Anyone else think people are misinterpreting Sakurai's explanation for no SSE?

#11PhlipDarkRiotPosted 7/25/2013 2:16:46 PM
I would love it if there was banter from NPC's like in Kid Icarus Uprising while going through a small adventure mode that was character specific. Like codec messages, of which would apply to the current situation. They could do a lot with that without taking up so much space, and the voice acting they currently do is relatively quick, I read before that Snake's VA took like 45 minutes to work on his codec.
---
Beyond these lines lies Darkness. And that remains true until computers are transparent. Which is just so unnecessary.
#12Hon_CaterpiePosted 7/25/2013 2:18:30 PM
PhlipDarkRiot posted...
I would love it if there was banter from NPC's like in Kid Icarus Uprising while going through a small adventure mode that was character specific. Like codec messages, of which would apply to the current situation. They could do a lot with that without taking up so much space, and the voice acting they currently do is relatively quick, I read before that Snake's VA took like 45 minutes to work on his codec.
I hope they do this too, because that means we get to pester Paul Eiding again about potential cut Codec conversations for characters that were scrapped during development.

'cause Paul Eiding is everyone's bro. :D
---
Honorable Caterpie, Deku Knight! | Queen Gohma's #1 Fan
Don't talk about the mayoral belly rubs... you'll cause a scandal! - silverdraconum
#13DrOrpheus42Posted 7/25/2013 2:37:50 PM
Oh my god, I this never even occurred to me, but I would love to see a form of storytelling in the same sense as Uprising! I thought that was a brilliant way to get me invested in the plot and the characters without subtracting from the gameplay at all, and it was one of the areas where I thought the game really excelled.

Although...

charey posted...
Hopefully that doesn't mean the bosses will die before the boss is done talking.

That definitely was a flaw in that system, I'd hope they'd design it a bit differently!
#14uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 5:09:00 PM
Bump, because apparently some people would rather dance like monkeys to Kotaku's organ grinder than give Sakurai anything remotely resembling the benefit of the doubt.
#15DTY3Posted 7/26/2013 7:11:57 AM
Bump
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#16SpunkySixPosted 7/26/2013 7:30:48 AM
Huh. That's insightful but flawed. Uprising is a cinematic work of art, yes, but nothing is tainted for me when I get to the end of say, most games ever and realize that other people could have Youtubed the ending.

Say, in something like MK's character endings. They're generally creative and worth getting, YouTube cheaters or not.

I trust Sakurai, but feel a less extreme stance would be appropriate. Even complete masterpieces like the Arkham and Prime games had SOME cutscenes.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#17PokejedservoPosted 7/29/2013 11:53:32 AM
Yeah the Adventure Mode will most likely be more dialogue-driven than cut scene-driven after all keep in mind these two things...

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/3/1

Sakurai did admit that nowadays one can't really ignore the concept of narrative in video games anymore. Not too mention on how keep in mind that over the years Sakurai has tried to make the Smash Bros games as packed with content as possible and it would be rather unusual for them to try to make the Single Player portion of the game as bare-bones as possible.
---
Behind The Voice- http://behindthevoiceactors.com/
My VA Resume Site: http://pokejedservovoiceactingresume.wetpaint.com/
#18MM125Posted 7/29/2013 12:13:45 PM
Interesting idea, and I'd be all for it, except without actual cutscenes, some silent protagonists are gonna have to start talking.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket
#19KingofAwesome69Posted 7/29/2013 12:53:12 PM
I hope 'no cutscenes' only applies to the drawn-out, filler SSE ones, not the short five second Adventure Mode ones of Luigi footstooling Mario into the water pre-battle or Giga Bowser's trophy coming to life.