This Ridley nonsense is getting out of hand

#21Prismsblade(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:10:47 AM
GeneralFox posted...
Prismsblade posted...
Kyvos64 posted...
Personality is not the most important thing. Did you know that Metroid is the only active series from the original Smash that still only has one character?

I never noticed or cared, if the developers of the metriod series never bothered to create nor flesh out more characters of the universe the fault lies in them.

If you don't care about their opinions why should anyone give two about yours?

Theres a difference between opinion and facts. The former part of my comment was opinion but the latter was fact.
---
3DS FC: 1693-0799-0030
PSN: Blackkaizer
#22ViewtifulGenePosted 2/28/2014 10:14:05 AM
Prismsblade posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
Prismsblade posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
He was already shown as a savage monster in Melee. Meaning there is already precedent for a playable savage monster in a game without an SSE-style story mode.

Bowsers portrayals from his other titles gave him enough character for people to see there was more to him to then what melee showed. Unlike ridley whos a beast in every title hes in.

We"re not just talking about playability but likablity as well, and theres no reason at all for ridley to be at the top of anyones list.

It doesn't matter that hes the only recurring character in metriod it just makes people look desperate when they push so hard for a character like him when theres much better out there.

Show me the elaborate characterization given to Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon before GX, Pit before KIU, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. before they were made playable in SSB. Then we'll talk. Until then, I fail to see why lack of characterization is a valid argument against a character.

Never mind how Bowser fit in just fine as the savage monster even when his source material said otherwise. If anything, Ridley fits the savage monster role played by Melee Bowser even better than Bowser did. That sounds like a positive if you ask me. Why should we lose a playable savage monster just because Bowser stopped being one? A savage monster in a cast full of humanoids and tamed creatures would be unique. And what better choice than the most-recurring Metroid boss?

Heres a better question, who were asking for any of these guys? Fans are not given full control of roster picks. Some characters are added usually to pay homage to old series or promote them usually to jump start their series again and give them real characterization' cough' kid icurus'.

Nobody was asking for the ice climbers to return, nor for rob or game&watch inclusions. Ridely should not be on the top of anyones want list as he is now.

Don't dodge my question. Why are the characters I listed well-received in Smash if they lack elaborate characterization? Why does characterization matter when there are a plethora of characters who are well-received without it? If other characters can be liked for reasons besides characterization, then why can't Ridley be wanted as well?
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Falcon Pope of the Church of Captain Falcon for the SSB4 board.
#23ViewtifulGenePosted 2/28/2014 10:18:08 AM
Read this topic. It establishes that the characters this board appreciates in SSB are not limited to who they requested based on characterization in games they played previously.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68225160
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#24BatoideusPosted 2/28/2014 10:20:50 AM
Kyvos64 posted...
Personality is not the most important thing. Did you know that Metroid is the only active series from the original Smash that still only has one character?

So are you considering Yoshi dead for some reason, or are you just completely ignoring that he has his own series?
#25Kyvos64Posted 2/28/2014 10:26:48 AM
Batoideus posted...
Kyvos64 posted...

So are you considering Yoshi dead for some reason, or are you just completely ignoring that he has his own series?

Right, sorry. I meant to include non-spinoff in the description.
---
Self-proclaimed Non-Specific Action Figure of the SSBU boards
#26Prismsblade(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:46:35 AM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Don't dodge my question. Why are the characters I listed well-received in Smash if they lack elaborate characterization? Why does characterization matter when there are a plethora of characters who are well-received without it? If other characters can be liked for reasons besides characterization, then why can't Ridley be wanted as well?

The same reason anyone would like a character in a fighter/brawl game, if they now nothing of somebodys source material, their gameplay and style. And from the characters you mentioned besides for cap falcon and pit how many of them have seen any sort of success outside melee and brawl?

Its up to the developers imagination how much they can flesh a character out due to a lack of source material. And even then their relevance outside ssb is not certain.

Ridleys just gonna turn out to be a mindless monster as he is most of the time so unless hes not only a high tier character or at the very least fun hes just gonna be a wasted slot.

People can want ridley as much as they want but their will forever be many better options besides him.
---
3DS FC: 1693-0799-0030
PSN: Blackkaizer
#27InnerTubeHeroPosted 2/28/2014 10:47:46 AM
Kyvos64 posted...

F-Zero?
---
Rangers: 33-24-3. Sucks living in a city that pays more attention to the world's worst basketball team.
Spurs: 41-16.
#28Magitek111Posted 2/28/2014 10:51:13 AM
InnerTubeHero posted...
Kyvos64 posted...

F-Zero?

"Active". F-Zero is dead, sadly.
---
Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
Let's attack aggressively!
#29InnerTubeHeroPosted 2/28/2014 10:52:09 AM
Magitek111 posted...
InnerTubeHero posted...
Kyvos64 posted...

F-Zero?

"Active". F-Zero is dead, sadly.

Ah.

Then... Yoshi?
---
Rangers: 33-24-3. Sucks living in a city that pays more attention to the world's worst basketball team.
Spurs: 41-16.
#30ViewtifulGenePosted 2/28/2014 11:01:47 AM(edited)
Prismsblade posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

The same reason anyone would like a character in a fighter/brawl game, if they now nothing of somebodys source material, their gameplay and style. And from the characters you mentioned besides for cap falcon and pit how many of them have seen any sort of success outside melee and brawl?

Its up to the developers imagination how much they can flesh a character out due to a lack of source material. And even then their relevance outside ssb is not certain.

Ridleys just gonna turn out to be a mindless monster as he is most of the time so unless hes not only a high tier character or at the very least fun hes just gonna be a wasted slot.

People can want ridley as much as they want but their will forever be many better options besides him.

Regardless of characterization he is the most-recurring boss of a long-running Nintendo franchise with little representation in SSB. If you ask me, that makes him a pretty solid choice for a game where characterization doesn't matter. Especially when he has plenty of uniqueness potential as demonstrated in fan hacks that have made him playable. Being a savage monster only makes him a better choice since the series no longer has Bowser filling that unique role.
---