This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Were you so mad with Brawl's roster that you said "I'll never play this game!"?

#1MooMindedPosted 2/2/2014 2:02:24 AM
but then as time went on, you calmed down, mellowed out, saw how much fun other people were having/such good reviews it was getting, realized that the industry didn't revolve around a roster tailored to your personal tastes, and finally give the game itself a try and/or maybe even ended up purchasing it for yourself?

I know I was like that with Brawl. I hated the inclusion of characters like R.O.B, Wolf, and Lucario, and was angry that two characters I wanted didn't get in (Krystal and Lip) and I boycotted the game saying I'll never play it for about a full year (I was a very stupid teenager) before finally calming down and getting it for myself, getting over my personal bias/anger.

So what about you guys? Were you ever angry at Brawl's roster enough to have this reaction?

And do you think that you'll end up giving this game the same treatment considering how the roster is shaping up so far?

A lot of people seem very VERY unhappy with the choice of newcomers and veterans... and are already saying if _____ is/isn't in, they'll make sure to never buy the game. Think eventually they'll get over their anger/bias and give the game a chance and/or purchase it for themselves?
#2ecylisPosted 2/2/2014 2:03:50 AM
no because they overhyped it so much and all I had was melee with like 24 characters

this game is like if I can't play as Ridley I just don't care anymore Project M probably has way better physics anyway
---
3DS Friend Code: 3582-9158-2225 - Grass: Oddish, Ivysaur, Quilladin
#3LupheXinePosted 2/2/2014 2:11:24 AM
ecylis posted...
no because they overhyped it so much and all I had was melee with like 24 characters

this game is like if I can't play as Ridley I just don't care anymore Project M probably has way better physics anyway

I don't mean this in a negative way, but you're better off sticking with Project M if that's what you're shooting for. Or waiting until someone makes a Project M out of this upcoming installment (which I'm almost positive will eventually happen).
---
"Some friends come, and some friends go...some friends we never see again... But we keep going on and on, don't we Mr. B?" - Little Sister
#4CubeTVPosted 2/2/2014 2:33:51 AM(edited)
For me, I was the opposite about the whole thing. I used to not study fighting games like Smash and such. I thought the game was better than Melee in every way.

I got sucked into the Brawl hype and enjoyed it for a few years (till 2011), then when my family didn't have Brawl, I personally went back to Melee and realized how much better it felt. At the time (2011), my brain started getting more weary about stuff and that included games. I noticed how much faster Melee felt to Brawl, how much higher quality almost everything (single player modes, event matches, minigames, trophies, lottery) was instead of just seeing Brawl as a "better Melee". I stared feeling like Brawl was a "small backwards Melee" because I realized almost all the stuff that was new to Brawl was pretty much useless (SSE, Chronicles, Masterpieces, stickers).

First time I went back to Melee, I wanted to try to be the best. But my brothers didn't want to play Melee anymore since Brawl had "more Melee". So I was just stuck with CPU players. In single player mode, I kept telling myself I want to be the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmA9MmIYNvY
This is the first video of Melee I ever made, and I put so much dedication to it that that's when it hit me when I was finally able to do it... "I don't just like Melee more than Brawl, I hate Brawl".

I can easily go on a lot longer to show even more support. lol Sorry if I rambled TC.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#5Gargomon251Posted 2/2/2014 2:35:41 AM
I don't remember ever being angry that anyone was in brawl...even rob was an interesting surprise.
---
Hopes for SSB4: Ridley, Krystal, Lucina, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr.
Hates for SSB4: Pac Man, Miis, Waluigi, Daisy, Toad
#6MajinTenshinhanPosted 2/2/2014 2:38:05 AM
CubeTV posted...
For me, I was the opposite about the whole thing. I used to not study fighting games like Smash and such. I thought the game was better than Melee in every way.

I got sucked into the Brawl hype and enjoyed it for a few years (till 2011), then when my family didn't have Brawl, I personally went back to Melee and realized how much better it felt. At the time (2011), my brain started getting more weary about stuff and that included games. I noticed how much faster Melee felt to Brawl, how much higher quality almost everything (single player modes, event matches, minigames, trophies, lottery) was instead of just seeing Brawl as a "better Melee". I stared feeling like Brawl was a "small backwards Melee" because I realized almost all the stuff that was new to Brawl was pretty much useless (SSE, Chronicles, Masterpieces, stickers).

First time I went back to Melee, I wanted to try to be the best. But my brothers didn't want to play Melee anymore since Brawl had "more Melee". So I was just stuck with CPU players. In single player mode, I kept telling myself I want to be the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmA9MmIYNvY
This is the first video of Melee I ever made, and I put so much dedication to it that that's when it hit me when I was finally able to do it... "I don't just like Melee more than Brawl, I hate Brawl".

I can easily go on a lot longer to show even more support. lol Sorry if I rambled TC.

What the hell did I just read.
---
Du är min getsallad. Haha, på pungen lol
Jag vill gräva bajs med din grävmaskin. Glass
#7magiciandudePosted 2/2/2014 2:44:34 AM
No because all but one character that I wanted to appear made it in. The only character I wanted that didn't make the roster cut was Mega Man and I was disappointed with Mewtwo being dropped.
---
Sig created to celebrate my 10th anniversary here on GameFAQs!
#8ecylisPosted 2/2/2014 2:53:53 AM
CubeTV posted...
I noticed how much faster Melee felt to Brawl, how much higher quality almost everything (single player modes, event matches, minigames, trophies, lottery) was instead of just seeing Brawl as a "better Melee".

I agree with this
---
3DS Friend Code: 3582-9158-2225 - Grass: Oddish, Ivysaur, Quilladin
#9Gargomon251Posted 2/2/2014 3:59:03 AM
CubeTV posted...
,how much higher quality almost everything (single player modes, event matches, minigames, trophies, lottery) was

How can this part be about melee!?
---
Hopes for SSB4: Ridley, Krystal, Lucina, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr.
Hates for SSB4: Pac Man, Miis, Waluigi, Daisy, Toad
#10XWolfOPosted 2/2/2014 4:01:16 AM
Nope. I was pretty sure I was getting the game no matter what, and I liked everyone that was in.
---
Woof!