My SSB4 Roster

#1SaikyoBroPosted 7/5/2013 9:27:12 PM
Hereís my shot at a realistic SSB4 roster. 45 characters with the only removal being Lucario. I know it doesn't look great but I don't really care enough to put an entire night's worth of effort into a fake Smash roster.

http://i.imgur.com/rQUYWM5.png

Notes:

-I didnít add any characters to Mario because thereís no need to, 4 characters is enough in a 45 character roster.
-I didnít add any characters to Donkey Kong because, well, whatís the point? Dixie Kong is essentially a girl version of Diddy Kong with her only unique factor being her ability to use her hair as an attack. I love K. Rool but unless heís in Tropical Freeze I donít know what the point is in adding him.
-I kept Toon Link because I honestly donít think theyíll remove him. Doing so would leave Zelda at 3 characters, which I donít think is going to happen since its had 4 since Melee. They could replace him, but other popular options are mostly one-time villains like Ghirahim or Skull Kid or more boring alternate versions of Link like Classic Link. I donít see the point of doing that when Toon Link is more recurring and more interesting than most of those characters. WW Link and Spirit Tracks Link are two separate characters and him being on a stage is irrelevant.
-I added Ridley because heís a popular and important character and nobody actually cares if they resize him.
-I added Palutena because sheís popular and Kid Icarus is big enough to justify 2 reps.
-I added Chrom because heís relevant but kept Marth and Ike because theyíre both important and unique from each other and itís totally possible to make the 3 of them play differently.
-I added Little Mac because Jesus man, heís just so good looking.
-I replaced Lucario with Mewtwo because Mewtwo is more relevant now that he has a movie coming out and a new form, which I imagine would be worked into his moveset as a transformation move.
-I kept Snake because heís a popular and iconic character and removing him would be stupid. I changed him from Solid Snake to Naked Snake because MGS3 got ported to 3DS recently, but theyíd probably play pretty similarly anyway.
-I added Pac-Man because Namco is working on the game and heís funny and everyone knows he's going to be in at this point anyway.
-I added Takamaru because heís a cool retro character and Sakurai likes him, why not.
-I added the Mii because theyíre obviously going to. Miis are in eeeeverything these days, dude.

If anyone has any questions Iíll explain, but first please look at the latest IGN interview. Sakurai confirms they havenít even settled on which characters theyíll be cutting yet, so thereís no reason to think theyíre removing tons and tons of characters. Personally I donít see more than 3 or 4 going at the most since everyone in Brawl is unique and important in some way, I donít think any of them are necessary besides Lucario. Going up 10 roster slots is what happened from Melee to Brawl so I donít think itís unreasonable to assume that 45 is a good number for this game. Also, cutting characters on the basis that theyíre multiple characters in one just because Sakurai mentioned it being difficult to implement on 3DS is just straight-up stupid.

Let me know what you think.
#2ThatKippPosted 7/5/2013 9:32:08 PM
I like the roster, but not the art that you used for some of the newcomers. It's minor, I just think it looks kind of weird.
---
Medicham/Victreebel
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#3CanyouGuessPosted 7/5/2013 9:33:47 PM
Meh. 5/10.
---
Megaman, King K. Rool, Samurai Goroh, Little Mac, Captain Syrup & Simon Belmont for Smash Bros. 4!
#4SaikyoBro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 9:33:51 PM
ThatKipp posted...
I like the roster, but not the art that you used for some of the newcomers. It's minor, I just think it looks kind of weird.

Yeah I got them all for some site (that's been around forever lol) that does a lot of pictures for potential Smash characters. Some of them (like Palutena) I think look great but others like Takamaru I know aren't that great. I just used a lot of them since they were all in one place and I didn't have to search for a bunch of them.
#5DasDavidPosted 7/5/2013 9:46:48 PM
It's a very safe roster, and I suppose all things considered one I would be okay with. But I don't love it.

Let's call that a... 75/100 as far as how much I like it. I won't rate on how realistic it is or whatever because... anyone that claims they can come up with a number for that is full of it.
---
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster
http://imgur.com/EwB7gKS
#6SaikyoBro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 9:51:25 PM
DasDavid posted...
It's a very safe roster, and I suppose all things considered one I would be okay with. But I don't love it.

Let's call that a... 75/100 as far as how much I like it. I won't rate on how realistic it is or whatever because... anyone that claims they can come up with a number for that is full of it.

To me at least, nothing's really wrong with "safe" choices. I understand it's no fun when everyone is putting the same characters on their roster, but I think it's necessary in a way. To me, if we are all thinking about the same general pool of character choices, then we all understand which characters are truly deserving/likely to be in the game. Any surprise characters like R.O.B. or Wii Fit Trainer are welcome, but truthfully they're up to Sakurai moreso than fan demand.
#7Arcanine2009Posted 7/5/2013 9:53:49 PM
You take out Lucario instead of Toon Link?

*face desk*
---
Nintendo Network ID: sselemanrm
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
#8SaikyoBro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 9:56:26 PM
Arcanine2009 posted...
You take out Lucario instead of Toon Link?

*face desk*

Why would they keep Lucario? Gen 4 is ancient history by now.
#9sterlingtygerPosted 7/5/2013 9:58:49 PM
You're missing Isaac and anything interesting. Other than that... it's alright. While it lacks some cuts I find likely(Tink, Jiggs, Wolf, Ike) and plays it unrealistically safe as far as newcomer choices(this isn't Brawl :P), I'd be satisfied if this was the final roster.
#10SaikyoBro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:03:55 PM(edited)
sterlingtyger posted...
You're missing Isaac and anything interesting. Other than that... it's alright. While it lacks some cuts I find likely(Tink, Jiggs, Wolf, Ike) and plays it unrealistically safe as far as newcomer choices(this isn't Brawl :P), I'd be satisfied if this was the final roster.

I like Isaac but I just don't think Golden Sun is really going anywhere big atm. I would like to see him and don't think it's particularly unlikely, I just think between Captain Falcon, Olimar, Little Mac, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer I'd be getting a little bit excessive if I added many more characters from misc. series.

To be honest previous versions of my roster have had 50 characters and included characters like Shulk, Dillon, K. Rool, Sukapon, and even the Duck Hunt Dog as a surprise character but I trimmed it down a bit and made some replacements for the sake of diversity and characters that I think are more likely. I just decided 45 is the most realistic number and tried to make the best adjustments I could.