PChaosWM's List of New Characters for Super Smash Brothers 4

#1PChaosWMPosted 8/4/2011 8:25:03 AM(edited)
Back in 2010 I was unemployed for a few months. Instead of spending my time wisely I came up with as many characters as I could to be included in a new Super Smash Brothers game, even though the new games had not been announced yet. I continued to make new characters and revise the ones I’ve already worked on even after I found work. I have put in a year-and-a-half of work on these characters and I whole-heartedly believe that each of these characters can make it into the next Super Smash Brothers games.

I made these characters because I have a passion for the Super Smash Brother series and a desire to see some of my favorite characters get some representation. I made these characters for fun, not profit. I did not steal any ideas from anyone while making these move-sets though I have asked for feedback on several occasions and have made use of it. My intention now is to provide Nintendo, Masahiro Sakurai, and anyone else involved in the Super Smash Brothers project with ideas that they might not have thought of. Yes, it is unlikely that the developers regularly look at these forums, but a man can dream.

Worth mentioning is that I did not deal with color pallet swaps, taunt animations, Snake codec’s, or trip attacks. Color pallet swaps are not something I’m interested in doing because I’m not particularly artful in this area. I do not particularly care about how the characters animate when they taunt; that is something best dealt with a professional animation department. The only animations I care somewhat about are the animations that are used in attacks. I did not include trip attacks because I don’t really think that random tripping should return to Super Smash Brothers. Tripping an opponent through an attack is totally fine, but recovery from this can essentially be bundled with a character’s floor attack. Also worth mentioning is that I did create more characters than the 5 I’m going to post today, but these 5 are the ones that I believe are the most distinguished and recognizable of the bunch.

I created this thread to get my ideas out there and, more importantly at this time, to get as much feedback as possible on what I have done. If you are going to post in this thread please look into balance issues and other possibilities for moves. Please DO NOT debate whether a character deserves to be on the roster or other irrelevant issues like tripping or which of the two games the characters should be in.

I appreciate and thank you for any feedback you can provide. Feel free to send me a private message on this subject if that is your preference.
---
\\=============\\ PerfectChaosWM //=============//
//-- Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. --\\
#2PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:14:34 AM
Name: Matthew
Universe: Golden Sun

Overall Stats

Power: 8/10
Speed: 5/10
Traction: 9/10
Jump: 5/10
Air Mobility: 4/10
Weight: 6.5/10
Height: 7.5/10

Normal Attacks

Neutral Attack: Matthew holds the Sol Blade in his right hand and swings it from side to side. He finishes this attack by grabbing the Sol Blade with both hands and slashing downward. This is not a sustained attack.
Dash Attack: Matthew runs forward and slashes sideways with the Sol Blade. This attack has a long range but has high ending lag.
Forward Tilt: Matthew executes a roundhouse kick that has slightly above average range.
Up Tilt: Matthew slashes upward with the Sol Blade. This attack has high ending lag.
Down Tilt: Matthew executes a low kick that has a great chance of causing the opponent to trip if the attack connects.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: Matthew charges this attack by grabbing the Sol Blade with both hands and bringing it behind his back. He releases by powerfully swinging the Sol Blade down to the ground. This attack is similar to Ike's Side Smash but it has less power, a smaller hit box, and a slightly faster swing.
Up Smash: Matthew charges this attack by crouching down while holding the Sol Blade in both hands and bringing its pommel near the ground. He releases by thrusting the Sol Blade directly upward. This attack is similar to Marth's Up Smash but it has more power and less speed.
Down Smash: Matthew charges this attack by focusing hard. He releases by pointing his left hand towards the ground and causes small rocks to come out of the ground in all directions. This attack does not do a great deal of damage but it has a large hit box and has above average knockback.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial: Matthew somersaults in the air while holding the Sol Blade forward. This attack is similar to Meta Knight's Neutral Aerial but Matthew only somersaults once.
Forward Aerial: Matthew slashes forward, somewhat slowly, with the Sol Blade as if he’s bunting a baseball with a baseball bat.
Back Aerial: Matthew takes the Sol Blade and jabs it beneath his left armpit. This attack has high start-up lag but does great knockback.
Up Aerial: Matthew backflips and kicks upward. This attack is similar to Kirby's Up Aerial but it has more power and a slower execution.
Down Aerial: Matthew slashes directly below while holding the Sol Blade with his right hand. This attack is similar to Meta Knight’s Down Aerial but it moves much slower and has spiking potential.

Grabs and Throws

Grab: (Grip) Matthew focuses hard and a giant, ghostly hand materializes. This hand is about the same height as Matthew. This hand grabs the area in front of it with an above average range. This move has high ending lag but can be used while in the air.
Pummel: The ghostly hand squeezes Matthew’s opponent. This attack is similar to the Master hand's squeeze attack but it does far less damage.
Up Throw: The ghostly hand throws Matthew’s opponent up into the air. This move causes no damage but does do above average knockback.
Down Throw: The ghostly hand throws Matthew’s opponent down onto the ground. This attack causes Matthew’s opponent to bounce once.
Back Throw: Matthew turns around and the ghostly hand throws Matthew’s opponent backwards.
Forward Throw: The ghostly hand dissipates and Matthew slashes his opponent with the Sol Blade.
---
#3PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:15:17 AM
Other Attacks

Ledge Attack: Matthew vaults himself upward onto a ledge, brings the Sol Blade above his head, and slashes downward.
100% Ledge Attack: Matthew crawls onto a ledge and pokes the Sol Blade forward slightly.
Floor Attack: Matthew breakdances while getting up. Most of the damage is dealt with his feet but there is some slashing damage dealt with the Sol Blade.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special: (Move) Matthew raises his left hand forward and creates a giant, ghostly hand (about the same height as Matthew) that travels across the stage for about the same range as Wolf's Standard Special. The ghostly hand essentially acts like a moving wall; players can wall jump off of it if their character is capable of wall jumping but no character can grab onto it. If the ghostly hand hits another player it continues to travel without slowing down. Any energy based projectile can destroy the ghostly hand no matter how powerful it is (even one shot from Fox’s Standard Special). This move is similar to Isaac’s assist trophy power in SSBB but Matthew’s ghostly hand is much smaller than Isaac’s and does not travel as fast. This attack has a 5 second cooldown. This move functions exactly the same as when Kirby uses it when copied.
Side Special: (Flint) Matthew charges this attack by appearing as if he's about to leap forward. This attack can be charged indefinitely but after 2 and 1/2 seconds the attack cannot become any stronger. While charging this attack Matthew removes a Djinni (named Flint) from his body and places him into the Sol Blade, causing the Sol Blade to glow faintly. Matthew releases this attack by leaping forward and powerfully striking downward with the Sol Blade. If Matthew strikes an opponent with this attack it does a large amount of damage and knockback. The damage, the knockback, and the distance Matthew leaps depend on how long the charge is held. The distance traveled is roughly based on 3/4th the distance traveled by Ike's Side Special (charged and uncharged). After this attack is used Flint goes into "recovery mode" and is not able to be attached to the Sol Blade for 15 seconds. After the 15 seconds are up a noise sounds to indicate that Flint is done recovering. If Matthew chooses to do so he can use this attack during Flint's "recovery mode" and go the same distance he normally would; however, the attack's damage and knockback are cut in half. This attack does not put Matthew into a helpless state; however, he is not able to use this attack again until he lands.
Up Special: (Lift) Matthew summons a clump of earth from underneath his feet, supported by two large, ghostly hands that carry him upwards. Matthew can continue to use normal attacks and tilts while being lifted upward but using these attacks influences his direction. This move is similar to Snake’s Up Special and it controls exactly the same. This move does not put Matthew into a helpless state; however, he is not able to use any more special attacks until he lands.
Down Special: (Earthquake) Matthew creates an earthquake on the ground at his front (which damages similarly to Donkey Kong's Down Special). As long as the special button is held down the attack can be used indefinitely. The earthquake can also be moved forward and back slowly if the player chooses. If one continues to hold down the special button one can move the D-pad / Control Stick in whichever direction he or she chooses, and if Matthew directs this attack to go behind him he turns around. This attack is restricted to whichever platform Matthew is standing on but under no circumstance can it pass through walls. This attack cannot be used while in the air and has high ending lag.
---
#4PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:15:46 AM
Final Smash: (Judgment) Matthew pauses for a brief moment and thrusts his left palm into the sky. The stage disappears and a winged knight with boar horns appears in the sky. This winged knight holds a long sword and a shield that is shaped like a lion's head. The winged knight points the lion's head shield at the ground and charges up a blue energy ball which he shoots downward. When the energy ball hits the center of the stage two massive circular shockwaves encompass the whole stage (like Tabuu's Off Waves but with much less power) followed by a large explosion.

Notes on Matthew

Matthew wields the Sol Blade which is a very powerful two-handed sword. He primarily uses earth based attacks some of which don't do damage but are useful in tactical ways.

The move-set I made for Matthew originally started out as a move-set for Isaac (Matthew’s father). Once I played through Golden Sun: Dark Dawn I came to the conclusion that Matthew would be the more likely choice for Super Smash Brothers 4 if it came down to a choice between the two. I came to this conclusion because Matthew is the main character of the most recent game in the Golden Sun series. This argument doesn’t mean that Matthew is automatically a better candidate, but I decided to go with who I personally thought was a better choice.

Once I decided that Isaac should be scrapped in favor of Matthew I did have to almost completely re-do his melee attacks but I barely had to touch his special’s due to the fact that Isaac and Matthew have almost the exact same attacks and moves in their respective games. Isaac’s move-set was originally based upon him using a one-handed weapon, but once I saw the size of the Sol Blade’s model in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn I realized that Matthew’s move-set would have to adapt accordingly.

I believe that Matthew should be included in Super Smash Brothers 4 because the Golden Sun series deserves some representation. There were a lot of people who were disappointed that Isaac was merely an assist trophy in Super Smash Brothers Brawl (myself included), and we think that Golden Sun ought not to be ignored when the next Super Smash Brothers is created.
---
#5PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:16:55 AM
Name: Zoroark
Universe: Pokémon

Overall Stats

Power: 5/10
Speed: 7/10
Traction: 4/10
Jump: 6/10
Air Mobility:/10
Weight: 4/10
Height: 6.5/10

Normal Attacks

Neutral Attack: Zoroark swipes forward twice with his claws and finishes by doing a roundhouse kick. This is not a sustained attack but it does have very low ending lag.
Dash Attack: Zoroark leaps forward and swipes with both of his claws. This is a long ranged dash attack but it does have high ending lag.
Forward Tilt: Zoroark whips his head around and strikes forward with his hair. This attack has a large hit box but does not do a great deal of damage or knockback.
Up Tilt: Zoroark executes a high kick. This attack has low start-up lag but has high ending lag.
Down Tilt: Zoroark drops to the ground, placing his hands on the ground behind him, and kicks forward with his left hind leg.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: (Crunch) Zoroark charges this attack by leaning back and looking up with his mouth open. He releases by lunging forward and biting the area at his front. This attack does not do a great deal of damage or knockback.
Up Smash: Zoroark charges this attack by crouching towards the ground. He releases by doing a backflip with a large hit box above him.
Down Smash: (Low Sweep) Zoroark charges this attack by holding his right claw in the air and crouching down a bit. He releases by quickly slashing down and spinning in place, creating a hit box near the floor on both of his sides.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial: Zoroark spins in place and whips his hair around, striking his front and back.
Forward Aerial: (Fury Swipes) Zoroark claws forward 5 times. The first 4 swipes do very little damage and knockback but the last swipe does a higher amount of both. This move is similar to Fox’s Forward Aerial but it attacks with his claws instead of his feet.
Back Aerial: Zoroark quickly extends his left hind leg backwards. This attack is similar to Sheik’s Back Aerial but it has higher ending lag.
Up Aerial: Zoroark swipes upwards with his left claw. This attack is similar to Wolf’s Up Aerial but it is slower in execution.
Down Aerial: Zoroark lunges downward and claws the area below him twice.

Grabs and Throws

Grab: Zoroark lunges forward and grabs his opponent with his left claw.
Pummel: Zoroark bonks his opponent on the head with his right fist.
Up Throw: Zoroark throws his opponent upward and kicks upward, doing decent knockback.
Down Throw: Zoroark karate chops his opponent on the head, sending him or her flying forward.
Back Throw: Zoroark tosses his opponent backwards, spins around, and kicks him or her backwards.
Forward Throw: Zoroark releases his opponent and does a strong swipe with his right claw.

Other Attacks

Ledge Attack: Zoroark flips onto a ledge and attacks with his hind legs.
100% Ledge Attack: Zoroark crawls onto a ledge and whips his head forward, doing slight damage with his hair.
Floor Attack: Zoroark raises his legs straight up in the air and pushes himself up with his arms. He then twists around and does damage in every direction with his claws and hind legs.
---
#6PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:17:33 AM
Special Attacks

Neutral Special: (Night Daze) Zoroark charges this attack by crossing his arms and tilting his head down like he is focusing. He can hold the charge indefinitely but after 3 seconds the attack cannot become any stronger. He releases by sending two dark pulses out from his body. The longer the attack is held the more damage the pulses do. If the pulses hit an opponent they cause the target to have a 50% chance to miss while attacking for 5 seconds. This attack has high start-up and ending lag. This attack functions exactly the same as when Kirby uses it.
Side Special: (Faint Attack) Zoroark disappears, quickly moves forward, and reappears a short distance forward. If there is an enemy in the path of this attack Zoroark latches onto him or her and does four quick scratching attacks and then kicks them, doing decent knockback, and causes Zoroark to move backward slightly. This attack is similar to Diddy Kong’s Side Special but it moves much quicker. This attack does not put Zoroark into a helpless state; however, he is not able to use this attack again until he lands.
Up Special: (Agility) Zoroark briefly stops in the air and then leaps very quickly in whichever direction one points the D-Pad / Control Stick. Zoroark travels in a straight line and if he travels through an opponent he does very minor damage and knockback to them. Once this attack is used Zoroark is put into a helpless state. This attack is similar to Lucario’s Up Special but it moves quicker and does minor damage.
Down Special: (Illusion) Zoroark grabs himself and shakes violently for 1 and ½ seconds. During this time he can’t be attacked, much like Zelda and Sheik’s Down Special. When he is done shaking Zoroark transforms into the character he was closest to when he began this process (regardless if they are a friend or foe) and copies their move-set completely with some exceptions. If Zoroark copies Zelda, Sheik, or any of the Pokémon Trainer’s Pokémon he cannot use their Down Special moves; if Zoroark attempts to do so he instead uses their Standard Special attack. Zoroark cannot transform into another Zoroark; when this move is used it ignores other Zoroark on the stage but if the only other character on the stage is another Zoroark the move fails. When Zoroark uses this move he looks exactly the same as the character he copied but he has a slightly darker color. Zoroark can remain in this state until he suffers 50% damage (or loses 50 HP if in Stamina Mode), uses any taunts, or self-destructs. This move has a 1 minute cooldown but Zoroark can use this move at the beginning of the match if one chooses to.
Final Smash: (Mass Hysteria) Zoroark jumps into the air and splits into 4 separate bodies. One of these bodies is under the player’s control like normal but the other 3 act as level 9 computers who attack any enemy on the field. These computer controlled Zoroark copy the original body’s color pallet but in a slightly lighter color. These computer controlled Zoroark can do anything that a normal level 9 computer can do except they cannot use any special attacks or grabs and they do half the normal damage and knockback. These computer controlled Zoroark have 50 Stamina each and if they take 50 damage (or more) or if they are alive for longer than 15 seconds they vanish.
---
#7PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:17:55 AM
Notes on Zoroark

Zoroark mainly uses his claws and hind legs for attacks but he also can do some shadow damage. Zoroark is the only character that is capable of transforming into another character entirely (albeit with some limitations). Most of Zoroark’s attacks lack power and have high ending lag but his attacks are typically quick strikes.

Zoroark’s move-set is almost entirely based on the attacks he is capable of using in Pokemon Black and White. I basically scrolled down Bulbapedia’s entry on Zoroark and his attacks and wrote down as many attacks as I could see working in the next Super Smash Brothers game. My idea for Zoroark’s Final Smash is not based on anything in particular; I came up with it on my own. Since I know that Zoroark is a master of illusions I thought that making him appear to split into several fighters would be a great way to show that. Having never seen the movie Zoroark stars in I can’t say that my depiction of him is entirely accurate, but I think that his move-set is interesting enough to be included in Super Smash Brothers 4.

I think that Zoroark should be included in Super Smash Brothers 4 because he is unique among Pokémon and popular enough to be the Lucario of the current Pokémon generation. Pokémon has an amazingly large pool of potential characters that can be used for Super Smash Brothers, and I think that ignoring that is a mistake.
---
#8PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:19:13 AM
Name: Hector
Universe: Fire Emblem

Overall Stats

Power: 10/10
Speed: 4/10
Traction: 5.5/10
Jump: 4/10
Air Mobility: 3.5/10
Weight: 8.5/10
Height: 9.5/10

Normal Attacks

Neutral Attack: Hector holds Armads with both hands and brings the axe down in a swinging motion that circles around and comes down again. This is a sustained attack that can be used as long as the player continues to press the attack button. This attack is similar to Marth's Neutral Attack but it is slower and more powerful.
Dash Attack: Hector runs forward and swings Armads like a baseball bat. This attack has high ending lag.
Forward Tilt: Hector quickly brings Armads down in a swinging motion. This attack does not have a great striking range.
Up Tilt: Hector quickly thrusts Armads’ end into the air. This attack does not do much damage but has above average knockback.
Down Tilt: Hector brings Armads’ end down to the ground.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: Hector charges this attack by holding Armads with both hands and brings it behind his back. He releases by bringing Armads down in a powerful swinging motion. This attack is similar to Ike’s Side Smash but it has slightly more power and moves slightly slower.
Up Smash: Hector charges this attack by holding Armads with its end towards the ground. He releases by swinging Armads upwards. This attack has high ending lag.
Down Smash: Hector charges this attack by holding Armads close to his chest. He releases by swinging Armads all the way around. This attack is similar to King Dedede's Down Smash but it has less speed, more power, and a larger hit box.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial: Hector twirls Armads around his front, keeping it close to his chest. This attack is similar to Pit's Neutral Aerial but the hit box is not as large and the attack moves much slower.
Forward Aerial: Hector brings Armads down in a swinging motion. This attack is similar to Ike's Forward Aerial but it moves a bit slower.
Back Aerial: Hector swings Armads behind him. This attack is quick but it does not do a great deal of damage or knockback.
Up Aerial: Hector moves Armads 3 times in a twirling motion above him. This attack is similar to Pit's Up Aerial but it moves much slower and has higher ending lag.
Down Aerial: Hector swings Armads downward. This attack has the potential to spike if it connects.

Grabs and Throws

Grab: Hector grabs his opponent with his left arm while continuing to hold Armads in his right hand. This grab has an above average range.
Pummel: Hector knees his opponent in the stomach with his right knee.
Up Throw: Hector releases his opponent and twirls Armads around, upper-cutting his opponent with Armads’ end.
Down Throw: Hector throws his opponent down onto the ground and jabs him or her in the gut with Armads’ end.
Back Throw: Hector hits his opponent with the flat edge of Armads, sending him or her flying backwards.
Forward Throw: Hector releases his opponent and thrusts forward with Armads, sending him or her flying forward.

Other Attacks

Ledge Attack: Hector jumps onto a ledge and punches forward with his left fist.
100% Ledge Attack: Hector crawls onto a ledge and pokes Armads forward.
Floor Attack: Hector kicks high above and pushes himself upright with his left hand.
---
#9PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:19:38 AM
Special Attacks

Neutral Special: (Durban's Might) Hector charges this attack by holding Armads behind him, like he's about to bat a baseball, for a maximum of 5 seconds. He releases by swinging Armads forward like a baseball bat. If Hector is under the effect of Thunder Charge a small forked lightning attack appears in front of him. If the forked lightning attacks hit an opponent, the attack has paralyzes him or her for 1 second. If Hector is under the effect of Thunder Charge and he holds the charge on this attack for too long (over 5 seconds) he fails to use the attack, becomes paralyzed for 1 second, and takes 10% damage (or 10 HP if in Stamina Mode). If Kirby copies and uses this attack it functions differently; it instead has a smaller range and does not do quite as much damage. Also Kirby is not able to benefit from Thunder Charge.
Side Special: (Tomahawk) Hector throws a small hand axe with his left hand which goes forward and comes back in a boomerang motion. If Hector is under the effect of Thunder Charge, and if the Tomahawk connects with an enemy, it paralyzes the opponent for 1 second. This attack is similar to Toon Link's Side Special but the projectile goes much faster, does more damage, and goes through enemies instead of being stopped by them. If Hector is unable to catch the Tomahawk again after throwing it, he receives recoil damage and if the Tomahawk is thunder charged it paralyzes Hector for 1 second.
Up Special: (Roland's Reach) Hector jumps into the air while holding Armads behind his back; at the height of the jump’s arc he swings Armads down powerfully and travels downward until he hits a platform or self-destructs. If Hector is under the effect of Thunder Charge a small explosion of electricity occurs where Armads touches the ground, paralyzing anyone who is caught in the explosion for 1 second. This attack is similar to King Dedede's Up Special but it does not travel as far upwards. Also like King Dedede's Up Special Hector can cancel out of this attack, but doing so puts Hector into a helpless state. Hector cannot grab onto a ledge while he is using this attack, he must first put himself into a helpless state in order to do so.
Down Special: (Thunder Charge) Hector crouches down for 1 and ½ seconds and lets out a battle cry. When his battle cry is complete he is surrounded by electricity that lasts for 10 seconds. While he is surrounded by the electricity his attacks gain a 10% chance to paralyze any enemies stricken by his melee attacks for 1 second and his Special Attacks have added bonuses. Once this move is used he cannot use this attack again for 1 minute. When the match starts he cannot use this move until 1 minute into the match, much like Wario's Down Special. If Hector suffers any knockback from any source while attempting to use this move, the move fails but the cooldown is not reset unless the move is completed.
Final Smash: (Ostia's Army) Hector holds Armads high in the air and a small force of soldiers warps onto the field. Two Cavilers (one holding a lance and one holding a sword), two mages, one Mercenary, one Fighter, and one Cleric attack anyone near them. The Cleric heals Hector for 20% damage (or 20 HP if in Stamina Mode) 5 seconds after she appears on the stage. The 7 units are immune to attacks and stay on the stage for 10 seconds before being warped off.
---
#10PChaosWM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:20:18 AM
Notes on Hector

Hector wields Armads and a Tomahawk throwing axe. Armads is a large, two-handed, thunder charged axe. Hector has the ability to attach electricity to his attacks and stun if he is under the effect of one of his special attacks. Hector has the most power out of anyone wielding a weapon but he is also the least agile.

Hector’s move-set took the longest to perfect. Fire Emblem characters are notoriously tough to make move-sets for because there is almost nothing to base special moves off of. Despite this I managed to come up with some ideas that work. The reasoning behind his ability to use electricity, despite the fact he can’t in Fire Emblem, comes from the element he was assigned in Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken in Japan). Every character is assigned an element in more recent Fire Emblem games, and Hector was assigned electricity. Also worth mentioning is that Armads is rumored to be “Thunder Charged”, which is what his down special was based off of. While these two facts have no impact on what he can do in Fire Emblem they did serve as inspiration for his move-set.

Hector deserves a slot in Super Smash Brothers because Fire Emblem needs some more representation and an axe user would be a break from the norm. As a character in Fire Emblem he stands out as one of the most interesting and he is popular and recognizable enough to be a great contender.
---