This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who will the retro reps be?

#21Solar_CrimsonPosted 10/30/2013 4:07:24 AM
harvestmoonmike posted...
Nintendo isn't the kind of company to pride itself on Japan.

Oh, if only I could believe that.

As for the topic on hand...

Little Mac would have counted as a retro character, but he got a reboot a few years ago. Kind of like a reverse Pit (who got his reboot/sequel after his Smash debut).

I'm going to go with Takamaru and Lip or Sheriff (can't get any more retro than Nintendo's very first character).
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
3DS FC: 1504-6082-4629 | Friend Safari: Fire - Magmar, Fletchinder, Larvesta
#22Rot8er_ConeXPosted 10/30/2013 4:25:48 AM
You can't predict Sakurai!

That being said, I want Lip. But I think Takamaru's the most likely of the ones I know about. And as for the guy who suggested Sukapon, he's probably not getting in because Sakurai's comment about characters that hail from fighting games.
---
Minish Link in Smash Bros. Destiny 4. In the Final Five (and counting)!
Fleshing out Supervillain Saga | Pi snags: 3
#23HooFbauerPosted 10/30/2013 4:39:32 AM
Geno, anyone?
---
Ghirahim, Palutena, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Geno (unlikely but pleeeease)
#24harvestmoonmikePosted 10/30/2013 6:12:36 AM
HooFbauer posted...
Geno, anyone?

Not retro.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6t4FNRD.png
Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros.
#25SerenasoPosted 10/30/2013 6:22:31 AM
i'm calling it...
The Virtual Boy console
#26Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 10/30/2013 6:28:15 AM
Personally I prefer the Sheriff.
---
...once again, my mind crumbles to Kooky's logic!-MetaFalconPunch
DISCLAIMER: English isn't my main language.
#27harvestmoonmikePosted 10/30/2013 7:26:37 AM
Solar_Crimson posted...
Nintendo isn't the kind of company to pride itself on Japan.

Oh, if only I could believe that.

And you can't believe that... why?

Mario is as universal as Mickey Mouse, the Zelda series pulls more from medieval Europe than ancient Japan, Donkey Kong was made for American audiences and later made by Americans, Metroid is heavily based on the Alien film franchise (not Japanese), and Star Fox is inspired by a British puppet show called Thunderbirds as well as other famous films like Star Wars.

Primarily, this is just Miyamoto and EAD. When we get into other subdivisions of Nintendo, like Kirby, Fire Emblem, or Pokemon, we see heavier Japanese influence. But the big man on top at EAD, that man does NOT pride himself on Japan.
---
#28MaetchPosted 10/30/2013 10:37:30 AM
Austin_4e posted...
Blubbernaut posted...
Hopefully ~

- Takamaru - Nazo no Muramase (1986)
- Little Mac - Punch-Out!! (1987)
- Sukapon - Joy Mecha Fight (1992)
- Lip - Puzzle League / Panel de Pon (1995)

Whoa, way too many Japanese-only characters!

I'd be fine with one... but three? Hold up. I think of all of them, Takamaru deserves it most, if only because of Nintendoland (and I guess because he's the most "retro" of them).

You do realize Nintendo is Japanese? Lucas, Marth, and Roy would also like a word with you.

You do know that Nintendo aims for universal appeal, right? Miyamoto even stated that he prefers Western media over Japanese, like Disney and Popeye, he's even gone as far to say he sees himself as more American than Japanese. Nintendo isn't the kind of company to pride itself on Japan.

Besides, Earthbound made its way to the US and later Europe, and Lucas is part of that series. And by now, Fire Emblem is everywhere as well. I believe Sakurai even stated that he wanted less Japanese-only characters from now on.

This is what bugs me about a lot of fans, they're really too into Japanese culture, way more than the company is themselves.

With that kind of thinking, you would think that Nintendo would be all over their America-only franchises like StarTropics. Instead, they pretend such games never existed.
#29harvestmoonmikePosted 10/30/2013 10:51:10 AM
Maetch posted...

With that kind of thinking, you would think that Nintendo would be all over their America-only franchises like StarTropics. Instead, they pretend such games never existed.

They'd rather appeal to all audiences, or at least, Miyamoto would. Not specifically America or any one region.

Thing is, US is still Nintendo's biggest moneymaker, they know this, but they're also Japanese themselves, and I'm sure most of them who grew up in Japan playing Nintendo games aren't even aware of Star Tropics or many franchises that made it big in America while hardly existing in Japan. But management still strives to make the games multi-regional, because they know where the money is.

That, and Miyamoto is just a big fan of western media.
---
#30RasumiiPosted 10/30/2013 10:57:29 AM
Little M is definitely a solid choice. He's one of the most widely-accepted characters.

I would love to see Lip, not so much Takamaru. Just my opinion though.
---
3DS FC: 3668-7935-8168
Friend Safari: Tangela, Sawsbuck, and Gogoat