Anyone else think people are misinterpreting Sakurai's explanation for no SSE?

#1uberking422Posted 7/25/2013 1:15:37 PM
I feel that Kotaku has, as usual, spin-doctored his justification to sound worse than it is. When the same statement was given almost a month ago in an IGN, he stated that he felt that the ability to watch between level cutscenes without actually playing the game kind of took the reward out of the game's single player experience, so he felt that it would be better to find some other form of single player mode that would be more likely to reward someone for actually playing the game. I believe this mentality was well reflected in his work on Kid Icarus: Uprising, a game which, while having a cinematic feel to it, rarely robbed the player of control for any extended period of time, thus "rewarding" a player in a way that a mere watcher can't fully experience. As such, I find there is good cause to trust Sakurai's judgment. I would encourage the rest of you to read his non-Kotaku'd statement on the second page of this article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds
#2ThatPersonGuyPosted 7/25/2013 1:16:59 PM
Yes.
---
"You don't have an inferiority complex, you're just inferior."
-Sarcastic Announcer in Wave Race
#3Hon_CaterpiePosted 7/25/2013 1:18:46 PM
Oh yeah...Kid Icarus: Uprising felt a lot like playing a movie, huh. :O

I can see Sakurai going for the same thing in Smash.
---
Honorable Caterpie, Deku Knight! | Queen Gohma's #1 Fan
Don't talk about the mayoral belly rubs... you'll cause a scandal! - silverdraconum
#4dengel3587Posted 7/25/2013 1:21:47 PM
As long as the cutscenes are gone for the most part.
#5ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 7/25/2013 1:23:03 PM
There's gonna be a 3DS adventure mode anyway, so there shouldn't be that much confusion. We're not getting SSE, but we're getting a kind of adventure mode.
---
Kaljinyu
#6KEN181Posted 7/25/2013 1:25:51 PM
I don't like Kotaku very much, Gamnesia is a good choice, it collects articles from various sources (including Kotaku) and writes about them pretty neutrally
---
Wilf > METROD > Phoenis PAUNCH!!!
Poke D/P Name: Rose FC: 4596 6778 0536
#7chareyPosted 7/25/2013 1:28:28 PM
Hopefully that doesn't mean the bosses will die before the boss is done talking.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#8uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 1:29:34 PM
KEN181 posted...
I don't like Kotaku very much, Gamnesia is a good choice, it collects articles from various sources (including Kotaku) and writes about them pretty neutrally

Their articles tend to be pretty flame-bait laden, especially when it comes to Nintendo.
#9uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 1:43:18 PM
charey posted...
Hopefully that doesn't mean the bosses will die before the boss is done talking.

It probably depends on how many coins you wager at the beginning of the level.
#10uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 2:08:23 PM
Bump.