This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Villager: Low Tier? Or LOWEST Tier?

#1JacornonthecobPosted 12/2/2013 2:40:42 AM
Stop. I know what you're going to say. "It's too early to judge characters, the game isn't even finished yet moron" you say through haggard breaths, scratching your neckbeard and stuffing a few more bagel bites down your throat before the next Walking Dead episode comes on. Well guess what. We can tell solely from the screenshots, videos, and Sakurais testimonials that it not the lowest tiered character in the game, Villager will at the very least be low tier. I'm just gonna list some facts, by the end you'll be hoping for Tom Nook as a second newcomer, if only to have a viable AC character.

You must recover! Badly.
Villagers up B is a balloon hat from Balloon Fighter, and allows him to move freely (slowly) through the air. This is similar to Pits recovery move, which is competitively awful and offset only by his multiple jumps and glide, characteristics Villager doesn't have. Even if you assume Villager has a gyroid rocket as another recovery option, his vertical recovery is still awful. Too many opponents will be able to easily pop his balloons for him to be anything but low tier.

If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is around to get hit by it, it's an awful move
I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that in a tournament setting, nobody in the entire world will ever be hit by this move. Imagine this in a Brawl setting. It wouldn't be able to hit the likes of Ganondorf, let alone Meta Knight. And brawl is reportedly slower than SSBfWU/3DS. So nobody ever is going to get hit by this. It's the equivalent of if DK, after charging his neutral B, could only unleash the punch in the exact spot where he finished charging it, and there was a fluorescent marker on the stage to tell the opponent where to avoid. Similarly, Villagers other moves seem to be slow as well, such as the bowling ball move, which was clearly designed with a four person brawl in mind, not one on one competition.

Yoshi may be cut, but his terrible grab lives on
Let's talk about ranged grabs. They're slow, but you get extra range, and for the most part can use it to latch onto the side of the stage for a neat tether recovery. Outside of, of course, Yoshi and now Villager. Villagers net grab, while packing some sweet range, is slow, and will leave him easily open to attack if he misses, which he will frequently due to low speed. This essentially removes his grab game from competitive consideration.

Turnips: Or, how I lost a tournament because of inconsistent aerials
So his big damage dealing moves suck (tree) and his grabs suck, how do you kill with this guy? The obvious answer would be aerials, but due to today's information, the real answer is "You don't". Due to their random nature, Villager players will be constantly botching KO opportunities due to the emergence of a weaker, one turnip move at opportune moments. Their random nature makes them inconsistent, and will overtime no longer be used by competitive players sick of losing to random chance. Tripping essentially lives on in villager. Speaking of which...

Tripping lives on in Villager
His dash move consists of him tripping. Despite the unrelated traumatic events this makes you recall, it's actually horrible for a completely different reason. It's a horribly slow dash move. This means Villager will have trouble picking up items like Diddy's bananas and ROB's gyros without completely stopping his momentum. On average, characters with god awful dash moves are low tier.

Recap
So based on what we've seen (which will hopefully be changed), here's what we know about Villager:
-No recovery
-Nonexistent or inconsistent kill options
-Poor grab
-Poor dash attack
-Light weight

That's a whole lot of negatives, and the game isn't even released yet! So far his only positive attribute is his neutral B. I don't think it'll make up for the rest.
#2guedesbrawlPosted 12/2/2013 2:43:40 AM
YES! hoping that he is the next pichu!
---
Learn this, gamers: "It's better to judge a game by the execution of what it set out to do instead of wishing it did something else" - Akito_Kinomoto
#3Jacornonthecob(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 2:49:48 AM
guedesbrawl posted...

I think he will be. Sakurai is pissed at all the people who called him out last time when he said Villager can't fight, now he's showing is firsthand.
#4guedesbrawlPosted 12/2/2013 2:52:46 AM
Jacornonthecob posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

I think he will be. Sakurai is pissed at all the people who called him out last time when he said Villager can't fight, now he's showing is firsthand.

great. maybe he will beso bad that even on a casual setting people will say: my god, this guy SUCKS!!!!

and maybe he will get cut for SSB5. Hopefully.
---
Learn this, gamers: "It's better to judge a game by the execution of what it set out to do instead of wishing it did something else" - Akito_Kinomoto
#5dehsooPosted 12/2/2013 3:00:41 AM
Since you have access to a time machine can you give us input on Cloud and Sora on why they are both top tier?
---
http://i.imgur.com/9jLsUC4.png
#6Jacornonthecob(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 3:01:34 AM
guedesbrawl posted...
Jacornonthecob posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

great. maybe he will beso bad that even on a casual setting people will say: my god, this guy SUCKS!!!!

and maybe he will get cut for SSB5. Hopefully.

I mean it's entirely possible, but I hope he sticks around, I like Animal Crossing. Even if he's the worst ever.
#7SerenasoPosted 12/2/2013 3:02:12 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8Jacornonthecob(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 3:03:29 AM
dehsoo posted...
Since you have access to a time machine can you give us input on Cloud and Sora on why they are both top tier?

I don't have a time machine. Those characters probably won't be playable though.
#9dehsooPosted 12/2/2013 3:08:08 AM
Jacornonthecob posted...

I don't have a time machine. Those characters probably won't be playable though.

Obviously you're just saying that so that you don't cause a butterfly effect where this timeline diverges off the path where we have Cloud and Sora in the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9jLsUC4.png
#10Jacornonthecob(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 3:11:34 AM
dehsoo posted...
Jacornonthecob posted...

Obviously you're just saying that so that you don't cause a butterfly effect where this timeline diverges off the path where we have Cloud and Sora in the game.

Mmhmm. So you think villager will be awful too then?