Limited Character Roster...Thanks 3DS

#1EtikaielePosted 10/29/2013 6:58:39 AM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/super_smash_bros_will_have_the_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds

Do you guys feel there is anyway this is true?

I didn't think they would have the same number of characters considering Brawl had a lot, and until today, the Wii Trainer didn't have a screen shot on the 3DS version.

Feel like the Wii U version has the ability to have a lot more characters, and if the 3DS version is matching it...we will end up with a great potential character loss. Even Less than Brawl.
#2MarthmarioPosted 10/29/2013 7:01:41 AM
Etikaiele posted...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/super_smash_bros_will_have_the_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds

I didn't think they would have the same number of characters considering Brawl had a lot, and until today, the Wii Trainer didn't have a screen shot on the 3DS version.

Feel like the Wii U version has the ability to have a lot more characters, and if the 3DS version is matching it...we will end up with a great potential character loss. Even Less than Brawl.

1. DLC is possible
2. Wii fit trainer has been in a screenshot on 3ds before
3. It is not limiting the roster.
---
Mains from Brawl confirmed: Toon Link: [X]. Marth [ ]. Bowser [X]. Lucina, Roy, Chrom, Lyn, Pac-man, or Waluigi for Smash 4! :D
#3Rot8er_ConeXPosted 10/29/2013 7:30:08 AM
Rot8er_ConeX posted...
Look guys, another "the 3DS isn't slightly less powerful than the Wii" topic!

Also, WFT has been in a 3DS screenshot. It was the one with the comment that stated that we'd be able to adjust the outline width.
---
My SSB5 stuff: http://Rot8erConeX.deviantART.com/gallery/45743089
On the hunt for an SW forum | Fleshing out Supervillain Saga | Pi snags: 3
#4Etikaiele(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 7:36:46 AM
Marthmario posted...
Etikaiele posted...

1. DLC is possible
2. Wii fit trainer has been in a screenshot on 3ds before
3. It is not limiting the roster.

1. Great, so hopefully don't have to buy each character twice.
2. Missed it. Sorry.
3. Hardware-wise, I very much doubt 3DS can amount to the same as the Wii U in regards to graphics, framerate etc. This is what limits the roster.

Just because of this, I can't see the roster being as large as Brawl. Maybe more akin to Melee at the beginning.

I would've just preferred them to have two separate games with different rosters. I feel like it would make each one more unique than just simply stages.
#5ViewtifulGinaPosted 10/29/2013 7:42:57 AM
Nowhere was it stated that disk space drives roster limitations. The issue is willingness to manage a larger roster. Sakurai said Brawl's roster was at or near the limit of what he considers a feasible number of characters to manage.

http://ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

Sakurai never said he would add characters on the same scale as what was added in Brawl. Don't expect something that was never promised and don't blame the 3DS version for not getting it.
#6Prayer_PolicePosted 10/29/2013 8:01:05 AM
Why does the 3DS have to be the same as the Wii-U version?
If they are different (characters, stages, modes, gameplay) it would definitely be incentive for someone to buy both copies.
Thanks, Obama!
---
i5-2500k, GTX 580 superclocked, PSN: PrayerPolice, XBL & Steam: Prayer Police
#7Etikaiele(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 8:55:16 AM
I would've made the games completely different, to be honest. More incentive to buy both in that way. So far, it looks like we will have unique stages to each versions, but characters will largely remain the same.

The 3DS is about equivalent to the Wii (and has better shaders) from what I've gathered, so it won't be at a huge loss if the Wii U's character count is the same as 3DS'.

Would've liked for them to expand on Brawls 39 playable characters (counting each pokemon as their own) a bit more.
#8Seb_RamorayPosted 10/29/2013 9:04:20 AM
Prayer_Police posted...
Why does the 3DS have to be the same as the Wii-U version?
If they are different (characters, stages, modes, gameplay) it would definitely be incentive for someone to buy both copies.
Thanks, Obama!

inb4Arc166

And I will buy Wii U cause of the game itself and the 3D to play online and train outside home
---
List of 100 snags: 10
Destiny: 3rd place Lucas, 2nd Place Trevor, Champion as Poo, currently Gardevoir
#9Majora787Posted 10/29/2013 9:10:08 AM
... You're completely misinterpreting this as "thanks to the 3DS, the Wii U is forced to have the same number of characters".

All that's being said is, "Smash 4 will have characters, and it will be the same characters between both versions".

When the 3DS has had games like SSF4, Kid Icarus Uprising, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, etc... the 3DS' limitations aren't deciding the number of characters. Time left until launch and decisions by the developer are. You know. As always.
---
I'd take Other M over Super Metroid, Skyward Sword over OoT, FE11 over FE7, and fresh molten crap smeared all over my face over Persona 2. Come at me.
#10SalsaSavantPosted 10/29/2013 9:23:17 AM
I wish people would stop wildly misinterpreting everything Sakurai says to be something negative.

He's outright said the 3DS version will not limit the roster.

The 3DSs power is comparable to that of the Wii.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound just got re-released in the US.