The more I look at the established roster, the more I think....

#1darkx_at_schoolPosted 9/4/2013 7:37:29 AM
That, even if the gameplay is going to be directed to the hardcore audience, the roster may be being targetted towards the casual audience. Think about it.

Luigi was revealed early. In all the casual games he tends to be revealed right away, and in more hardcore games (namely: other Smash Bros. games) he is hidden.

Pit and Olimar, who were more for the hardcore fans in Brawl, have been revealed early, and at this point in time they seem to be more directed at the casual audience.

Now look at the confirmed newcomers. Mega Man kinda caters to both hardcore and casual audiences (though maybe moreso the former), but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are about as casual as you can get.

Additionally, if one were to take into account the additional leak, Little Mac is in the same Mega Man situation, but he probably leans even more to the casuals. Pac-Man and Mii though are super targetted towards the casual audience.

Suddenly, a Mario newcomer seems a hell of a lot more likely than I initially pegged it to be. Probably Toad, but maybe Bowser Jr. or even Waluigi.
---
darkx is logged into a school computer on this account so that if someone does something stupid my usermap doesn't get axed.
#2RagirothPosted 9/4/2013 8:23:38 AM
And this is exactly why I'm worried about the roster.

I'm not saying everything has to be all hardcore (though I'd prefer it), but I really hope they don't go all casual characters. I also am afraid Ridley falls towards the hardcore side.
---
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Final_Chase_Zone/index.php?
PSN-Ragiroth
#3darkx_at_school(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 8:28:07 AM
Ragiroth posted...
And this is exactly why I'm worried about the roster.

I'm not saying everything has to be all hardcore (though I'd prefer it), but I really hope they don't go all casual characters. I also am afraid Ridley falls towards the hardcore side.

I have the same fear about Isaac.
---
darkx is logged into a school computer on this account so that if someone does something stupid my usermap doesn't get axed.
#4GenoPosted 9/4/2013 8:35:35 AM
I'd imagine a huge part of the reason we haven't gotten any newcomer reveals yet is because they realized how popular the newcomer vignettes were and ordered up one for each of them to be revealed at important times/dates.

Which would explain why we haven't heard a peep from them about newcomers since E3.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#5ViewtifulGinaPosted 9/4/2013 9:21:53 AM
I wouldn't get ahead of myself here. Just because a lot of the characters shown so far are casual-friendly, it doesn't follow that most of the rest will be. The plan could have been to get the main casual reveals done early to optimize the initial hype for this game. The casual market commands a lot of people, but they don't necessarily follow any gaming news outside of a high-profile E3 trailer. And the "hardcore" market follows the smaller updates more regularly anyway. In that case, it would not be unusual to pull in casuals at the big event and leave some food out for the "hardcore" crowd to find later.
#6BlulightningPosted 9/4/2013 9:45:37 AM
darkx_at_school posted...
That, even if the gameplay is going to be directed to the hardcore audience, the roster may be being targetted towards the casual audience. Think about it.

Or better yet... How about you actually think about it for a moment? Because the creation of this topic implies you didn't.

Luigi was revealed early. In all the casual games he tends to be revealed right away, and in more hardcore games (namely: other Smash Bros. games) he is hidden.

Pit and Olimar, who were more for the hardcore fans in Brawl, have been revealed early, and at this point in time they seem to be more directed at the casual audience.

Now look at the confirmed newcomers. Mega Man kinda caters to both hardcore and casual audiences (though maybe moreso the former), but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are about as casual as you can get.

1. So you compare Luigi's reveal with previous Smash Bros games (the ONLY games you can be referring to), as if they were all 3 "hardcore" games... and meanwhile refer to EVERYTHING ELSE Nintendo creates as "casual".
HMMM......
Yeah, sorry, but that's just not thinking that through. Nintendo is a "casual" game developer. They make more "casual" type games than other developers. That's simply a fact - And this includes all Smash Bros games. If you can't see that the Smash Bros series is obviously much more "casual" than other fighting games made by other developers than you really have no idea what you're talking about to begin with.

2. You just state Pit and Olimar are now "more directed at the casual audience" for absolutely no reason at all... You just state it as if it were a fact. This is seriously not even a legitimate statement.

3. Wow, 2 out of 3 newcomers you personally consider to be "casual" and one that completely contradicts your entire point.... Yep, that's a reel argument rite thar.
But in reality - No. No it's not... That is a pretty weak point. You have nothing to go on. And it's pretty subjective to call Animal Crossing a "casual" game, since the definition of "hardcore" and "casual" are pretty much subjective and undefined to begin with.

Additionally, if one were to take into account the additional leak, Little Mac is in the same Mega Man situation, but he probably leans even more to the casuals. Pac-Man and Mii though are super targetted towards the casual audience.

Suddenly, a Mario newcomer seems a hell of a lot more likely than I initially pegged it to be. Probably Toad, but maybe Bowser Jr. or even Waluigi.

4. No one seriously counts that stupid "leak" for anything. It's non-credible so far. And even so I can't see how Pac-Man would be considered "super targetted[sic] towards the casual audience".

5. What exactly is pointing to another Mario Newcomer? The "casual" side of the roster as you believe it to be? Come on dude... This entire topic is just you stating "Nintendo games are designed for casual gamers". Which was pretty much obvious to everyone already.

Seriously, you have absolutely nothing to go on... You're just using your own opinion to come to false conclusions.
I don't know if it's subconsciously desired or if this is really what you want to see, but either way the only thing this topic is doing is being yet another "I think this will happen because I want to see this happen" topic in the massive pile of other topics exactly like it.
---
U r Brane Splode'd!
#7GoombacrusherPosted 9/4/2013 9:48:08 AM
This is stupid
---
Every time I post on GameFAQs, an angel gets its wings.
#8darkx_at_school(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 9:48:36 AM
Way to dissect my topic and come to the wrong conclusion, because I absolutely DON'T want to see a casual roster.
---
#9RagirothPosted 9/4/2013 9:52:18 AM
I mean I guess if you think about it, a lot of newcomers in Melee and Brawl were probably casual:

Melee:
Bowser-Casual
Peach-Casual
Zelda/Shiek-Casual (Shiek is purely because she's from the main go to Zelda game, especially at that time)
Ice Climbers-Hardcore
Game and Watch-Hardcore
Marth-50/50 (Hardcore for America, casual for Japan)
Roy-Probably same as Marth. A bit less casual because his game wasn't out yet
Mewtwo-Casual
Pichu-Casual
Dr. Mario-I really dunno here.
Falco-At the time, I'd say casual
Ganondorf-Probably casual
Young Link-Casual.

Brawl:
Sonic-Casual
Meta Knight-Dunno
DeDeDe-Dunno
Pit-Hardcore
Zero Suit Samus-Probably leaning a bit to hardcore
Wario-Casual
Snake-Dunno
Ike-Hardcore. For America, but less than Marth and Roy were
Pokemon Trainer-Casual
Olimar-Casual I think
Lucario-Probably half and half. Pokemon is casual, but mainly from the first generation.
ROB-Hardcore
Toon Link-Casual
Wolf-Since Star Fox was less big around that time, and Wolf isn't a character that was as huge in SF64, hardcore a bit.
Lucas-Hardcore

I think the casual characters are just more gimmicky this time. It's also because the big iconic popular characters are all pretty much out of the way now.
---
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Final_Chase_Zone/index.php?
PSN-Ragiroth
#10BlulightningPosted 9/4/2013 9:57:35 AM
Way to dissect my topic and come to the wrong conclusion, because I absolutely DON'T want to see a casual roster.

Subconsciously you probably do.
Either way you are the one jumping to a bunch of false conclusions... I'm merely pointing out the logical errors.
---
U r Brane Splode'd!