The reasons why Snake should not be in, DEBUNKED

#21MikokiriPosted 5/19/2014 1:08:11 AM
But he's too big...
---
0490 - 5355 - 7480. In search of: Ankah, Ribbot.
Self-Proclaimed Toon Link of the smash board.
#22PT_PiranhaPosted 5/19/2014 1:10:20 AM
SpindashStudios posted...
Sakurai stated 3rd-party characters would be kept to a minimum. "Minimum" being a keyword here, I think it's a safe assumption that this will be the case. Remember that this is a Nintendo All-star roster first so there needs to be limitations. Also, it would be incredibly unfair for a 3rd-party to get another character slot over the others as well as other potentials (i.e. Namco, Square Enix)

In Brawl, Konami got one, and Sega got one. In Smash Bros 4 so far, Capcom got one, and Sega got one. In the words of Spider-man in Family Guy, "Everybody gets one."

If we really wanted to be fair, Sonic wouldn't return either.

Are we really expecting or hoping for this series to become "Nintendo Superstars ft. Sonic the Hedgehog + rotating guest"? It just becomes blatant guest favoritism after a point. I find it hard to avoid using that term already, with how uncertain Snake's situation is. And they'd get away with this favoritism too, with how popular Sonic is over Snake. It wouldn't be fair, but they'd still get away with it.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself though.
---
You're important to somebody. They care about you.
<<Real men set to 10 posts per page>>
#23wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:20:53 AM
PT_Piranha posted...
with how uncertain Snake's situation is

Not any more uncertain than any other unconfirmed veteran. At the very least, if Snake is out, he will not be replaced by anyone else from a Konami game. Snake is basically it.
#24PT_PiranhaPosted 5/19/2014 1:53:36 AM
Technically you're right. It's just hard to keep hoping with the longer we go without any confirmation. Then the Kojima interview stirring the pot, the Reuben Langdon incident getting peoples' hopes up briefly...

It's just easy to imagine them deciding to keep Sonic and drop Snake, due to Sonic's mega popularity while letting Snake fall to the wayside. And most people would be okay with this, which makes it worse for people who like Snake and are neutral at best to Sonic.
---
You're important to somebody. They care about you.
<<Real men set to 10 posts per page>>
#25wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:59:29 AM
PT_Piranha posted...
It's just easy to imagine them deciding to keep Sonic and drop Snake, due to Sonic's mega popularity while letting Snake fall to the wayside.

There's a lot of other characters with terrible design that they could cut, or who are basically filling the same archetype as other characters, than Snake with a wholly original and good move set. But it is certainly possible that Snake will be cut. I'm just saying, it's not nearly as possible as people are leading others to believe. He'd be a great addition for a secret character.
#26yuokePosted 5/19/2014 2:39:49 AM
There is also that little fact of the whole exclusibe sonic deal for nintendo consoles
#27MetaknighterPosted 5/19/2014 4:40:42 AM
I haven't heard any of those reasons before, and even then they sound stupid.
---
"People call things OP'd when they don't use it and die from it a lot." - WestSdeNleVrus
It's "Disconfirm", people.
#28wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 5:44:41 AM
Metaknighter posted...
I haven't heard any of those reasons before, and even then they sound stupid.

Hang around the board enough and you'll hear them plenty.
#29IngSlayerPosted 5/19/2014 6:03:01 AM
wah_wah_wah posted...
He's not Nintendo enough!
1) You can argue that Sonic has more history WITH Nintendo than on it, meriting his inclusion, and that is a fair point. 2) But it still doesn't mean he is Nintendo or ever will be. He is Sega as Sega can be.

Cutting Snake means there is more room for another Konami character!
3) It's not like there is a rule that says there can be only one Konami character.

1) And that is really all you need to figure out that Sonic is a better choice than Snake. I'd imagine that having more history with a company is far better than what Metal Gear has: only a few games, which apparently range from bad to "non-canon", and being far more associated with a different 1st Party company.

2) Double standard. Snake is Konami as Konami can be.

3) Yet there is no rule that says any company should have more than one character for this game.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#30wah_wah_wah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 6:21:27 AM(edited)
IngSlayer posted...
1) And that is really all you need to figure out that Sonic is a better choice than Snake. I'd imagine that having more history with a company is far better than what Metal Gear has: only a few games, which apparently range from bad to "non-canon", and being far more associated with a different 1st Party company.

While I'll accept that is a good reason Sonic should be and this is the reason why it trumps the reason of not being Nintendo enough, I'd argue that is good to give people outside of the Nintendo universe with just one character they are probably familiar with. Snake serves this role, to help expand the game's reach a little bit. So that is why we overlook "he's not Nintendo enough" for him. Like Sonic therefore he has a reason to overlook this. Why it doesn't hurt Nintendo at all to include Snake is explained in my other debunking of arguments against Snake (why it doesn't drive sales away from Nintendo).

2) Double standard.

Of course it is a double standard, the double standard is Sonic should somehow be in and Snake should not even though saying that "they are not Nintendo enough" is a reason to blow them both up.

3) Yet there is no rule that says any company should have more than one character for this game.

Duh that's not what I was saying at all. I kind of back off on this anyway... my argument now is that Snake being cut means no Konami rep, not a whole new one. People who think cutting Snake means their Konami favorite suddenly will be in the game are kidding themselves.