Who else feels like the "must originate from a game" thing is outdated?

#1SpunkySixPosted 6/16/2013 2:56:53 PM
Hear me out here.

The rule made sense at the start because games hadn't been around as long and licensed games weren't as well known.

Now though, we have stuff like the Arkham series that totally blows most non-licensed games out of the water. 2 Game of the Year games in a row, rave reviews up and down, massive popularity. And who belongs to that series? Batman.

Seriously, why can't Batman be in? He's done more for the progression of quality gaming than most video game originals have, he got an exclusive remake on the Wii U as well as some earlier Nintendo games, he has a ton of gadgets that could easily translate to a moveset, he's extremely iconic and he could represent the good side of licensed games, which are arguably as important for the industry as many regular games.

And then there's Wreck-It Ralph, the star of a popular video game movie that pays homage to many Nintendo games and even mentions Mario by name, with a game that plays similarly to the classic DK arcade machine. Popular with the general audience and reviewers alike, fairly well known, easily translatable and heavily engrossed in video game culture, should Ralph not even be considered just because he's from a movie? Wouldn't having a video game movie character from a movie that was actually well recieved make sense now that there are so many movies based on games?

Is not originating in a video game directly still a good enough reason to soley keep a potential third party out? I'm starting to question that.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#2EJWPosted 6/16/2013 2:58:07 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Is not originating in a video game directly still a good enough reason to soley keep a potential third party out? I'm starting to question that.

Yes.
---
Random user: Google is your friend.
Me: Google led me here now answer the damn question!!!
#3SearchBomberPosted 6/16/2013 2:58:52 PM
There's no valid reason why Master Asia should be excluded from this game's roster.
#4Someguy_13Posted 6/16/2013 3:00:06 PM
Nope. It's a good rule and should stay in effect.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#5Doru_DinnPosted 6/16/2013 3:00:10 PM
I think it is outdated or pointless. However, I don't think there has been one non-game originated character (or stage) that justifies being put in.
---
You've got to admit that there's a certain inherent epicness in the Hero running around looking like Hobo Link.
- Guruda on Dragon Quest VII
#6SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 3:01:53 PM(edited)
EJW posted...
SpunkySix posted...

Yes.

What a compelling argument.

I'm not saying we should expect characters from anime and whatnot all willy-nilly, but if a character is heavily involved in video games and well liked, then why should their origin keep them out?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#7DunDoneDunPosted 6/16/2013 3:00:52 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Hear me out here.

I not listenin I not listenin!!!! nanananana!
---
Hey. Huh huh. Wanna hear a joke? Huh....butts.
HUH HUH HUH HUH!!!!
#8Paper_OkamiPosted 6/16/2013 3:03:53 PM
SpunkySix posted...
EJW posted...
SpunkySix posted...

Yes.

What a compelling argument.

I'm not saying we should expect characters from anime and whatnot all willy-nilly, but if a character is heavily involved in video games and well liked, then why should their origin keep them out?

Because that is not what the serious is about. There are fighting games for many of those other characters. This game is about an all-star NINTENDO cast, with a few guest characters.
#9Noctus3Posted 6/16/2013 3:04:57 PM
Goku confirmed.
---
**** you SE for trolling us with that TWEWY port. I hate you.
#10SoulstigerPosted 6/16/2013 3:05:20 PM
Doru_Dinn posted...
I think it is outdated or pointless. However, I don't think there has been one non-game originated character (or stage) that justifies being put in.

Non-Specific Action Figure would like to have a word with you.