This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I see Dillon being part of the 3DS roster, but not the Wii U roster.

#41Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 9:57:52 AM
Geno posted...
Chomper4 posted...
Still, I am concerned that no new playables is what Sakurai is striving for.

There's not a chance in hell that Sakurai won't add any newcomers. We'll be looking at a minimum of five or six newcomers, guaranteed. And then we can always expect those last minute rush job characters tacked on at the end, too, like Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf. :P

Well, I still see the roster at a minumum of 50.
#42usaamahlinkPosted 2/24/2013 10:10:07 AM
Chomper4 posted...
Geno posted...
Chomper4 posted...
I am just worrying if he means there will be no newcomers.

There will be newcomers, don't concern yourself over it too much. Sakurai might not like huge rosters, but even he's not dumb enough to not realize that a fighting game, barring games like Street Fighter or Tekken which are practically all about the veterans, one of the huge draws is newcomers.

I suspect we'll probably be looking at around fifty characters total, anyway. I mean, think about it. Twelve of the characters have been in the game since its inception, if they're not balanced and solidified by this point I'm not sure what to tell 'em. Most of the people we got from Melee were balanced pretty well, and Brawl only has two characters that were glaringly overpowered, and I'm certain that'll be handled in Smash 4.

The only real general failure to balance a character lies mostly in Link, who's been crappy since Smash 64, the poor guy.

Geno stated pretty much exactly what I meant up above.. He WILL put in newcomers no doubt about it. I mean we had some major first party games lately (Xenoblade for one) That pretty much necessitate newcomers. However adding new characters is not the focus. They will have to prioritize balance and mechanics over simply adding newcomers, and if they add too much burden Im sure some characters will be dropped.. but theyve had the basic engine done for a long time. Even if the graphical assets are really demanding, Im sure the rest of the time they have used is to achieve proper balancing, and also to add the new characters and balance them as well.. I think last time around thye focus a lot on building SSB.. which will not get as much attention this time around (everyone knows multiplayer Smash is the real meat and potatoes.. and sauce).. We will get at least some new additions... but Im banking on there being exactly 50 characters (I think transformations will be kept seperate mostly this time around.. like Samus/ZSS, although the classic is Zelda/Sheikh)
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, F-Zero GX.
#43Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 10:16:39 AM
usaamahlink posted...
Chomper4 posted...
Geno posted...
Chomper4 posted...
I am just worrying if he means there will be no newcomers.

There will be newcomers, don't concern yourself over it too much. Sakurai might not like huge rosters, but even he's not dumb enough to not realize that a fighting game, barring games like Street Fighter or Tekken which are practically all about the veterans, one of the huge draws is newcomers.

I suspect we'll probably be looking at around fifty characters total, anyway. I mean, think about it. Twelve of the characters have been in the game since its inception, if they're not balanced and solidified by this point I'm not sure what to tell 'em. Most of the people we got from Melee were balanced pretty well, and Brawl only has two characters that were glaringly overpowered, and I'm certain that'll be handled in Smash 4.

The only real general failure to balance a character lies mostly in Link, who's been crappy since Smash 64, the poor guy.

Geno stated pretty much exactly what I meant up above.. He WILL put in newcomers no doubt about it. I mean we had some major first party games lately (Xenoblade for one) That pretty much necessitate newcomers. However adding new characters is not the focus. They will have to prioritize balance and mechanics over simply adding newcomers, and if they add too much burden Im sure some characters will be dropped.. but theyve had the basic engine done for a long time. Even if the graphical assets are really demanding, Im sure the rest of the time they have used is to achieve proper balancing, and also to add the new characters and balance them as well.. I think last time around thye focus a lot on building SSB.. which will not get as much attention this time around (everyone knows multiplayer Smash is the real meat and potatoes.. and sauce).. We will get at least some new additions... but Im banking on there being exactly 50 characters (I think transformations will be kept seperate mostly this time around.. like Samus/ZSS, although the classic is Zelda/Sheikh)

I see transformations and switching fighters between two or more characters during a fight are both one character. So, I see legitally at least 15 newcomers.
#44LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/24/2013 10:20:05 AM
Transformations count as separate characters. They take roughly the same amount of time and resources to create as any other character, considering how they have unique movesets and different models from the characters they're attached to.

Also, the newcomer tag wouldn't have popped up for ZSS if she didn't count as a separate character from Samus:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm87/MatthewWhite150/zero7ql.png
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#45Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 10:22:02 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
Transformations count as separate characters. They take roughly the same amount of time and resources to create as any other character, considering how they have unique movesets and different models from the characters they're attached to.

Also, the newcomer tag wouldn't have popped up for ZSS if she didn't count as a separate character from Samus:

I meant in like the roster menu.
#46usaamahlinkPosted 2/24/2013 10:22:32 AM
Chomper4 posted...
I see transformations and switching fighters between two or more characters during a fight are both one character. So, I see legitally at least 15 newcomers.

The only issue with this is that Sakurai (I believe) counts them separately.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, F-Zero GX.
#47LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/24/2013 10:23:15 AM
Chomper4 posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...

Doesn't matter. Sakurai has recently said that the roster consists of 39 characters. There are 35 slots in Brawl.

Obviously, the method of selecting a character and whether or not they're attached to a different character is completely irrelevant. Brawl's roster has 39 characters, not 35.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#48Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 1:42:02 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
Chomper4 posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...

Doesn't matter. Sakurai has recently said that the roster consists of 39 characters. There are 35 slots in Brawl.

Obviously, the method of selecting a character and whether or not they're attached to a different character is completely irrelevant. Brawl's roster has 39 characters, not 35.

So, I guess like 54 characters including transformations total is my minimun guess for playables, 59 for maximum.