You know what, I'm glad they are doing major changes for this game.

#1McmadnessV3Posted 2/25/2012 9:11:24 AM
The series was getting very stale after Mario Party 3.

If this was no different from any other game that came before it I probably wouldn't be interested.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#2MrSpacelySlatePosted 2/25/2012 11:23:53 AM
It was stale since Mario party 2.
#3chaos12391Posted 2/25/2012 1:07:19 PM
Well you've seen what pokemon has done in never changing it's formula. They kept it the same cause it sold. Now that hudson wasn't doing this game it was bound to be different and I'm sure that's the only reason why it's different.
---
3DS FC: 1977-0529-1062
#4BringerOfPiePosted 2/25/2012 1:38:08 PM
^ Granted, Pokemon is probably a more enjoyable formula than Mario Party to begin with in that you can easily sink hundreds of hours into each installment just by yourself, whereas Mario Party is best in small doses and only with other players.

Not that you're wrong about the sales factor, of course. Even with MP8 critically panned, it was the fastest selling title yet.

I agree with the OP regardless. We don't know if it's GOOD change yet, but change in some form was definitely overdue.
#5Mariofan15Posted 2/25/2012 4:00:18 PM
No,it wasnt. Dont fix what isnt broke. But I suppose the only way to know if the change is good or bad is to play the game for one's self.
---
National Pokedex Completed:10/23/2011
Pokemon White FC:1979-2643-0071
#6FanimaXIVPosted 2/25/2012 4:44:59 PM
The MP series has a very defined fanbase, it's fans know what the series is consisting of, and each new title to the series, the fans, more or less know what to expect. Drastic changes like this were unnecessary, and have pretty much come with heavy disapproval from past fans.

Now don't say "this game is marketed towards a bigger crowd than just fans" because while it may be trying to do that, its failed in that aspect as well. For the past 10 MP games, the rules were identical, and so even the average player who wasn't a big MP fan or even one at all had played one in the past decade and knew what the games were based around. They're probably going in with the same mindset this time and seeing the difference upon playing will probably be just as confused as the long-time fans.

You're practically saying the equivalent of Street Fighter needing a change because it's been the same 2D 1 vs 1 fighter for the past 25 years.

As I've said before, I'll still play it since my last real MP was 6, but I'll still be disappointed with the exclusion of classic mode as at least an option.
---
Seriously, I'd like to play a new Wave Race, Outrun, Live-A-Live or Super Spike V'Ball before I quit gaming. Remake or Sequel.
#7McmadnessV3(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2012 6:29:54 PM
"Don't fix what isn't broken"
While that line of reasoning does work for lots of things, this isn't one of those cases.

See, there is a difference between keeping a formula, and never changing anything.

This series has barely changed at all, and any change that it has made in its 8 some games, its only gotten progressively worse with every new installment that has come out.

The last installment especially was a boring stale game that had no redeeming value what so ever and truly marks the low point the series had gotten to.

And if people are upset over the changes? All I have to say is this.

You want the same crap you've played over and over again? The go play the old games, you'll get that same gameplay you always wanted and you'll save money.

Thats a lot smarter then just demanding every game be the same and then keep wasting money buying it.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#8GruntlingPosted 2/26/2012 1:13:29 AM
I'm glad they're finally making some major changes to the series. After 8+ games of pretty much the same thing, it was time for something genuinely new and different.

Still, I think it would have been nice if the developers had given us the option to play in a "classic mode". Unfortunately, the new boards are set up in a way that wouldn't allow it though.
---
GRUNTLING
Since April 26th, 2003
#9BringerOfPiePosted 2/26/2012 11:18:21 AM
Mariofan15 posted...
No,it wasnt. Dont fix what isnt broke. But I suppose the only way to know if the change is good or bad is to play the game for one's self.

Mario Party IS broken. The Gamecube games were a struggle to play, with dry ideas, increasingly luck-based board mechanics, and the item system totally went to hell. Then Mario Party 8 came along and turned it from unenjoyable to outright unplayable. Dry ideas, however, were the worst offender here. Minor things were altered but the formula became tedious as hell over time.
#10LeftyGreenMarioPosted 2/26/2012 8:23:07 PM
I thought the orb system was terrific in Mario Party 6.

Maybe some people just got a whiff from their nostalgia glasses because I thought the orbs were better than the just-introduced item system from Mario Party 2.