This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Interview!

#1StreetPasWantrPosted 6/19/2013 5:23:27 PM
http://gamespot.com/features/smashing-the-definition-of-smash-bros-6410475/
---
The world ends with you? That's a lie. It ends with D, not U. Still love the game, though.
#2ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 6/19/2013 5:26:26 PM
In regards to potential customization...

Masahiro Sakurai said...
Perhaps the best way to think of it is: it's not the strength of the attacks that change--their power--but the directionality of those attacks will change with customization.

---
Kaljinyu
#3GenoPosted 6/19/2013 5:27:37 PM
It's pretty interesting. Of note that's worth taking away from the interview:

(On customization)

"Perhaps the best way to think of it is: it's not the strength of the attacks that change--their power--but the directionality of those attacks will change with customization."

I dunno why he'd be afraid to adjust power, just the adjustments need to be balanced statistically, s'all.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#4AlexAdzPosted 6/19/2013 5:28:15 PM
I just skimmed over it and Sakurai CONFIRMED smash is a fighting game.
#5ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 6/19/2013 5:28:17 PM
In regards to random occurrences like tripping...

Maxwell McGee said...
Tripping, a seemingly random mechanic that causes fighters to slip and fall during battle, introduced an element of randomness into each fight. But while tripping is out, randomness is something Sakurai feels is still an important part of the Smash Bros. series.

---
Kaljinyu
#6TheBPB11Posted 6/19/2013 5:29:09 PM
So pretty much nothing interesting/ new, right?
---
Xbox Live & PSN: TheBPB11
#7ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 6/19/2013 5:30:48 PM
Continuing on tripping and randomness...

Masahiro Sakurai said...
"When you boil things down to pure competition, it's not always the most engaging experience. For example, think about the 50-meter dash. This is something that really comes down to speed. You see a lot of people progressing in a linear direction, and the person who is fastest in the beginning is quite often going to be the winner. It's predictable--and while it is pure competition, it's not necessarily engaging in the same way as events with unpredictability. As developers, we have to think about all of these circumstances when designing fighting games."

Basically, pure parity, pure competition, is boring, says Sakurai. Randomness is more engaging, more fun.
---
Kaljinyu
#8ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 6/19/2013 5:31:28 PM
Or rather, it's at least not the same kind of fun as pure competition, and they need to consider how pure competition might be boring to some people.
---
Kaljinyu
#9TheMasterTurtlePosted 6/19/2013 5:32:09 PM
Ah, I love the way Sakurai thinks. I agree with all of his points.

I hope the 'customization' works well. It is the thing I'm most afraid of with this title.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#10GigaraverPosted 6/19/2013 5:32:30 PM
BTW....

Surprise, Surprise... Smash is a Fighting Game again.
---
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]