This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would it take for you to buy the "TURBO" version of Smash 4?

#11MooMinded(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:13:05 PM
AkanubonOrih posted...
I don't see why they wouldn't also release the stuff as DLC. If it truly is just the same engine with new content, there'd be literally no reason to force people to go out and buy a new copy just to experience it. Nintendo has already embraced DLC this generation... so it just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, but so far there hasn't been that much new DLC added. Mario Golf, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Fire Emblem have DLC, but games that seem like a prime candidate for DLC such as Mario Kart 8 (I know it's getting DLC, but it's going to be mainly free updates) don't seem to have as many options/support as one would want.

You could make the argument that they're taking their time and releasing DLC in very small increments, but in the end it could also be argued that they're not ready to really make use of it in some of their core franchises where it's welcome.

We've got no word that Smash 4 will have DLC for certain other than rumors and speculation, and even if it does it could be a situation where DLC can be transferred over to the updated version of the game (Like Jill Valentine and Shuma Gortoth in Marvel vs Capcom 3 also being playable in Ultimate for having purchased them before)

Considering how Nintendo has a lot of potential to update Mario Kart 8 in terms of new stages and characters that they're not using, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash Bros also didn't embrace DLC as well as it should.

I'm just saying.
#12MooMinded(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:15:30 PM
CommodoreConn posted...
I hope smash never goes the turbo ex alpha extreme route

trust me, no one does

but the question is: What would is take for one to justify their purchase of an updated Smash 4 game?

For example, many people I know ended up buying Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 because of the novelty of playing as Phoenix Wright, while I myself ended up buying it to play as Frank West and being able to team him up with Haggar and Phoenix Wright to have a team of normal human characters.
#13AkanubonOrihPosted 8/18/2014 6:16:59 PM
MooMinded posted...
AkanubonOrih posted...
I don't see why they wouldn't also release the stuff as DLC. If it truly is just the same engine with new content, there'd be literally no reason to force people to go out and buy a new copy just to experience it. Nintendo has already embraced DLC this generation... so it just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, but so far there hasn't been that much new DLC added. Mario Golf, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Fire Emblem have DLC, but games that seem like a prime candidate for DLC such as Mario Kart 8 (I know it's getting DLC, but it's going to be mainly free updates) don't seem to have as many options/support as one would want.

You could make the argument that they're taking their time and releasing DLC in very small increments, but in the end it could also be argued that they're not ready to really make use of it in some of their core franchises where it's welcome.

We've got no word that Smash 4 will have DLC for certain other than rumors and speculation, and even if it does it could be a situation where DLC can be transferred over to the updated version of the game (Like Jill Valentine and Shuma Gortoth in Marvel vs Capcom 3 also being playable in Ultimate for having purchased them before)

Considering how Nintendo has a lot of potential to update Mario Kart 8 in terms of new stages and characters that they're not using, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash Bros also didn't embrace DLC as well as it should.

I'm just saying.

Yes, but you're talking about a hypothetical situation where they'd make a ton of extra content using the same engine and release it as a standalone physical copy, which is something they haven't ever done before either. (Galaxy 2 started off as something like that, but they kept adding and adding until it became something wholly new.) So if that hypothetical were to come to pass, I'm saying so would a mess of DLC for people that bought the original and don't want to have to go out and buy a new copy.

Also I believe Super Street Fighter II was the one that added the new characters.
#14MooMinded(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:21:49 PM
AkanubonOrih posted...

I'm just saying.

Yes, but you're talking about a hypothetical situation where they'd make a ton of extra content using the same engine and release it as a standalone physical copy, which is something they haven't ever done before either. (Galaxy 2 started off as something like that, but they kept adding and adding until it became something wholly new.) So if that hypothetical were to come to pass, I'm saying so would a mess of DLC for people that bought the original and don't want to have to go out and buy a new copy.

This entire thread is hypothetical. I never said that this will happen and I highly doubt it will EVER happen.

But the idea is, if it DID happen, what would it take for ANYONE to feel like purchasing the game could be justified so they wouldn't feel completely ripped off? What would be their selling point?

Just pretend for a moment you woke up in an alternate universe years later where this has some how happened. Super Smash Bros 4 gets a new updated version... what would it take for that game to actually say "Yano what? I think I will pick that up!" and not feel ripped off?
#15AkanubonOrihPosted 8/18/2014 6:31:17 PM(edited)
MooMinded posted...
AkanubonOrih posted...

This entire thread is hypothetical. I never said that this will happen and I highly doubt it will EVER happen.

But the idea is, if it DID happen, what would it take for ANYONE to feel like purchasing the game could be justified so they wouldn't feel completely ripped off? What would be their selling point?

Just pretend for a moment you woke up in an alternate universe years later where this has some how happened. Super Smash Bros 4 gets a new updated version... what would it take for that game to actually say "Yano what? I think I will pick that up!" and not feel ripped off?

Alright, alright. I'll play along.

They'd have to add at least 1.5 times the content and release it at a discounted price (no more than $40). That means new characters, new stages, new items, new music, new modes (single & multiplayer), enhanced netcode if the original's online suffers in some way, etc. They'd also have to make a Club Nintendo promotion where you get something special for registering both versions. Maybe a special gold Amiibo.

Oh and little tweaks to the gameplay to fix criticisms.