This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Look at other Namco fighter games' character selection screen.

#1ItsWaluigiTimePosted 8/20/2014 7:17:03 AM
Now, I'm not for or against this new leak but Tekken and Street Fighter don't have the character names on the selection screen.

Not sure about other games, but this could explain the absence of names. Of course, there's the chance there are names before lots of the roster is unlocked, but are taken out for room for other characters.

Or the whole thing is fake and my point is moot.
---
YOU CANNOT CONTROL ME.
http://imgur.com/ZDUJ3CF
#2SalsaSavantPosted 8/20/2014 7:19:35 AM
Nintendo likes to promote it's big names. I think they would of wanted to place them prominently so everyone will recognize them.

But that's just my hypothesis. And it's an assumption, too.
---
Guy With Sword used his Pokemon, Samurai Goroh, to kill Alfonzo so nothing gets done! All at the behest of the evil goddess Paluteena and her minion Kid Icarus.
#3ItsWaluigiTime(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 7:24:09 AM
SalsaSavant posted...
Nintendo likes to promote it's big names. I think they would of wanted to place them prominently so everyone will recognize them.

But that's just my hypothesis. And it's an assumption, too.

I think they would want to display them also. Want.

I also think they'd rather have functionality than advertisement. But again, this is all speculation.
---
YOU CANNOT CONTROL ME.
#4HenryKissigerPosted 8/20/2014 7:25:11 AM
ItsWaluigiTime posted...
Not about other games, but this could explain the absence of names. Of course, there's the chance there are names before lots of the roster is unlocked, but are taken out for room for other characters.

That sounds reasonable, but it seems like too big of a sudden style shift. Don't forget that the character names appear on the bottom screen even when the token is hovering over them.

Or the whole thing is fake and my point is moot.

moot-moot! https://31.media.tumblr.com/2a10c457cc5053f9cb290bf2698990ec/tumblr_msty6nTxF21sdli4qo1_500.gif

Well... to be fair, everyone's point is moot. Nobody here knows the truth.
#5albertojz356Posted 8/20/2014 7:25:15 AM
The bottom screen can display their names and the speaker, I assume, would speak their names loud and clear.
---
I support my favorite Nintendo Starlets: Pauline, Palutena, Anna, Captain Syrup, and also Shantae, and Bayonetta for Smash Bros Wii U/3ds.
#6ViewtifulGenePosted 8/20/2014 7:26:20 AM
I'm not sure why this game would suddenly omit the names from its select screen when they have been included in all past Smash games and the preliminary select screens for this game.

Sure, Namco may have done it before, but I'm not sure Namco was involved in the UI design here. I thought Sakurai's wife did that for each Smash game.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Falcon Pope of the SSB4 board.
#7HenryKissigerPosted 8/20/2014 7:29:14 AM
ViewtifulGene posted...
I'm not sure why this game would suddenly omit the names from its select screen when they have been included in all past Smash games and the preliminary select screens for this game.

The WiiU version will almost certainly have names. With the 3DS screen, it's likely a case of not having quite enough room for names and still having the icons look good.
#8ItsWaluigiTime(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 7:32:44 AM
ViewtifulGene posted...

Sure, Namco may have done it before, but I'm not sure Namco was involved in the UI design here. I thought Sakurai's wife did that for each Smash game.

I forgot about Sakurai's wife creating the menus, but I don't think she decides how the characters are placed and all that jazz. Maybe she does and Sakurai says "Oh... Lovely design honey... Very good..." with a disgusted look on his face then hands it to another set of people and says "My stupid wife thinks THIS looks good... Change it."

The CSS seems like such a big job for one person, and it probably needs a lot more opinions than what one lady thinks is nice.
---
YOU CANNOT CONTROL ME.
#9SalsaSavantPosted 8/20/2014 7:34:26 AM
ItsWaluigiTime posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

I forgot about Sakurai's wife creating the menus, but I don't think she decides how the characters are placed and all that jazz. Maybe she does and Sakurai says "Oh... Lovely design honey... Very good..." with a disgusted look on his face then hands it to another set of people and says "My stupid wife thinks THIS looks good... Change it."

The CSS seems like such a big job for one person, and it probably needs a lot more opinions than what one lady thinks is nice.

She's a veteran graphic designer who has designed several major and very good menus for several games. And while it's important, I don't imagine the CSS is particularly hard.
I'm not sure if she designs the CSS alone, but I'm sure she's capable of it.
---
Guy With Sword used his Pokemon, Samurai Goroh, to kill Alfonzo so nothing gets done! All at the behest of the evil goddess Paluteena and her minion Kid Icarus.
#10ViewtifulGenePosted 8/20/2014 7:35:02 AM
HenryKissiger posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

The WiiU version will almost certainly have names. With the 3DS screen, it's likely a case of not having quite enough room for names and still having the icons look good.

That said, the 3DS demo roster had names on the top screen.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Falcon Pope of the SSB4 board.