Are you a competitive player or a casual player?

#1originalhipsterPosted 7/25/2013 5:30:07 PM(edited)
Topic. - Results (336 votes)
I'm a casual player.
61.9% (208 votes)
I'm a competitive player.
38.1% (128 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Definitions:

Casual Player :
You are most interested in the unlockables, the story (if there is one), the characters (from a nostalgia perspective) the character interactions, the extra party modes and playing with items on in Free for Alls on all wacky stages. These are the things most important to you.

Competitive players:
You are most interested in the core gameplay, the characters (from a gameplay perspective), truly learning the fundamentals ins and outs of the game, believe you could at least somewhat hold your own against the average tournament level player and play in either 1 vs 1 or 2 vs2 with no items and a conservative stage-list.

The key word here is most. If you feel you are a mixture of both pick the option you care about more.
---
I was a hipster way before it was cool.
#2Joebot800Posted 7/25/2013 5:26:11 PM
I don't compete in competitions but it seems I'm a mix of both.
#3originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 5:28:31 PM(edited)
Joebot800 posted...

If you feel you are a mix of both, please list yourself as a competitive player.

Because a competitive player can easily haves some things pertaining to casual players listed above apply to him but vice versa is usually not true.

Oh and you don't have to go out and compete in tournaments to be a competitive player.
---
#4smashman92Posted 7/25/2013 5:27:28 PM
Joebot800 posted...

Yeah, I think we need more options here
---
Charizard for SSBU
#5ecylisPosted 7/25/2013 5:30:10 PM
originalhipster posted...
Joebot800 posted...

If you feel you are a mix of both, please list yourself as a competitive player.

Because a competitive player can easily haves some things pertaining to casual players listed above apply to him but vice versa is usually not true.

Oh and you don't have to go out and compete in tournaments to be a competitive player.

Well OK then
#6ProfessorFayPosted 7/25/2013 5:30:41 PM
Considering the way in which you described the nature of both types, both.

I suppose I'm more of a "competitive" player, though. I certainly find it more fun to study this game's mechanics and I've played in several tournaments just because I like that specific style of play better.

However that isn't to say that I dislike playing with items on or playing on gimmicky stages and all that other random stuff.
---
I said so ravenously.
Farewell Faywell. Junko Enoshima.
#7originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 5:32:15 PM
ProfessorFay posted...
Considering the way in which you described the nature of both types, both.

I suppose I'm more of a "competitive" player, though. I certainly find it more fun to study this game's mechanics and I've played in several tournaments just because I like that specific style of play better.

However that isn't to say that I dislike playing with items on or playing on gimmicky stages and all that other random stuff.

That's why I said "most interested in" not "only interested in".

Post has been edited for further clarification.
---
#8capturinggod200Posted 7/25/2013 5:32:28 PM
Joebot800 posted...

so you are the third type veteran player.

not a casual or a competitive player. I consider myself a veteran player I play games more than casuals but I don't go to tournaments or label characters as tiers like competitive players.
#9KingTumbleweedPosted 7/25/2013 5:34:40 PM
When I first get the game, I guess I fit the description of a typical casual player. Around a year after that, after new games are released and I spend less time playing SSB, I'll get more into the competitive gameplay. Sooo...competitive?
---
You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my clone! - SSB for Wii U.
Official Ferrothorn of Pokemon X/Y boards.
#10ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 7/25/2013 5:35:29 PM
originalhipster posted...
Joebot800 posted...

What if you can hold your own in competitive play, and have studied it, but would rather be doing casual stuff?
---
Kaljinyu