This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The more I look at the established roster, the more I think....

#11NintendoFan2000Posted 9/4/2013 9:40:40 AM
I honestly thought this was a joke topic. Are you like, 15 or under? Genuine question.

Casual or hardcore are ridiculous labels. Anyone should be able to play whatever bloody games they want.
---
I'd put a quip here, but I'm not hilarious enough.
#12Amazing AmpharosPosted 9/4/2013 10:00:59 AM
I wasn't aware there were casual or hardcore characters. Every tournament I've been to let me play as any character I wanted, and I actually did see people picking most of them.

Seriously though, this is both of the biggest faults of this board summarized into one topic. Here are two points for you to chew on:

1. The casual-hardcore dichotomy is a false dichotomy. We're all players here.

2. The roster doesn't really matter. Whichever choices are made, they'll be good characters to play, and all the big Nintendo names were already in Brawl anyway.

Once you realize that there's no reason to have an internal community civil war and that further which characters are in the roster isn't a big deal, 90% of this board becomes kinda irrelevant.
#13YuiAgrias99Posted 9/4/2013 10:07:23 AM
ITT: Someone complaining that the roster isn't aimed squarely at him. Rather, it's aimed at people who should be completely ignored for some reason.
---
"Heaven's wish to destroy all minds . . . Holy Explosion!"
#14NicoRobin007Posted 9/4/2013 10:22:27 AM
I definitely see the merits of your post, but I don't think everything is as cut and dry as you're making it. For starters, Luigi could still be an unlockable character they decided to show early, and I'm not really understanding why him being unlockable or not caters to casual or hardcore players. I think it's just something people have in their heads since he's always been unlockable in the past.

I know you said that Megaman and Little Mac lean towards hardcore, but they really are two tallies in the hardcore column no matter how you look at it. Not to mention, probably the two most wanted.

Pacman and Villager are sort of the ambiguous ones I think. Villager can't really be classified as a casual addition in every sense. Although his game falls in a casual genre, his games have a lot of devoted fans from the pre-Wii era even, and is not exactly a mainstream game compared to games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, etc. He was actually a heavily requested character. As for Pacman, I think this is another toss up. Although he may have been a casual name a few decades ago, at this point, the modern generation couldn't care less about him as evidenced by this board. I think it's a cool, retro throwback to the NES era and the most deserving rep from the partner company working on Smash.

There's really no way around Mii and Wii Fit Trainer, though. Those are pretty low blows to the hardcore fan base. The way I look at it is. We have three confirmed newcomers and three rumored newcomers. Two are for the hardcore crowd. Two are for the casual crowd. And two fall somewhere in between. I don't think the balance between the two groups could reach a better middle ground at this point, and I think that's exactly what Sakurai is going for. He said game play would be somewhere between Melee and Brawl, which is pretty much a metaphor for hardcore and casual. I'd expect the roster to reflect this balance as well. I'd probably prefer a more "hardcore" roster as well, but I think the balance struck is a pretty good one as well. It could definitely be a lot worse.
#15YuiAgrias99Posted 9/4/2013 10:32:49 AM
I have difficulty seeing little Mac or Pac-Man as "hardcore" in any way. Then again, that word doesn't really have a meaning, since it's a buzzword.
---
"Heaven's wish to destroy all minds . . . Holy Explosion!"
#16xgiraffes13xPosted 9/4/2013 2:51:30 PM
lol. You mean hardcore as in unexpected, and you mean casual as expected or we all knew was going to be in.

We just started getting information in June, at least we got two character reveals that were "casual". Just be happy we're even getting additional reveals this early.
---
My Dream Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U Roster.
http://i.imgur.com/yy36VAO.png
#17NinjaNomad196Posted 9/4/2013 3:06:21 PM
darkx_at_school posted...
Ragiroth posted...
And this is exactly why I'm worried about the roster.

I'm not saying everything has to be all hardcore (though I'd prefer it), but I really hope they don't go all casual characters. I also am afraid Ridley falls towards the hardcore side.

I have the same fear about Isaac.

And Solid Snake.
---
Official Mega Man of SSBS:Team 3DS!
#18NinjaNomad196Posted 9/4/2013 3:07:35 PM
darkx_at_school posted...
That, even if the gameplay is going to be directed to the hardcore audience, the roster may be being targetted towards the casual audience. Think about it.

Luigi was revealed early. In all the casual games he tends to be revealed right away, and in more hardcore games (namely: other Smash Bros. games) he is hidden.

Pit and Olimar, who were more for the hardcore fans in Brawl, have been revealed early, and at this point in time they seem to be more directed at the casual audience.

Now look at the confirmed newcomers. Mega Man kinda caters to both hardcore and casual audiences (though maybe moreso the former), but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are about as casual as you can get.

Additionally, if one were to take into account the additional leak, Little Mac is in the same Mega Man situation, but he probably leans even more to the casuals. Pac-Man and Mii though are super targetted towards the casual audience.

Suddenly, a Mario newcomer seems a heck of a lot more likely than I initially pegged it to be. Probably Toad, but maybe Bowser Jr. or even Waluigi.

BTW good eye, noticing this, TC!
---
Official Mega Man of SSBS:Team 3DS!
#19MrMoustachePosted 9/7/2013 10:02:48 AM
TC is stupid
#20MuTeKiKenPosted 9/7/2013 10:25:20 AM(edited)
Meh, if who the character is bothered me so much I would've just stuck to Link or something. In any case, there's not going to be a roster overhaul with half the characters from Brawl cut, and from what I've seen so far (final judgement can only be passed after playing) both Villager and WFT have great movesets that represent their capabilities from their series as a plus.

I welcome all newcomers even if they come from stuff I don't care for, provided their movesets are promising. And I can't really argue against changes to veterans because I only saw positives from 64->Melee and Melee->Brawl.

EDIT: Maybe not ALL changes to veterans but for the most part at least.
---
Currently playing - A game for hardcore fans only