Let's play a game. Here are 100 tokens to spend on adding characters to roster.

#11RajakaiTheBeastPosted 9/30/2013 10:23:48 PM
Sonic -20
Ness -5
C.Falcon -5
Yoshi -5
Lucas -20
Lucario -20
Snake -20
Jigglypuff -5
Cool game TC.
---
Not changing this til Sonic's confirmed for SSB4
Official Sonic of SSBS,Brodunnit!,and SSBGS!
#12P00DGEPosted 9/30/2013 10:40:51 PM
I feel like many people will spend their coins on what they want in the game, rather than trying to win the game by picking reasonable choices that will net you your money back, and then some. I think people view this as a make believe genie, rather than a game that you can win by trying to be as accurate in your guesses as possible.
#13ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/30/2013 10:42:56 PM
P00DGE posted...
I feel like many people will spend their coins on what they want in the game, rather than trying to win the game by picking reasonable choices that will net you your money back, and then some. I think people view this as a make believe genie, rather than a game that you can win by trying to be as accurate in your guesses as possible.

So far it looks like everyone gets the point of the game, particularly safe betters like Simmedon and any14coffee.
---
Kaljinyu
#14xbillydabossx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 10:51:36 PM
DrOrpheus42 posted...
xbillydabossx posted...
Newcomer from a series already represented by franchise icon in Smash: 30 tokens.
Newcomer from a series that is not represented by franchise icon in Smash: 40 tokens.

It's a neat idea, but I'm a little confused, why are new characters from already-represented series cheaper to purchase? Surely it would still take the same amount of resources to develop those newcomers, no? Or is it something relating to the nature of this game that I'm probably missing?

ItsKaljinyu already answered it for me: "One is more likely than the other."

And to ItsKaljinyu: As far as Zero Suit Samus goes... I think she would technically still be considered a Brawl Veteran, even though we already have Samus.

SKStylez posted...

Oh Golden Sun IS represented in brawl, we've got music tracks :P. You can't prove otherwise!

I do agree with this, but Golden Sun is not represented by a franchise icon, so he will actually cost 40 tokens. :( Sorry!

KittenLina posted...
SMRPG Geno - 40? Or 30? Not sure... If 30, then Young Link.

I would say 30 tokens, because Geno originated in a Super Mario Bros. video game. So sure, Geno and Young Link.

RajakaiTheBeast posted...
Cool game TC.

Thank you! :)
---
-xbillydabossx
#15ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/30/2013 10:52:39 PM
What I mean is, can I put chips down on Zero Suit Samus, or is that like cheating because she's more or less confirmed already?
---
Kaljinyu
#16xbillydabossx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 11:25:30 PM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
What I mean is, can I put chips down on Zero Suit Samus, or is that like cheating because she's more or less confirmed already?

Oh, my apologies. By all means put down chips on Zero Suit Samus. That's why I included a rule for N64 veterans -- this is an easy way to double your coins so you can predict newcomers who would require many more tokens to "purchase."
---
-xbillydabossx
#17ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/30/2013 11:27:32 PM
Okay. And now I'm not so sure about Wonder Red. I wanted risky bets, but...

Alright, yeah, let's do Wonder Red. ZSS is a pretty sure thing, Little Mac was leaked, allegedly, one of these should be truly risky.

40 Chips on Little Mac
40 Chips on Wonder Red
20 Chips on Zero Suit Samus
---
Kaljinyu
#18SKStylezPosted 9/30/2013 11:30:44 PM
Fine fine... I take off Zelda, even though she's guaranteed. Where's the fun in that!?
#19DrOrpheus42Posted 9/30/2013 11:36:13 PM
xbillydabossx posted...
DrOrpheus42 posted...
xbillydabossx posted...
Newcomer from a series already represented by franchise icon in Smash: 30 tokens.
Newcomer from a series that is not represented by franchise icon in Smash: 40 tokens.

It's a neat idea, but I'm a little confused, why are new characters from already-represented series cheaper to purchase? Surely it would still take the same amount of resources to develop those newcomers, no? Or is it something relating to the nature of this game that I'm probably missing?

ItsKaljinyu already answered it for me: "One is more likely than the other."

Ok... so but, how do you figure? What reasoning led you to that? On top of the fact that it's a quality everyone would define differently, surely the topic of 'likeliness' would depend almost entirely on the particular character being discussed rather than just their point of origin. I guess you might be able to justify it by saying something very descriptive like "I think the majority of commonly-suggested candidates from already-repped series are more likely to be added than the majority of commonly-suggested candidates from unrepped series, and I want everyone to play this game according to my expectations"; but by basing the game on generalized likeliness in this way, you're still effectively saying that, for example, Exeggcute is cheaper than Little Mac because he's more likely. In theory, if you wanted to base cost on likeliness, you could arbitrarily decide on a case-by-case basis how much each suggested newcomer would cost, but rest assured you'd be getting a lot of disagreements over your subjective determination of the most likely candidates. I really think the better solution would just be to throw this 'likeliness' estimate out the window for the sake of the game, and just have all newcomers at the same price.

But whatever, that's fine, it's your game. I'll stay out from now on and just let you run it as you will.
#20Blues255Posted 9/30/2013 11:36:33 PM
Dis gon be gud.

Mewtwo (-10)
King Dedede (-20)
Dixie Kong (-30)
Little Mac (-40)
Current tokens: 0

Pretty excited, but also terrified.
---
Pretty much the only Goomba supporter for SSB4.