Metroid deserves three reps.

#71JunDagekiPosted 8/23/2013 11:23:24 AM
dedekong posted...
Your logic is flawed, and i'll tell you why: You can't measure how much each individual loved or hated a game. Thus, you can't measure a game's popularity based on how much each person who bought the game loved it or not. However, you can tell how popular a game is based on how many people went out a purchased it. What even is popularity if not a visual and accountable majority?

Your Mario Galaxy scenario doesn't make sense, considering multiplayer games can also be shared with people. If a single player game is selling less because it's single player then that is probably the fault of the developer for not adapting to the growing popularity (and practically standard component) of online multiplayer games. But even then nothing you have said so far has any concrete numbers behind it aside from hypotheticals, which shouldn't be used if you're trying to make a measurement.

You are confusing success with popularity, even tho one thing leads to the other, doesn't mean they are the same thing.
My hypothesis isn't flawed because it's a very common case scenario which explains why you can't compare and measure popularity between franchises with sales because one game can sell more for different reasons which popularity alone has no take in this.

EVEN if popularity were equal between pokemon and Metroid, Pokemon would still sell more.
If you don't understand this logic, i will give you a common and realistic case scenario.

With Pokemon:
Mario: Hey i got this pokemon game, it's so cool!
Luigi: Awesome! can you lend it to me!?
Mario: And delete my data of all the pokemon i captured? are you INSANE?! I tell you what, there's a new version coming up next month called yellow version, i get that one, you get red.
Luigi: Alright!
Results: 3 copies sold.

With Metroid:
Mario: Hey i got this Metroid game, it's so cool!
Mario: Sure bro, just give me a few days till i finish and i give it to you.
Luigi: Yepee, oh yeah! Luigi number 1!
Result: 1 copy sold.
---
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
#72Soanevalcke6Posted 8/23/2013 12:35:44 PM
Chokusetsu posted...
sterlingtyger posted...
Dark Zero Suit Samus, Dark Fusion Suit Samus and Dark Swimsuit Samus right?

Fixed.

You're a Slime fetishist aren't you?
---
"Hey, relax! We're the good guys! Justice will prevail and all that stuff... right, Samus?"
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6
#73energyman2289Posted 8/23/2013 12:40:49 PM
Kraid was already in the background of a stage in Melee
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/energyman2289
#74dedekongPosted 8/23/2013 12:42:35 PM
JunDageki posted...
You are confusing success with popularity, even tho one thing leads to the other, doesn't mean they are the same thing.
My hypothesis isn't flawed because it's a very common case scenario which explains why you can't compare and measure popularity between franchises with sales because one game can sell more for different reasons which popularity alone has no take in this.

EVEN if popularity were equal between pokemon and Metroid, Pokemon would still sell more.
If you don't understand this logic, i will give you a common and realistic case scenario.

With Pokemon:
Mario: Hey i got this pokemon game, it's so cool!
Mario: And delete my data of all the pokemon i captured? are you INSANE?! I tell you what, there's a new version coming up next month called yellow version, i get that one, you get red.
Luigi: Alright!
Results: 3 copies sold.

With Metroid:
Mario: Hey i got this Metroid game, it's so cool!
Mario: Sure bro, just give me a few days till i finish and i give it to you.
Luigi: Yepee, oh yeah! Luigi number 1!
Result: 1 copy sold.

Pokemon is successful because of how popular it is. Metroid isn't successful because it isn't popular. I really don't know why you are making these concepts so difficult for yourself. And there are more people who will buy both versions of a Pokemon game than there are that will buy one version of a Metroid game. That's the difference between popular and not popular.

And your scenario is once again flawed since you're using Pokemon as an example, when you should be using games in the exact same situation as Metroid as an example. Take Zelda, Kirby, or Donkey Kong. They all offer single player experiences with the same save functions as a metroid game, yet each of these series is vastly more popular than Metroid and we can tell based off of the fact that they sell more games.

And please realize that if people would rather wait and borrow a game than to go out and get it themselves, that is kind of a testament to just how unpopular something is.
#75JunDagekiPosted 8/23/2013 1:33:50 PM
dedekong posted...
Pokemon is successful because of how popular it is. Metroid isn't successful because it isn't popular. I really don't know why you are making these concepts so difficult for yourself. And there are more people who will buy both versions of a Pokemon game than there are that will buy one version of a Metroid game. That's the difference between popular and not popular.

And your scenario is once again flawed since you're using Pokemon as an example, when you should be using games in the exact same situation as Metroid as an example. Take Zelda, Kirby, or Donkey Kong. They all offer single player experiences with the same save functions as a metroid game, yet each of these series is vastly more popular than Metroid and we can tell based off of the fact that they sell more games.

And please realize that if people would rather wait and borrow a game than to go out and get it themselves, that is kind of a testament to just how unpopular something is.

You without thinking, gave the reason to me, you guys were the ones that started using games like Pokemon and Mario Kart Wii sales to measure Metroid's popularity without thinking why, and now that you read my comment you find that it's absurd to compare the sales to measure popularity, which is exactly what i'm getting at.

Metroid is not more popular than Zelda, Kirby, and DK? duh, but who the **** is arguing this? nobody is saying Metroid is number 1. the question here is how popular Metroid is, every gamer knows what Metroid is, even if you haven't played the franchise, the franchise still sells, the franchise is still active, the franchise still continues, and is one and still is an iconic franchises in Nintendo. denying this because it doesn't sell as much as Zelda or Pokemon is just laughable.
---
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
#76ChokusetsuPosted 8/23/2013 1:38:00 PM
Jun is just one example of those frustrated gamers that can't accept their niche tastes don't match what is truly successful.
---
De arimasu
#77dedekongPosted 8/23/2013 1:49:16 PM
JunDageki posted...
dedekong posted...

You without thinking, gave the reason to me, you guys were the ones that started using games like Pokemon and Mario Kart Wii sales to measure Metroid's popularity without thinking why, and now that you read my comment you find that it's absurd to compare the sales to measure popularity, which is exactly what i'm getting at.

Metroid is not more popular than Zelda, Kirby, and DK? duh, but who the **** is arguing this? nobody is saying Metroid is number 1. the question here is how popular Metroid is, every gamer knows what Metroid is, even if you haven't played the franchise, the franchise still sells, the franchise is still active, the franchise still continues, and is one and still is an iconic franchises in Nintendo. denying this because it doesn't sell as much as Zelda or Pokemon is just laughable.

Being aware of something doesn't make it popular.
And no one is arguing that Metroid isn't one of Nintendo's iconic franchises. That doesn't mean it's popular.