Sooo...Why is Namco working on this game???

#1IcobaltedgeIPosted 12/28/2013 10:57:36 PM
All I've heard about this is that Namco is helping out with SSB4. What does this mean? Are they helping to balance the fighting engine so it's more fair? I've never seen any mention of what their actual role is for working on the game. So what's Namco doing with Smash? Does anyone even know?

If it's true that Namco is helping to balance the game do you think it's in good hands with them? If that's the case do you think we'll see a Namco rep? I know Pacman is suggested a lot but do you think it's unlikely that we'll see an actual Namco fighting character? I suggest Yoshimitsu if so.
---
did, dod, dud, etc...
#2Someguy_13Posted 12/28/2013 10:59:19 PM
Well Sakurai recently (and disappointingly) mentioned he's handling balance by himself again, so that rules that out.

Honestly at this point the most likely area that Namco is involved in is the online.
So that could actually turn out good.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#3IcobaltedgeI(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 11:12:37 PM
Awww that's too bad. It's so strange seeing that they're there but seemingly not obviously doing anything. If they're working on the online that would be pretty cool. But it seems like they're just sitting around drinking coffee and cracking jokes. I keep hearing things like "oh Namco won't have any say on the roster so they probably won't get a character" and now "Sakurai said he's working on balancing by himself" so why are they even there? :/

Although, if they are helping to make the online good I'm totally for that. Brawl failed terribly in that aspect. Here's hoping ssb4 will have an awesome online functionality.
---
did, dod, dud, etc...
#4Someguy_13Posted 12/28/2013 11:17:36 PM
Well, it's a lot of work to do things like make and animate a character model.
Then there's music to compose and remix, stages to design and make work.

Just general game making stuff to be done. They're likely doing most of that too.

The reason they went specifically to Namco is likely because of their experience with fighting games.
But the only reason that would be particularly valuable is for balancing the characters, or making a solid online.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#5Pikachu942Posted 12/28/2013 11:18:37 PM
They are there to give Smash Bros Pac-Man.

Seriously, though, they are probably there for online or a minor part in balancing.
---
Official host of Smash Big Brother and President of Smash 4 Wii U Boards
Simon Belmont for Smash Bros.! http://imgur.com/McRUTc1: Big Brother Season 1
#6ImGanondorfLolPosted 12/29/2013 3:55:27 AM
Link looks like a Soul Calibur character this time around, I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind some of the character models, or environments. And Battlefield looks like a soul calibur-esque stage.

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/link/screen-5.jpg

But considering namco has developed fighting games, it's obvious why they're involved. It's not like Sakurai works on the entire fighting system on his own.
---
Number of people who agree Ganondorf should be super overpowered in Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U/3DS and have three different movesets: 748
#7cerneljosonPosted 12/29/2013 4:23:07 AM
They're doing the grunt work, they were going to handle some of the balancing too but then Sakurai decided that he wasn't going to let anyone else handle it for no reason other than being a damn control freak.
---
Now I'm seriously serious.