The reasons why Snake should not be in, DEBUNKED

#1wah_wah_wahPosted 5/18/2014 9:37:09 PM
He's not Nintendo enough!
Snake appeared on a Nintendo console far before Sonic, a confirmed character. Sonic's first appearance on a Nintendo console was in 2001. Snake appeared on a Nintendo console as early as 1988. So Snake already has more history on Nintendo than Sonic. You can argue, you didn't want Sonic in either but I see very few anti-Snake people making that point. You can argue that Sonic has more history WITH Nintendo than on it, meriting his inclusion, and that is a fair point. But it still doesn't mean he is Nintendo or ever will be. He is Sega as Sega can be.

Snake was a bad character in Brawl!
Snake is currently 6th on the tier list in Brawl. You can say you were never good with the character, that is why you don't want him in and that is fair. But you cannot say that means the larger point that he is badly designed just because you specifically were not good with using him. That makes no sense. How does your personal experience rate the same as the combined personal experience of thousands of committed Brawl players?

It will drive sales to the PS4 and XboxOne!
Like I said before, people act like Nintendo is directly competing against the PS4 and XboxOne. Here's a newsflash - they aren't and they haven't been for awhile now. They aren't competing on hardware, they aren't competing with similar marketing strategies either. Their strategy seems to be to position themselves as the second console, not as someone's primary console. That's one reason they got such a huge market share the last generation, because while most gamers either owned a PS3 or an Xbox360, enough of both owned a Wii to help boost it over the edge. The fact that Metal Gear games aren't made for Wii U means literally nothing because making high end graphic games to directly compete with the bigs is not part of their strategy anymore anyway.

Snake clashes with Smash Brothers 4 visual style!
All of the characters are designed to look like they are in the appearances of their games, and since their games have different styles for the most part, it is a misnomer to say that it is even possible to have one visual style for all the characters, or that there was one in the first place. Hell Toon Link is cel shaded and Game and Watch doesn't even exist in the 3rd dimension. If you aren't arguing for the removal of those characters for clashing with the other character's visual style then I don't know how you can do that for Snake.

Cutting Snake means there is more room for another Konami character!
No it doesn't. Why would they have to cut an already designed and realized character to make room for another character from the same company that they'd have to come up with from scratch? It's not like there is a rule that says there can be only one Konami character. Your other most wanted Konami character rises and falls on its own merits, and has nothing to do with Snake being in the game as well.

There may be some I am missing, but for the most part this covers the biggest reasons I keep seeing floating around out there. If you can think of another reason why, please let me know. Also I will add that many of these reasons are used as reason why Snake WON'T be in and they are just as wrong arguing that position too. Snake has about as much chance to get cut as any other veteran character at this point. It was never indicated that Konami was loaning Snake out for a one-time appearance so being so certain he is to be cut makes no sense.
#2BiggerRidIeyPosted 5/18/2014 9:38:39 PM
Nice topic.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
Giraffe Ridley for Smash! http://tinyurl.com/pzpgwnh People who agree: 9,469
#3SpindashStudiosPosted 5/18/2014 10:11:56 PM
Totally agree with you about Snake. However, I am fairly confident 3rd-party companies like Konami will be limited to one character and will remain that way.
---
PSN: Spindash / XBL: Spindash / NNID: Spindash
#4FreecsZoldyckPosted 5/18/2014 10:13:35 PM
SpindashStudios posted...
Totally agree with you about Snake. However, I am fairly confident 3rd-party companies like Konami will be limited to one character and will remain that way.

---
"The punch is mightier than the sword!"
Current HYPE!s: RWBY Volume 2, Kingdom Hearts III, Smash Bros 4/5, Mario Kart 8, NUNSR
#5RyoukaiPosted 5/18/2014 10:18:22 PM
10/10.

You call out all the relevant BS arguments, and admit that Snake lacks history with Nintendo. This topic couldn't possibly be any more perfect.
---
The Official Luigi of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U Boards
3DS FC: 5455-9721-8413
#6wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 10:34:54 PM
FreecsZoldyck posted...
SpindashStudios posted...

There's no word from Sakurai or anything that makes your fair amount of confidence about that the truth. Besides cutting Snake doesn't make a different Konami rep more likely. It would seem to indicate to me that they wouldn't want a Konami rep at all if that were the case. They aren't going to cut a completely realized character in favor of a character they would then have to create from scratch, to follow a rule that doesn't exist. Particularly when Snake is pretty good design-wise.
#7Zohar_MetatronPosted 5/18/2014 11:06:20 PM
A lot of these applied to Brawl anyway-the release of Snake Eater on the 3DS is the first thing Kojima was actually involved in on a Nintendo system, and MGSV will be as close to this as MGS4 was to Brawl-yet he made it in there somehow.

Also there's no rule about third-party characters, but there is the business end of things to think about. Sakurai might want to be using the most iconic characters....but those are also the characters that bring in the most attention and sales. Goemon or Alucard just are not on Snake's level, and they're not gonna be nearly as worth the hassle of working out licenses/royalties.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#8wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 11:13:29 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
Also there's no rule about third-party characters, but there is the business end of things to think about. Sakurai might want to be using the most iconic characters....but those are also the characters that bring in the most attention and sales. Goemon or Alucard just are not on Snake's level, and they're not gonna be nearly as worth the hassle of working out licenses/royalties.

Chances are if they are going to cut Snake they aren't going to do it to put someone else in from the same company, is my point. If Snake is cut that doesn't make the chances for another Konami rep any more likely, even if you were following a rule that doesn't exist like "Konami can only have one rep." Snake would be cut for disagreements with the company if anything, and if those disagreements exist then they aren't magically going to not exist with another character.
#9CoddePosted 5/18/2014 11:17:53 PM(edited)
No MG anything on the Wii

...buuut there is that MGS3 DS port.
#10SpindashStudiosPosted 5/18/2014 11:18:26 PM
Sakurai stated 3rd-party characters would be kept to a minimum. "Minimum" being a keyword here, I think it's a safe assumption that this will be the case. Remember that this is a Nintendo All-star roster first so there needs to be limitations. Also, it would be incredibly unfair for a 3rd-party to get another character slot over the others as well as other potentials (i.e. Namco, Square Enix)

In Brawl, Konami got one, and Sega got one. In Smash Bros 4 so far, Capcom got one, and Sega got one. In the words of Spider-man in Family Guy, "Everybody gets one."
---
PSN: Spindash / XBL: Spindash / NNID: Spindash