Look at other Namco fighter games' character selection screen.

#11ViewtifulGenePosted 8/20/2014 8:36:47 AM
ItsWaluigiTime posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I'm not sure why this game would suddenly omit the names from its select screen when they have been included in all past Smash games and the preliminary select screens for this game.

Sure, Namco may have done it before, but I'm not sure Namco was involved in the UI design here. I thought Sakurai's wife did that for each Smash game.

I forgot about Sakurai's wife creating the menus, but I don't think she decides how the characters are placed and all that jazz. Maybe she does and Sakurai says "Oh... Lovely design honey... Very good..." with a disgusted look on his face then hands it to another set of people and says "My stupid wife thinks THIS looks good... Change it."

The CSS seems like such a big job for one person, and it probably needs a lot more opinions than what one lady thinks is nice.

She wouldn't have to place the exact characters to design the template. Presumably a designer can propose several possible grid arangements, with each box having some placeholder text for later editing.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Falcon Pope of the SSB4 board.
#12PuppyfaicPosted 8/20/2014 8:44:18 AM
I'd like to point out that TC thinks Namco developed Street Fighter.
---
3DS FC: 0216 1295 1824 | NNID: Puppyluvv
Playing: Mario Kart 8, LoZ Wind Waker HD
#13SalsaSavantPosted 8/20/2014 8:45:20 AM
Puppyfaic posted...

That's likely just a badly worded statement, and he was trying to point out that it's not unusual across the industry.
---
Guy With Sword used his Pokemon, Samurai Goroh, to kill Alfonzo so nothing gets done! All at the behest of the evil goddess Paluteena and her minion Kid Icarus.
#14KromagnumPosted 8/20/2014 8:47:44 AM
I'm sure the name is displayed on the lower screen, and probably announced loudly upon selection. You aren't going to not know who the characters are. There's no real reason to clutter up the top screen when you're already working so many characters onto one screen.
---
XBL: Kromagnum81
PSN: glenn220
#15Chaos-15Posted 8/20/2014 8:52:12 AM
Wait. Aren't all fighting games like that?
From the top of my head:
Guilty Gear, Persona 4 Arena, King of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, BlazBlue, Skullgirls, and Marvel vs Capcom.
---
Accept Madoka as your new God.
#16ItsWaluigiTime(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 9:27:30 AM
SalsaSavant posted...
Puppyfaic posted...

That's likely just a badly worded statement, and he was trying to point out that it's not unusual across the industry.

Well ****. Reading it now, Puppyfaic has a point. But no, Salsa is right.
---
YOU CANNOT CONTROL ME.
http://imgur.com/ZDUJ3CF