie up if you weak grapple a guy from behind.

Grappler characters have "grapple chains", where you can link grapples together. Generally, perform a weak grapple, then do a move, and press another button as they hit the mat. The chains are different for everyone so you'll have to experiment.

For example, Mr Perfect can do a weak Grapple, Y, then B as they hit the mat, then B again while they're in the air.

A is strong grapple. From there you can irish whip with R as well as hit A, B, X, or Y to do a move. Holding a direction does nothing to change it? I also didn't try go behind here. Can you and if so is it any different from the B method?

You can change tie-up here too. Strong grapple has 3 possible tie-ups, which depend on how far away you were when you initiated it.

Grappler characters and Big Men can also perform a charge grapple by holding Away and A, just like charge strikes. For most Grapplers this is a boston crab, which does okay damage. Big Men will toss the guy into the turnbuckle.

It seems you can do a running down attack as well with X and Y. Star is pin. There is no drag or lift in a dazed position.

You can indeed lift, but not everyone can do it. It's hard grapple while near a stunned opponent. This will lift them into a front weak grapple state.

Turnbuckle X or Y attacks can hit downed opponents too.

Somehow you can also tap it near the ring while holding away to get a weapon, though in my 3 exhibition matches I wasn't able to get it to work.

Weapon pick is away + Star. The thing is, you can't hold Away, you just have to tap it and immediately hit star while near the middle of the ring on the outside. It has to be FAST, or you'll walk too far away. Think of like a smash bros smash attack.

You can leap out of the ring standing near the ropes and hitting I thin X. Couldn't get a running one to work, maybe not in game...

It works but not everyone can do it.

You can also leap off the ropes by pressing a button while running towards the ropes, assuming your character is capable of it. Mostly Acrobats are, but Dashing Cody Rhodes can do it too, and he's a Brawler.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES TailSpin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3TerotrousPosted 12/7/2011 6:33:49 AM
Anyway, there's like an insane amount of depth to this game. I was considering making a guide, but the amount of stuff to test out with each of the game's 45 characters is preposterous. Everyone has like 30 different moves, even though there are some repeats.

Everyone has 4 moves from each of the 5 tie-ups, a bunch of strike chains, some signatures, different running moves, different charge moves, etc. It's crazy.
---
#4FKRW4Life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2011 7:07:45 AM
Gnik posted...
Anyway, there's like an insane amount of depth to this game. I was considering making a guide, but the amount of stuff to test out with each of the game's 45 characters is preposterous. Everyone has like 30 different moves, even though there are some repeats.

Everyone has 4 moves from each of the 5 tie-ups, a bunch of strike chains, some signatures, different running moves, different charge moves, etc. It's crazy.

Yeah I'm impressed though the difference from what I'm used to will take some time.

I'm a bit fire pro/no mercy guy so I've always been used to the tap/hold strikes and grapples and the button or direction + button to do moves.

When you say 5 tie ups, can you explain? I was just thinking there was A and B, two tie ups?
#5TerotrousPosted 12/7/2011 8:01:02 AM
There's two B tie-ups (front and back) and three A tie-ups (strong, collar and elbow, headlock).

Here's what determines which one you get:

B from front = front tie-up
B from behind = back tie-up

A from close - strong tie-up
A from far - headlock
A from behind - collar and elbow tie-up

You can change between tie-ups of a given strength with left and right on the DPad, but the tie-up change can be reversed.

Each of these tie-ups has 4 moves, one with each button.

There are also running light and strong grabs, and also "against running" grabs that you can do when the opponent runs at you.

Anyway, here's some other random info:

Stun:

Every move that knocks down does a certain amount of "stun damage", which causes the opponent to become stunned after they receive enough. Once stunned, the opponent will glow grey and red, and are vulnerable to a ground attack, pin, or finisher. How long they remain stunned is based on how much health they have and how much stun damage you did. If you stun them with a move that does a ton of stun (such as Kane's Tombstone), they may be stunned long enough for you to perform two grounded actions.

Pins:

You can attempt a pin with star on a downed opponent. While pinning someone, mash buttons and spin the stick to make it harder to get out. The general difficulty of escaping the pin depends on how many pins you have previously attempted, generally the 1st is easy to escape, 2nd is hard, 3rd is possible but requires extreme mash, and the 4th is lights out. Note that the count goes by your pins so if I attempt 3 pins on one person, then 1 on another, the recipient of the 4th pin is screwed even if he hasn't had a pin attempt on him yet. Certain wrestlers also have special pins from grapples that are harder to escape than normal.

Finishers:

You can do a finisher in two ways: First, you can tap L + R to enter finisher state, your wrestler will briefly pose, then they'll glow yellow until you press L + R again to attempt the finisher. The other method is to hold L + R when near a stunned opponent. This will cause the opponent to be appropriately re-positioned for your finisher to hit (they'll even get up or turn around depending on the move), and then it will connect automatically. Also, if you do your finisher this way, you're invincible during the pose (though not the grab), this is useful in matches with more than 2 people.

Landing a finisher on an opponent with no health causes a KO.

Weapons:

After obtaining a weapon, press Y or X to swing it. The Y is a quick swing that does little damage, and the opponent can block as it's about to connect to steal the weapon. The X is an overhead swing that is slower and cannot be blocked. Every time you successfully hit with a weapon, you get a warning, and if you get enough you instantly lose the match. Two overhead strikes is always safe, I wouldn't go for much more than that. Press Star to drop the weapon.

Steel Cage:

After dropping the opponent's health by 50%, press star to climb the cage. If you do nothing and reach the top of the cage, you'll play a minigame where you must time a cursor inside a lit-up range. The size of the range is based on how little health the opponent has. Line it up successfully 5 times (over the course of the match) and you win. The opponent can also climb up after you and throw you off the cage through a mashing minigame. This is the opposite of pins, every time you successfully grab someone it becomes easier for them to kick you off the next time. You can also press a button while on the top of the cage to jump off the cage, similar to a turnbuckle attack.
---