This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Reminder: Gematsu was clearly a publicity stunt that got out of hand.

#1VlakoradosPosted 8/18/2014 10:14:12 AM
The few who still think it had some credibility say “the leaker got the first stuff right!” But let’s take a second to remember how it actually panned out:

1) The FIRST evidence of anything leak related was Sal’s prediction post on a prediction post thread on Neogaf. Tons of people made predictions in those threads. Thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters, Sal’s happened to PARTIALLY come true (as we all know the first ‘leak’ did not come to fruition in its entirety as it said it would). The only real surprise here was WFT, and as said, when tons of people are posting in a PREDICTION thread for FUN, you can make wild guesses and someone can get one right.

2) AFTER this post with people going “woah nice guess!” someone with a relatively unknown gaming site decides to capitalize on it and say “yeah I’ve got a leaker, we real site now.” How many of you had heard of Gematsu before all of this?

3) He continued to play it incredibly safe after the initial predictions as chronicled all over this board, BUT unfortunately one of the safest guesses turned out wrong and he’s clearly a fraud. Thankfully he still had the imaginary leaker as a fall guy for the sake of his site’s credibility.

Time to let it go.
#2_DogPosted 8/18/2014 10:19:30 AM
You really think Sal is a fraud? His history shows otherwise.
---
Congratulations to Germany for winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup
#3SilentKnight961Posted 8/18/2014 10:19:52 AM
lol
---
SHABLAGOO! Mint Berry Crunch!
http://i.imgur.com/kMwYjGS.gif | http://i.imgur.com/AOti9K9.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/TXlEqVf.png
#4crashandcortexsPosted 8/18/2014 10:20:59 AM
I can't believe how hard it is for people to understand the first 6 characters in that neogaf post was legit but everything following it was bull****, albeit bull**** which kept us on our toes for a long time

Before you even try mentioning reveal dates lupinko got the order and dates characters were revealed in wrong but was still a 100% legitimate leaker even mentioning **** like a little quip a character says when using a throw, in fact I can't think of many leaks which have stayed true to scheduale
#5jayman7Posted 8/18/2014 10:23:56 AM
I still think it's plausible (hardly confirmed though) that the alleged-leaker got E3 info both years (thus explaining Wii Fit Trainer and the name of Mii Fighter, the only things he got right that are particularly impressive) and padded it out with a wishlist. Why did he do that? No idea. But whatever the case, there's no particular reason to pay attention to any of the stuff he claimed would happen that hasn't at this point.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#6CAW EvolutionPosted 8/18/2014 10:25:06 AM
Gematsu's been around since 2008, and it's never posted any hoaxes or blatantly false information before. The popularity/fame of the site is entirely irrelevant -- Sal's a trustworthy guy, and he has no history of lying.

Also, I'm looking forward to your mental gymnastics when the Chorus Kids are revealed. I'm thinking you'll go with "lucky guess" or "safe guess."
#7jayman7Posted 8/18/2014 10:28:15 AM(edited)
CAW Evolution posted...
Gematsu's been around since 2008, and it's never posted any hoaxes or blatantly false information before. The popularity/fame of the site is entirely irrelevant -- Sal's a trustworthy guy, and he has no history of lying.

Also, I'm looking forward to your mental gymnastics when the Chorus Kids are revealed. I'm thinking you'll go with "lucky guess" or "safe guess."

Well, we have evidence (weak evidence, but evidence nonetheless) that Shulk may not be playable now, so...

Of course, it's your side doing the "mental gymnastics" now that Chrom has been revealed not to be playable, so maybe the point is going over your head.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#8Vlakorados(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 10:27:03 AM
CAW, what say you if there is a RH rep who's not chorus kids? Do we ignore Japan's popularity and say "wow no way unknown he just confused the character lol!"

Or if there's no RH rep at all.
#9JudgeFalconPosted 8/18/2014 10:28:35 AM
CAW Evolution posted...

/topic
---
Your crimes include multiple homicide and the attempted murder of a judge. If you do not comply, the sentence is death. Negotiation's over... FALCON PUUUNCHH!!
#10CAW EvolutionPosted 8/18/2014 10:30:39 AM
Vlakorados posted...
CAW, what say you if there is a RH rep who's not chorus kids? Do we ignore Japan's popularity and say "wow no way unknown he just confused the character lol!"

Or if there's no RH rep at all.

I'm not sure, but I'm not worried about that. I just think it's way too early to be making these kinds of topics. You can laugh at Gematsu all you want if the Chorus Kids aren't playable, but so long as the possibility exists it's best to keep an open mind. Leaks aren't as black and white as "one wrong detail negates the entire thing" -- they never have been and they never will be.