Smash Bros 3DS just seems.... pointless...

#31MikokiriPosted 2/19/2014 8:28:41 PM
DasDavid posted...
Shackleford_R posted...
It's also gonna make for less Wii U sales that way.

Or just more sales in general?... I mean honestly, 3DS owners that don't have a Wii U are either

A.) Gonna buy this game because, "hey, it's available on a platform I already own!" (money goes to Nintendo)

B.) Gonna buy a Wii U because, "well, I'd prefer this on a platform with local multiplayer, HD, etc, guess it's time to finally grab that Wii U!" (money goes to Nintendo)

Now what can a person that owns NEITHER do?

A.) "Man new Smash Bros.! But I own no system and have little expendable income to buy one... Well maybe I at least manage to buy the cheaper 3DS!" (money goes to Nintendo)

B.) "I have enough expendable income/ I am willing to save up longer to buy a system! Guess I'll go with Wii U for that local multiplayer, HD, etc." (money goes to Nintendo)

What I don't see happening is "I have a 3DS and the money to buy a Wii U in order to get Smash on a home console, where I'd prefer it, but I'm too stubborn to buy it so I'll just get it for the 3DS" (guess what though, money still goes to Nintendo.)

Anyway you split it, Nintendo is setting it up to get the max amount of sales possible. Smash is no less of a system-seller just because it's on the 3DS as well. It just gives options to people.

You sir are 100% correct.
And hardcore SSB players will actually buy both of them, like myself, but no matter what, money will go to nintendo... And Mario kart 8 is also coming out for the Wii u = more reason to buy a wii u... And that zelda game they showed off...
---
0490 - 5355 - 7480 (NO adding me unless allowed)
In search of: Ankha, and willing to take any unwanted villagers.
#32smashman92Posted 2/19/2014 8:45:14 PM
Given the install base of the 3DS, it's likely that a lot of people will buy the 3DS version instead. If this game was a Wii U exclusive, then it would be a reason for people to buy a Wii U. If they bought a Wii U then they would be more likely to buy other games for the console as well.

There was a point in the Wii U's life time when they were expecting to have a net loss for each console sold but they expected software sales to make up for that. To have good software sales, they need to sell consoles. To sell consoles they need must-have games.

You can get SSB4 on 3DS. Maybe the Wii U version will still be enough to make people buy a Wii U. There's always Mario Kart to say the day as well.
---
Charizard for SSBU
Friend Safari: Grass Type: Sunkern,Petilil,and Quilladin
#33EstheimasterPosted 2/19/2014 8:51:42 PM
To those saying that the Ice Climbers programming was an issue:
-They've had several months to work on it since then.
-Rosalina and Luma seem like a much more complex character to program.
-Several 3DS games have had many characters on the same screen at the same time (KH:DDD, KI:U)
-Olimar was tougher for the Project M team to program than Ice Climbers, and we're seeing him return.
---
3DS FC: 4596 9948 4995 (Fighting Safari with Machoke, Throh, and Riolu)
Shiny Value: 695 (PM me to hatch your shiny- I won't ask for anything in return!)
#34Shackleford_RPosted 2/19/2014 8:54:02 PM
DasDavid posted...
Shackleford_R posted...
It's also gonna make for less Wii U sales that way.

Or just more sales in general?... I mean honestly, 3DS owners that don't have a Wii U are either

A.) Gonna buy this game because, "hey, it's available on a platform I already own!" (money goes to Nintendo)

B.) Gonna buy a Wii U because, "well, I'd prefer this on a platform with local multiplayer, HD, etc, guess it's time to finally grab that Wii U!" (money goes to Nintendo)

Now what can a person that owns NEITHER do?

A.) "Man new Smash Bros.! But I own no system and have little expendable income to buy one... Well maybe I at least manage to buy the cheaper 3DS!" (money goes to Nintendo)

B.) "I have enough expendable income/ I am willing to save up longer to buy a system! Guess I'll go with Wii U for that local multiplayer, HD, etc." (money goes to Nintendo)

What I don't see happening is "I have a 3DS and the money to buy a Wii U in order to get Smash on a home console, where I'd prefer it, but I'm too stubborn to buy it so I'll just get it for the 3DS" (guess what though, money still goes to Nintendo.)

Anyway you split it, Nintendo is setting it up to get the max amount of sales possible. Smash is no less of a system-seller just because it's on the 3DS as well. It just gives options to people.

You're definitely correct that it makes more money this way, but that's not my point. The Wii U's only hope at this point is exclusives. People buy a Nintendo system for games they can't get anywhere else, that's just how it is. I'm not saying Smash will single handedly sell Wii Us, but as it stands it needs all the help it can get, and Smash is some serious muscle. A person who buys SSB4 for the 3DS is much less likely to consider the same game a big incentive for buying a Wii U later down the line.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1805-2635-7009
Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, and Dewgong
#35CantSeeRightPosted 2/22/2014 6:53:23 AM
I think some people forget that not all of us can afford to just throw money at Nintendo to buy a Wii U just for this game.

If there was no 3DS version, I would not get to own this game because I wouldn't be able to afford a Wii U. But I already own a 3DS, so I am incredibly grateful for the 3DS version.

Yes, SSB is a system shifter. But Nintendo also realise that not everyone can shift a system. They're catering for all their audience, and I respect that.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0774-4465-1671 (Name: Luke)
#36ReachOutToTruthPosted 2/22/2014 7:15:35 AM
If they want to boost sales of the Wii U, the 3DS version can still co-exist. All they would need to do is just have the 3DS version release a few months after the Wii U version. Pull a Twilight Princess.

And I doubt the 3DS is going to gimp the roster. The only concerns were Ice Climbers and Olimar, (because in 4-player mirror matches that many objects might cause the game to slow down) but both of them have been confirmed. What possible characters would be "too much for the 3DS to handle"?
---
Since I'm not popular, I'll post on GameFAQs.
http://i.imgur.com/94p3Mvv.gif http://i.imgur.com/5fMYoER.gif http://i.imgur.com/bc4z4dP.gif
#37ljobenzaPosted 2/22/2014 8:12:33 AM
Seriously, how many times have I seen people say over and over again that the 3DS version supposedly "gimps" the roster?
#38Meltdown1988Posted 2/22/2014 8:27:46 AM(edited)
ReachOutToTruth posted...
And I doubt the 3DS is going to gimp the roster. The only concerns were Ice Climbers and Olimar, (because in 4-player mirror matches that many objects might cause the game to slow down) but both of them have been confirmed. What possible characters would be "too much for the 3DS to handle"?

The Ice Climbers haven't been confirmed yet. But I agree, that whole "3DS can't handle tag-team characters" argument is just stupid as hell. There's never actually any elaborate technological reason given to support it, someone just came up with that rubbish and people for some reason ran with it.
---
Before the soup gets cold, we must care for Mani Mani. Before the knife gets rusty, we must care for Mani Mani.
#39GreatJallopiPosted 2/22/2014 8:26:03 AM
Wii U is an unimpressive system that I refuse to buy for just one game.
---
And all you see is where else you could be when you're at home. And out on the streets are so many possibilities to not be alone.
#40kukingina2Posted 2/22/2014 8:30:51 AM(edited)
because the 3ds version will sell tons more than the wii u

also idiots like me will buy both versions anyways
---
Is Metroid's gun part of his armor or is he a cyborg like Data from Star wars?
NNID: RobertTheZombie Gamertag: Robertzombie 3ds FC: 4940 - 5506 2047