This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was making Smash Bros for both Wii U and 3DS a mistake?

#11DoctorRice(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 1:37:25 PM
Pokemanzzz posted...
DoctorRice posted...
Pokemanzzz posted...
DoctorRice posted...
With the immense success of the 3DS, and the poor sales of the Wii U, perhaps it would have been best for Nintendo to make one of their best selling franchises a Wii U exclusive.

Wii U VERSION

+ HD Graphics
+ Exclusive stages

- More expensive (Console and Game).

3DS VERSION

+ Portable
+ Exclusive Stages
+ Less expensive (Console and Game).

- Worse graphics
-Limited controls

When people have to chose one or the other, this is what it will come down to.

Limited controls on the 3DS? Just buy a circle pad pro, and it will equal the Wii U controls.

Not with those flat, janky-ass analog sticks. They're clearly inferior.

3DS's are selling like biscuits, while the Wii U sales are flopping. I don't think that Sakurai would want to make a Wii U exclusive game just to revive a console. Making two versions of Smash Bros, one portable and one on a home-console was pure genius, and I respect Sakurai for that. He made two versions of the game to get more sales from the 3DS version, and to revive the Wii U. Now that is efficient marketing!

How the hell is that a response to what I said?
---
Stop whining.
#12liamx2000Posted 10/30/2013 1:40:05 PM
dedekong posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...
This game will sell Wii U's. I know plenty of people who are holding off on buying a Wii U until Smash Bros comes out.

Unless you know over 6 million people who are waiting for Smash in order to buy a Wii U, your point really is moot. Nintendo is expecting 9 million Wii U's sold, and they only have a little over 3 million sold... with 300K sold this year (world wide) so far. Take this into consideration: Melee, arguably the best Smash in the series, couldn't save the gamecube despite selling a little less than 7 million over the GCN's life cycle. Life cycle, not the first one, two, or three years. Smash is a selling force, yes, but when you consider that no one is buying a Wii U + the general interest in Smash has clearly wavered... I don't see it happening.

that's nice..........
#13davidledsmaPosted 10/30/2013 2:13:44 PM
Ghasts posted...
Pokemanzzz posted...
Limited controls on the 3DS? Just buy a circle pad pro, and it will equal the Wii U controls.

We don't know if the Circle Pad Pro's circle pad will function as a C-stick.

On a related note, the 3DS version will very effectively murder your shoulder buttons.

Any game will break it. Even your camera.
---
Divine Dragon's Blood is back in stock.
#14BigRoosterPosted 10/30/2013 2:15:50 PM
Maybe. I'm waiting for both to release to either condemn it or praise it.
---
Walk into the club, like, "what up..."
#15Seb_RamorayPosted 10/30/2013 2:17:13 PM
liamx2000 posted...
dedekong posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...
This game will sell Wii U's. I know plenty of people who are holding off on buying a Wii U until Smash Bros comes out.

Unless you know over 6 million people who are waiting for Smash in order to buy a Wii U, your point really is moot. Nintendo is expecting 9 million Wii U's sold, and they only have a little over 3 million sold... with 300K sold this year (world wide) so far. Take this into consideration: Melee, arguably the best Smash in the series, couldn't save the gamecube despite selling a little less than 7 million over the GCN's life cycle. Life cycle, not the first one, two, or three years. Smash is a selling force, yes, but when you consider that no one is buying a Wii U + the general interest in Smash has clearly wavered... I don't see it happening.

that's nice..........

Considering Wii U will get a new 3D Mario this year, I think the Wii u is safe. But if it magically sells bad, Nintendo still have 3DS sales and other games on the coming to save wii U
---
List of 100 snags: 12
Destiny: 3rd place Lucas, 2nd Place Trevor, Champion as Poo, 7th Place Gardevoir, now: ---
#16ChrisCanbergPosted 11/1/2013 12:19:15 PM
dedekong posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...

Iwata stated at the briefing recently that the holiday season will be very telling of what happens to Wii U. Besides the fact that they need to market the system, I fully expect them to drop the price to $200-250 soon. And when they do, then we'll see a PS3-like turnaround.

Speaking of the PS3, anybody who has ever thought of the Wii U being a failure only after it's first year need only look there (and to a lesser extent 3DS). That system was one of the worst launches in history. But price cuts, bundles and advertising helped build momentum.

The Wii U will turn around even if it costs Nintendo some big bucks to do so.