This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Play me and better your Smash game. Part 2.

#1ShindoSlashPosted 11/11/2013 2:16:11 PM
First of all, the Brawl board (including online) are completely dead so I figured this was the most appropriate place to make this topic.

If you want to play someone that's half-decent competitive player (definitely not a top player or anything) who can also offer advice afterwords to the best of his ability, I'm your guy.

I'm doing this for 2 reasons:

1. For fun.I love facing new people and experiencing new playstyles.
2. To help better the Gamefaqs Smash community. Oddly Gamefaqs isn't known for being quite skilled at Smash (at least not recently) despite the community being enormous. I want to change that in preparation of Smash 4.
3. Remade the topic as the other one became off topic entirely.

Now as you know, Brawl's wifi is not the best to say the least. So there is going to be some lag but we can work through it as long as it's playable (and it usually is 1vs1). I'd also prefer for this reason for people to pick mainly neutral stages (Smashville, Battlefied, Yoshis etc.) when we play because from my experience the lag becomes worse on janky stages. I will also be following other standard tournament rules which include items off and an 8 minute timer (if it goes to time person with more stocks/less percent wins).

I'm actually available to play right now so if you want to just post your FC and add mine (which is in my sig). I'm going to go by a first come first serve basis.

If a lot of people end up showing up I will probably start limiting it to around 10 games per person which should be more than enough to disect your playstyle. However, if you have a very interesting playstyle or are significantly better than me I might reward you with more games.

If it lags too much I might also stop just as a warning.

Now I've already promised 2 other players I'd play them but if they don't show up I'll play others in the meantime.
---
Brawl FC: 0047-5751-2355
PSN: ShindoSlash
#2Pikachu942Posted 11/11/2013 2:16:42 PM
I'll play you later, gotta do my HW for now.
---
Smash Big Brother: Simon Belmont, The Host, Hades Kitchen: Simon Belmont In case you couldn't tell...Belmont for Smash Bros.!
http://imgur.com/McRUTc1
#3ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 4:55:16 PM
Bump, I'm available to play again if anyone wants.
---
#4ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:25:04 PM
GGS Raja, let me know if/when you want advice.
---
#5RajakaiTheBeastPosted 11/11/2013 6:30:50 PM
ShindoSlash posted...
GGS Raja, let me know if/when you want advice.

I would like it now. If its cool with you. *gets notebook and pencil*
---
Official Sonic of Smash 3DS
-Dr.Robotnik in every single Sonic Adventure boss battle
#6ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:43:43 PM
Hmm let's see. Your Sonic has potential, you definitely have the patience to play him effectively. You go for a lot of resets and mindgames, this is really good, you should continue to improve on this.

Your main issue is your Brawl fundamentals are not all there.

1. Don't always stale out all your kill moves at mid percents. You should use them at low percents and then not use them again until they are at kill percent. This is because Brawl has a stale move negation system, if you keep using a move, it grows weaker in both damage and knockback until it's refreshed by using other moves. And Sonic needs all the help he can get. That's partially why you had so much trouble killing even when your Smash attacks hit.

2. You rely a bit too much on his Smash attacks to kill. Again I know Sonic's kill options are limited but he definitely has a few other options. His back air and up air for instance. When I was knocked high in the air you could have gone for a few surprise bairs/uairs. But you almost always just attempted to charge a Smash attack on the ground and hope I'd run into it, it became easy to see after a while.

3. In general I recommend learning about short hopping (you didn't seem to do this at all) and out of shield options. Believe me, they'll open up a ton of options for you. Likewise I would learn about tilting as well (not sure if you do this or not).

4. Stage control. If I'm recovering you should either edge guard me directly (with back air attempts for instance) or stand slightly away from the ledge and try to read/react to my get off the ledge options. You shouldn't just give me the whole stage back for free. Notice how much more trouble you had getting back on stage compared to me.

I think that's enough for now.
---
#7Pikachu942Posted 11/11/2013 6:45:30 PM
ShindoSlash posted...
Hmm let's see. Your Sonic has potential, you definitely have the patience to play him effectively. You go for a lot of resets and mindgames, this is really good, you should continue to improve on this.

1. Don't always stale out all your kill moves at mid percents. You should use them at low percents and then not use them again until they are at kill percent. This is because Brawl has a stale move negation system, if you keep using a move, it grows weaker in both damage and knockback until it's refreshed by using other moves. And Sonic needs all the help he can get. That's partially why you had so much trouble killing even when your Smash attacks hit.

2. You rely a bit too much on his Smash attacks to kill. Again I know Sonic's kill options are limited but he definitely has a few other options. His back air and up air for instance. When I was knocked high in the air you could have gone for a few surprise bairs/uairs. But you almost always just attempted to charge a Smash attack on the ground and hope I'd run into it, it became easy to see after a while.

3. In general I recommend learning about short hopping (you didn't seem to do this at all) and out of shield options. Believe me, they'll open up a ton of options for you. Likewise I would learn about tilting as well (not sure if you do this or not).

4. Stage control. If I'm recovering you should either edge guard me directly (with back air attempts for instance) or stand slightly away from the ledge and try to read/react to my get off the ledge options. You shouldn't just give me the whole stage back for free. Notice how much more trouble you had getting back on stage compared to me.

Doesn't Sonic have the Sonic Eagle as a spike, or am I thinking Project M again?
---
Smash Big Brother: Simon Belmont, The Host, Hades Kitchen: Simon Belmont In case you couldn't tell...Belmont for Smash Bros.!
http://imgur.com/McRUTc1
#8ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:47:05 PM
Oh and I almost forgot, don't ALWAYS come down with his down air when you are super high up. Yes I know you can sort of auto-cancel it into a shield to make it safe but still, if you do it all the time, it still becomes easy to see coming and punishable.

I got a number of kills that way. For instance as DDD, I knew you would come down with it so I just spammed his up tilt and that trade will always be in my favour.
---
#9ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:54:31 PM
Pikachu942 posted...
ShindoSlash posted...

Doesn't Sonic have the Sonic Eagle as a spike, or am I thinking Project M again?

I'm not sure. His spring might cause spikes depending on how it hits offstage but beyond that I don't know.

I don't know much about Sonic.
---
#10ShindoSlash(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:57:13 PM
Unless you are asking if any of his regular aerial moves can cause spikes in which case, no they can't.
---