This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sakurai has a** backwards logic

#91ScarlettailPosted 9/26/2013 11:58:58 AM
fortitude0 posted...

This.

Don't be surprised if most of the newcomers if not all of them are also advertising upcoming games.

Don't expect too many fan favorites that don't have new games coming out or are out.

I think this is an exaggeration and isn't supported by previous new characters. Sure, some characters are there to advertise, but they add plenty of fan favorites and characters without advertising games.

Just look at Brawl's newcomers.

ROB: definitely not advertising anything.

Meta Knight and King Dedede: The former is a fan favorite, the latter less so but still an important character. Are they advertising Kirby games? Perhaps, but they're obvious characters to add.

Wolf: Star Fox is dead as a series and has been for some time, unfortunately. Wolf isn't advertising anything.

Lucas: Mother 3 is not even available outside Japan and was not a recent game at the time of Brawl. He was a fan favorite for the Japanese crowd.

Toon Link: He might be an advertisement for the range of Zelda games coming out at the time.

Lucario: Advertisement for D/P, yeah.

Pokemon Trainer: I see him as a fan favorite over an advertisement. The original starters are always popular. This was no advertising, but rather a nostalgic factor.

Ike: Perhaps he advertises Radiant Dawn, but he was the obvious Fire Emblem pick.

Diddy Kong: A mix of both ads and fan fave.

Pit: His appearance could not have been advertising with no game in the making at the time, and it actually revived his franchise.

Wario: No doubt he's a fan favorite. He did advertise Wario Ware, but he's still a good choice.

Sonic: Why would Nintendo advertise for games not on its consoles? Sonic was a major fan favorite and cash in rather than an ad.

Snake: Like Sonic, Snake's games aren't even on Nintendo consoles anymore. There's no advertising, just fan service.

So, there's no indication that they can't add fan favorites. Only a small few are advertising new games. Others, like Sonic, Mega Man, are just cashing in on more fans.
#92erosennin4444Posted 9/26/2013 12:03:06 PM
I can't wait for them to announce Chrom (FE:A) for this game!! gonna be epic!!
#93capturinggod200(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 12:03:57 PM
lameass Young Link games are still the most well received Zelda games too so that must mean alot of people must be a fool for liking lameass Young Link over some Toon Link who is hated alot more than any incarnation of Link except CDI Link.
#94GoombacrusherPosted 9/26/2013 12:04:09 PM
Toon Link is a far better character than Young Link anyway
Or regular Link for that matter, assuming he didn't get a massive bump in this game
---
Every time I post on GameFAQs, an angel gets its wings.
#95MozzilPosted 9/26/2013 12:06:50 PM
harvestmoonmike posted...
It's not because they were clones.

Roy was replaced by Ike
Pichu was replaced by Lucario
Young Link was replaced by Toon Link

I'm sure being clones didn't help their case, but I don't think it was the deciding factor for being cut, their relevancy is a much more concrete theory.

...Although I guess you could throw that out the window for this new game, Twilight Princess Link instead of Skyward Sword Link, and Wind Waker Link instead of a Link Between Worlds Link... Seems to me that they're taking the easy route, transferring everyone from Brawl to this game and just updating them slightly.

Pichu was replaced by Pokemon Trainer.

Mewtwo was replaced by Lucario.
---
Pic of the Day......
#96Companion_Cube_Posted 9/26/2013 12:09:29 PM
Pichu was always a joke.

Seriously. Sakurai thought it would be funny to have him n Melee when they were doing the infamous clone search.
---
People who say Nintendo games are for kids need to grow up themselves.
Past/Current Systems: GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSOne, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
#97Chaos-15Posted 9/26/2013 12:13:49 PM
capturinggod200 posted...
lameass Young Link games are still the most well received Zelda games too so that must mean alot of people must be a fool for liking lameass Young Link over some Toon Link who is hated alot more than any incarnation of Link except CDI Link.

I mean "lameass" as a Smash Bros character. He was just a weaker Link. At least Toon Link has something going for him.
Anyways who cares if Young Links's games are more popular. Zelda is already representing those. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game but Wind Wanker was great too. And the only reason Toon Link was hated was because the graphics. Nintendo fans complaining about graphics. HA!
#98capturinggod200(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 12:14:55 PM
from what I see most people use tier system when it comes to characters to judge their worth well I don't give a rat's ass about tiers or who is the best for tournaments or competitive play I kicked ass as Young Link I bet if he was included I could kick anyone's ass who likes to use Toon Link.
#99RikusTwilightPosted 9/26/2013 12:18:46 PM
I'm really hoping we get Chrom this time around. Please please Sakurai.

OT:

While I actually liked Marth and Roy (it was good having some warriors in there other than Link) Young Link and Pichu were rubbish.

At least Toon Link brings something to the table and has a significant differentiation in terms of air capability
#100Chaos-15Posted 9/26/2013 12:25:07 PM
capturinggod200 posted...
from what I see most people use tier system when it comes to characters to judge their worth well I don't give a rat's ass about tiers or who is the best for tournaments or competitive play I kicked ass as Young Link I bet if he was included I could kick anyone's ass who likes to use Toon Link.

Young Link has weak attacks, no killing options, bad recovery.
Compare that to Toon Link who is the exact same thing as Young Link but with strong attacks, really good killing moves, and a great recovery.

If they were in same game there would be no reason to pick Young over Toon asides from handicap. The only way you could win if your opponent sucked at the game.