Smash isn't a fighter game, so can we have a 100 character roster now?

#11MetalKirbyPlushPosted 6/17/2013 4:00:11 PM
Even with the most inept regard for balance, I don't even think 100 characters would be doable in Smash. The sheer amount of effort without somehow having the most absurd amount of clones would take several years and would result in extremely hollow fanservice.

Smash may be a fanservice crossover, but it's a good fanservice crossover.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#12GrandpriestPosted 6/17/2013 4:01:55 PM
Kratos_Aurion75 posted...
Something tells me even most more casual gamers would notice the significant downsides to a roster that size after trying out a game with that and all it entails.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 1,2,3.
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2,3.
A couple examples. lol
---
Welcome to the GameFAQs forums. Please take a seat, and enjoy your stay. Your trolls will be with you, shortly.
#13MileRunPosted 6/17/2013 4:04:22 PM
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ranks among the most popular fighting games of all time, and it was about as balanced as Humpty Dumpty walking a tightrope while watching the Porygon episode.
---
I claim to be the official Porygon2 of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
Scientist MileRun: WaRy associate
#14Lexmark1989Posted 6/17/2013 4:10:19 PM
Mario Kart isn't a fighter and it doesn't even have close to that many. MK however could stand a bit of balance with those items.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies
#15MetalKirbyPlushPosted 6/17/2013 4:13:20 PM
MileRun posted...
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ranks among the most popular fighting games of all time, and it was about as balanced as Humpty Dumpty walking a tightrope while watching the Porygon episode.

MvC2 competitive play blows my mind. I'm always equally impressed and confused when I watch it.

What can be said from this is that the core ultimately fuels the game's capacity to be enjoyable regardless of balance. However, and while this is a given, balance promotes variety. Then again, MvC2 was played for god damn ever.
---
#16ciraMegaSPosted 6/17/2013 4:29:52 PM(edited)
ExcIusivity69 posted...
Balance isn't exclusive to fighters. Every multiplayer game needs balance to avoid overpowered (and weak) characters/cars/guns/stats/etc.

Unless something is really overpowered, casual fan never cared about balance. The only people who care about balance is competitive people.

If a game like League of Legends can have 100+ characters and still have people playing all the characters, then I'm sure a casual fighting game like SSB can get away with aving that many characters.
---
Black
#17Lexmark1989Posted 6/17/2013 4:44:05 PM
ciraMegaS posted...
ExcIusivity69 posted...
Balance isn't exclusive to fighters. Every multiplayer game needs balance to avoid overpowered (and weak) characters/cars/guns/stats/etc.

Unless something is really overpowered, casual fan never cared about balance. The only people who care about balance is competitive people.

If a game like League of Legends can have 100+ characters and still have people playing all the characters, then I'm sure a casual fighting game like SSB can get away with aving that many characters.

The problem is Smash has way more animations than LOL and its being the game smash is its harder to balance than LOL. These are 2 completely different games when it comes to balance. Also you can't lump all casual players together. Some may not care about balance, but they most def care about metaknight and other characters that can be broken in fighters.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies
#18MetalKirbyPlushPosted 6/17/2013 4:46:04 PM
Would also like to add that every character in LoL has 4 moves and they use a list of archetypes for defining what roles they're supposed to fill as well as how their moves behave. Smash, or any fighting game for that matter, has archetypes but it's simply a lot more complex.
---