This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what is wrong with having the full roster at the start of the game?

#1CaptainBangPosted 9/26/2013 4:23:19 PM
People act like it only appeals to lazy people or competitive players, but I think this appeals to more then that. Whenever I bring some obscure fighter to my friends house and they don't have any data, that means that we're playing with a limited roster. This was certainly not a problem in Melee or 64 thanks to the data being in a card/cartridge, but when it comes to Brawl? That's a massive problem because me and my friends can't play with the complete roster ASAP, making us either play with a limited roster or we play "Unlock the character" for an hour... neither of which are as fun as just playing every character.

You can see plenty of companies realizing that secret characters pose a problem, because SF4, Marvel, Blazblue, etc often make all characters unlocked from the beginning in their updated releases.

It's not a competitive thing, it's a multiplayer thing.
---
CoD players should stick to things suitable for their level of intelligence, such as flicking light switches.
#2The_Shadow_LinkPosted 9/26/2013 4:27:10 PM
Nothing wrong with it, at all.

I generally prefer it, as someone who brings my physical copy to a friend, it's always irritating when you have to unlock everyone first.

Sense of achievement and unlockables? Well, you can use other things for that.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#3PT_PiranhaPosted 9/26/2013 4:27:21 PM
There's a certain fun to be had, you're just playing along and suddenly- CHALLENGER APPROACHING.

Holy cow, what? Someone else? And Bob's fighting him? Come on Bob, beat 'im! All right, now we have a new character!
---
Remember, don't take video games too seriously- Plenty of GameFAQs users will do that for you.
-Official Kira of GameFAQs-
#4ZuuFPosted 9/26/2013 4:28:37 PM
I'd rather have the option of toggling between "starting" and "full" rosters, however, only if the option exists for Versus mode, so that you would still have to unlock characters for other modes.
---
I think I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure, disco is not dead, and yes, I make $50,000 a year, at the age of 20 as an accountant. How? Ask me, I dare ye!
#5CaptainBang(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:22:31 PM
PT_Piranha posted...
There's a certain fun to be had, you're just playing along and suddenly- CHALLENGER APPROACHING.

Holy cow, what? Someone else? And Bob's fighting him? Come on Bob, beat 'im! All right, now we have a new character!

Yes, but both playing online and it being impossible to find out the roster make that extremely less stunning then it was back in Melee.
The fight to unlock them, while fun, does not equal having the whole game to play with friends ASAP
---
CoD players should stick to things suitable for their level of intelligence, such as flicking light switches.
#6Black_BoxxPosted 9/26/2013 5:30:55 PM
I'd be all for a Party Mode option available right from the start. Something that unlocks all characters, but disables recording data (profile wins/loses, character use, etc.). If you want that stuff, you have to play the normal mode. Boom. Transferring to a friend's place for a night of serious smashing is no longer dependent on them having played as long as you, but there's still some motivation to use the method of unlocking.
#7Pikachu942Posted 9/26/2013 5:37:25 PM
I don't play with friends, so unlocking is fine for me! This time, I will try to unlock them all without GameFAQs (some kid laughs in the background)! Yeah, I probably can't do it...
---
The unofficial Simon Belmont of Smash Big Brother turned to host of Smash Big Brother, Pikachu942!!!
#8SpunkySixPosted 9/26/2013 5:38:54 PM
I'm hoping for it. I'd like to actually play the game when I get it, for fun. I understand that unlocks are exciting, but save that feel for bonus features, please.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#9ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/26/2013 5:40:21 PM
How can challengers approach if they're already there?
---
Kaljinyu
#10ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/26/2013 5:43:43 PM
Black_Boxx posted...
I'd be all for a Party Mode option available right from the start. Something that unlocks all characters, but disables recording data (profile wins/loses, character use, etc.). If you want that stuff, you have to play the normal mode. Boom. Transferring to a friend's place for a night of serious smashing is no longer dependent on them having played as long as you, but there's still some motivation to use the method of unlocking.

ZuuF posted...
I'd rather have the option of toggling between "starting" and "full" rosters, however, only if the option exists for Versus mode, so that you would still have to unlock characters for other modes.

These are generous ideas, but they take away the point of even having unlockable characters. I like unlockable characters because they're fun to unlock, but that's not the point of them. The point of unlockable characters is that you need to earn them somehow to use them at all.

If you take away the need to earn them, even just for Versus Mode, that takes away the point in unlocking them. It gives you the end goal already.
---
Kaljinyu