This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My 2 cents: High hopes, low expectations

#1dikke_joopPosted 5/18/2014 10:22:21 PM
After lingering on this site since melee was released without actually writing anything, I decided to give my opinion about the upcoming smash games, in hopes of starting a discussion about it.

No matter how you try to look at it, the strength of smash games comes from the characters in it. Tweaked physics is nice, but not nearly as important as having another character in it.
With that in mind, Melee is definitely the best improvement in the smash series out there.
Brawl brought some interesting new characters as well (mainly 2 3rd party and pkmn trainer since they were all pretty unique).
Now let's look at the WiiU/3DS version. We're already at 29 characters...given that brawl had 35 characters and the expectation that these versions will have more characters (let's say 40) there's room for 11 more.

Of those 11 we kind of need to get Ganondorf, Ness and Cpt. Falcon back, leaving only 8 spots. Wario, Falco and the Ice Climbers are expected to be in there as well, leaving only 5 spots for new people.
Unless mr.Sakurai decides to put in the most amazing characters, I don't think this version of smash bros is going to be that great. What did we get so far, in terms of characters?
ANOTHER ninja-esque/psychic/bipedal Pokemon: Really? You couldn't just give us back mewtwo?
Wii Fit trainer: Why?! I mean, it's nice that you want to encorporate new characters, but in a finite roster, wouldn't you want to have a character that has actual fans? No one was rooting for wii fit trainer.
Rosalina: OK...her move set is interesting plus she vaguely reminds me of a girl I used to know, but did we really need another mario rep?
Lucario: REALLY?! There's only one bipedal pokemon we need and that's mewtwo. Now we get 2 (Greninja and Lucario) none of which are mewtwo
Charizard: You took one of the most interesting characters (pkmn trainer) and discarded squirtle and ivysaur...then gave us the remaining character with 1 new move...
Same goes for zelda/sheik and samus/ZSS: If you need to fill up a roster, put in new characters, don't separate existing characters and use up 2 slots.

With 5 slots remaining and with only 3 characters that are worth buying this game for (little mac, mega man and villager) my hopes aren't up...

A lot of people here on gamefaqs want people like Isaac and whatever all those other manga-esque characters are. We don't need another generic human being with a sword (though I'm betting there's at least one in the remaining 5 slots). One of the most interesting characters in the nintendo core is ridley, but he's too big apparently (still not agreeing on that one), and I don't see any other interesting new characters coming to this game..

...So what do you think?
---
SSBB: 5069-3741-2682 name: PAT
#2kaliskonigPosted 5/18/2014 10:24:13 PM
Well it all went to hell the moment you thought 40 was the expected number. Brawl had 39 btw
---
Smash 4 DREAM Roster:http://imgur.com/DMrzJLe
Who will Sakurai murder next!?
#3StevenDrkPrincePosted 5/18/2014 10:26:29 PM
Greninja isn't Psychic.
---
(3DS FC: 4296-3067-2375)(GT/NNID: StevenDrkPrince)
With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone.
#4dikke_joop(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 10:26:38 PM
35 slots...you're thinking like Sakurai now. Samus/ZSS, Sheik/Zelda and pkmn trainer count as one...which was awesome compared to how it is now.
---
#5dikke_joop(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 10:27:34 PM
StevenDrkPrince posted...
Greninja isn't Psychic.

Psychic "SLASH" Bipedal "SLASH" Ninja
---
#6Arne83Posted 5/18/2014 10:27:39 PM
dikke_joop posted...
You couldn't just give us back mewtwo?

And, I'm out of here...
---
The only supporter of Panne for Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.
#7StevenDrkPrincePosted 5/18/2014 10:28:54 PM
dikke_joop posted...
StevenDrkPrince posted...
Greninja isn't Psychic.

Psychic "SLASH" Bipedal "SLASH" Ninja

Ah, I thought you were listing attributes to Greninja.
---
(3DS FC: 4296-3067-2375)(GT/NNID: StevenDrkPrince)
With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone.
#8GL10Posted 5/18/2014 10:31:36 PM
And here I thought this was a serious topic... Congrats for fooling me, sir.
---
Before you complain about the lag, keep in mind that Bird Jesus was almost killed by it!
#9dikke_joop(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 10:32:07 PM
Oh god...I completely forgot about jigglypuff and Game&Watch...which leaves even fewer slots open...
---
#10Arne83Posted 5/18/2014 10:33:10 PM
dikke_joop posted...
Oh god...I completely forgot about jigglypuff and Game&Watch...which leaves even fewer slots open...

Because you know exactly how many characters are gonna be in the game.

Just... just stop.
---
The only supporter of Panne for Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.