Let's play a game. Here are 100 tokens to spend on adding characters to roster.

#21ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 9/30/2013 11:38:16 PM
No franchise as a whole has been cut yet, right?
---
Kaljinyu
#22xbillydabossx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 12:03:12 AM
DrOrpheus42 posted...
Ok... so but, how do you figure? What reasoning led you to that? On top of the fact that it's a quality everyone would define differently, surely the topic of 'likeliness' would depend almost entirely on the particular character being discussed rather than just their point of origin. I guess you might be able to justify it by saying something very descriptive like "I think the majority of commonly-suggested candidates from already-repped series are more likely to be added than the majority of commonly-suggested candidates from unrepped series, and I want everyone to play this game according to my expectations"; but by basing the game on generalized likeliness in this way, you're still effectively saying that, for example, Exeggcute is cheaper than Little Mac because he's more likely. In theory, if you wanted to base cost on likeliness, you could arbitrarily decide on a case-by-case basis how much each suggested newcomer would cost, but rest assured you'd be getting a lot of disagreements over your subjective determination of the most likely candidates. I really think the better solution would just be to throw this 'likeliness' estimate out the window for the sake of the game, and just have all newcomers at the same price.

But whatever, that's fine, it's your game. I'll stay out from now on and just let you run it as you will.

I thought about some of the things you suggested before making this topic, so I really appreciate you taking the time to type out your reasoning. :) Though to be fair, I think 99% of this board can agree that a Pokemon such as Exeggcute would not be a playable newcomer. Yes, my rule-set for this game would make it more likely for a lesser character from a preexisting series to be in the roster than a well-known character from a new series. However, I am not Sakurai, and I cannot predict who he will put in the game. The only "likeliness" estimate is the fact that if a series is already represented in Super Smash Bros., then there is a better chance of that series to gain a new character; every Super Smash Bros. video game that has been released after the last one has proved this.

But again, I really appreciate you taking the time though to type your view points, and they are duly noted for any future games I plan.

ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
No franchise as a whole has been cut yet, right?

I don't believe so, as of the time of this posting. I highly doubt franchises will be axed. If any, I believe it would be Electroplankton and/or Nintendo DS (which had franchise icons in Super Smash Bros. Brawl).
---
-xbillydabossx
#23USERGameBoyBluePosted 10/1/2013 12:14:16 AM(edited)
That being said, the character's prerequisite has to be that he/she/it was in a video game on a Nintendo console at one point.

you shouldn't have this (I know it's too late now), if people guess weird stuff and are wrong, they will run out of tokens. If the guess anime, 3rd party exclusive ect and are right it will be amazing.

Remember the rule you are referencing only applied to brawl and not any of the previous games.

Isn't it possible to imagine there could be a new character rule not applied to brawl?

Edit: tl,dr your coin game already discourages bad guessing, no more rules needed!
#24Kapus209Posted 10/1/2013 12:14:57 AM
I'll just spend 40 on Lip.
---
Groovy!
#25LittlejefferyPosted 10/1/2013 12:17:41 AM
Waluigi = 100 tokens
---
SSBB fc: 4855-0629-0547 Name: WL
Mario Kart Wii fc: 0216-7101-8263 Name: Waluigi
#26xbillydabossx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 12:19:07 AM
USERGameBoyBlue posted...
That being said, the character's prerequisite has to be that he/she/it was in a video game on a Nintendo console at one point.

you shouldn't have this (I know it's too late now), if people guess weird stuff and are wrong, they will run out of tokens. If the guess anime, 3rd party exclusive ect and are right it will be amazing.

Remember the rule you are referencing only applied to brawl and not any of the previous games.

Isn't it possible to imagine there could be a new character rule not applied to brawl?

It's kind of an unspoken rule that it would have to be a video game character. I did not include any clause about anime characters since it's a fighting/party video game based on characters from other video games. That being said, if a person wanted to predict an anime character... well, I guess that person could, though I'm certain we will not see any anime characters in Super Smash Bros. (regardless if the anime character was in a video game, like Jump Ultimate Stars). it's up to the discretion of the person predicting the character(s). That's why there's only 100 tokens in the first place; you have to make an educated decision.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on a potential new character rule not applied to Super Smash Bros. Brawl? I don't think I quite understand what you mean by that, but I am curious! (I'm going to bed now, but I will check back tomorrow evening.)
---
-xbillydabossx
#27ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 10/1/2013 12:27:55 AM
Littlejeffery posted...
Waluigi = 100 tokens

Waluigi's odds don't pay out that high.
---
Kaljinyu
#28LittlejefferyPosted 10/1/2013 1:27:47 AM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
Littlejeffery posted...
Waluigi = 100 tokens

Waluigi's odds don't pay out that high.

Yes they do =D
---
SSBB fc: 4855-0629-0547 Name: WL
Mario Kart Wii fc: 0216-7101-8263 Name: Waluigi
#29RasumiiPosted 10/1/2013 1:43:56 AM
-40 = Little Mac
-30 = King K. Rool
-10 = Mewtwo
-10 = Marth
-5 = Ness
-5 = Captain Falcon
---
Professor Layton, Tingle, and Beedle have most of my support.
#30AnnoyingCornGuyPosted 10/1/2013 1:51:25 AM
Yoshi, Ness: 90
Marth, Zelda: 70
Robin(should probably go with Chrom for safety's sake, but I remain hopeful): 40
Little Mac: 0

I will be tracking this topic. First topic I ever cared enough to track.