Why I think Peach's reveal hints at playable Toad

#1mutehero7Posted 9/12/2013 4:20:27 PM
My initial thought: Why did they reveal another Mario character? They just revealed Luigi. They should've picked another franchise to represent this month. And then it hit me... and it all made sense.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad... the cast of Super Mario 3D World (and, of course, Super Mario Bros. 2 US).

Who are the three characters that have been revealed since E3? Olimar, Luigi, and Peach...

But wait, mutehero7! Olimar =/= Mario, right? Maybe. Mario had to be revealed during the E3 trailer; his exclusion just wouldn't be right. They couldn't reveal him again, so they did something incredibly clever: they used Olimar instead. If you're still lost: Olimar's name is an anagram for Mario in Japanese.

But wait, mutehero7! Didn't you see the screenshot where Peach is using her traditional neutral B move, holding Toad in front of her? Doesn't that squash any chances of a playable Toad? If you saw Sakurai's message on Miiverse attached to today's update, then you saw Sakurai's mischievous side. Yes, there's a screenshot of Toad in Peach's arms, but Sakurai was quick to point out that these screenshots don't necessarily portray the final game... in fact, I think that screenshot paired with today's message is a deliberate jab at Toad, and that we'll be seeing him very soon with his very own slot in the roster.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Post your thoughts/rebuttals.
---
T or F: This statement is false.
#2GeneralPenguPosted 9/12/2013 4:21:32 PM
Woah.
---
Pit in Survivor. Pac Man in Big Brother. Koopa the Quick in Whodunnit
#3EricHinesPosted 9/12/2013 4:25:28 PM
It is a bit interesting that he went out of his way to make that comment about her moves. Has he done that for any of the other character reveals?
#4i-am-a-giraffePosted 9/12/2013 4:25:38 PM
Interesting theory.

A part of me wants to be believe the moveset changes he was hinting at relate to Toad somehow. I mean, why didn't he make that comment about any of the other revealed characters so far?
---
Toadsworth in Super Smash Bros. Survivor, Evil Toadsworth in Big Brother and Tortimer in Brodunnit
#5Chzrm3Posted 9/12/2013 4:26:51 PM
If he announces toad on October 12th, I'm going to poop myself. (In a good way!)
---
If Smash 4 gets more DK reps, I'll achieve Nirvana and never want anything again.
Dixie, K. Rool, Funky, Lanky........... Mmmmmmm yeeaaaaaa!!!!
#6TopHattedTroopaPosted 9/12/2013 4:27:20 PM
Could make sense; honestly, I don't see why he's suddenly 'deconfirmed'; there are multiple Toads, after all.
---
Professor Layton, Paper Mario, and Bandana Dee for Smash 4.
Professor Layton in Big Brother and Despair, Luke in SFTGOSBGS, Ninten in Destiny.
#7RedFlyNinjaPosted 9/12/2013 4:28:26 PM
Very interesting theory indeed

But toad is still just a smelly kid who screams all the time
---
KING K ROOL FOR SUPER SMASH BROS 4!
#8guedesbrawlPosted 9/12/2013 4:29:11 PM
EricHines posted...
It is a bit interesting that he went out of his way to make that comment about her moves. Has he done that for any of the other character reveals?

because apparently neither Luigi nor Olimar changed much.

Bowser got a lot of focus on reveal, and so did the 3 newcomers obviously). Some of her moves are clearly changed visually, and apparently she is going to use her Crown to attack too.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#9Rot8er_ConeXPosted 9/12/2013 4:29:41 PM
I never thought of the "Olimar=Mario backwards in Japanese" in that context. But remember that Luigi was revealed by Iwata's choice, not Sakurai's. So that shouldn't factor into any perceived patterns
---
Link in SSBSurvivor (eliminated)
Not changing this sig line until dA and Yahoo Mail fix their mobile sites. Signed 21Jul2013 dA, 27Aug2013 Yahoo
#10Pikachu942Posted 9/12/2013 4:30:03 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
EricHines posted...

because apparently neither Luigi nor Olimar changed much.

Bowser got a lot of focus on reveal, and so did the 3 newcomers obviously). Some of her moves are clearly changed visually, and apparently she is going to use her Crown to attack too.

She used her crown in brawl...
---
The unofficial Simon Belmont of Smash Big Brother...maybe!