This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Newcomers I'd like to see. Your thoughts?

#11OMEGA_SIXPosted 6/27/2012 7:37:37 PM
I have no doubt that Miis will be implemented in Smash, anyone saying otherwise is crazy. Nintendo is big on the Miis, and anyone who has been staying up to date with Wii U news should know that. Hell, people are going to be able to play as their Miis in New Super Mario Bros. U, so it shows Nintendo isn't afraid to use them in their main series games.

Now, I'm not saying that we will get to play as our Miis in the new Smash game, but they WILL be present in the game. Whether that means they will replace the generic enemies in things like 15 Minute Melee and the like, be used as a punching bag in training mode, or even just to serve as background characters in a Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort stage, they will be present in the new game.
#12zzking24Posted 6/27/2012 7:50:52 PM
FIRST PARTY:

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
-Definitely a nice choice and good representation of a great series! :D

Ray MK (Custom Robo)
-One or the other, doesn't matter to me, I like them both.

Chibi Robo
-Read above.

Isaac (Golden Sun)
-Deserved to be in Brawl, imo still deserving, do it Nintendo.

Paper Mario
-While it would be unique, I wouldn't be too thrilled, we don't need another Mario. XD

Little Mac(Punch-Out!)
-Pretty much the same as Isaac, very deserving.

Ridley (Metroid)
-Absolutely the most likely and most deserving on the list! Awesome character who deserves some respect! :D

Somebody from Kid Icarus Uprising (not sure who would be best)
-Medusa preferably, we need more villains anyway, why not make it a female villain?(Win/Win)

King K. Rool
-Definitely a top contender for smash, a great iconic Nintendo villain.

Mii (Wii Sports, various other Wii and 3DS games)
-Maybe, I could see it happening, as long as it was implemented right.

THIRD PARTY: I'd like third party choices limited to fairly iconic gaming figures.

Megaman (Capcom)
-Absolutely.

Pacman (Namco, only because they are making the game and I'd rather him than their other characters)
-Highly likely.

Bomberman? (Hudson, now Konami I guess) don't feel too strongly about this one but could be pretty cool.
-I WISH!!!!!!! :(
---
~GamerTag~ video games are for F.U.N. :P
Sco0t3rr
#13GreatJayGatsby(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 8:02:06 PM
IronChef_Kirby posted...
Well, welcome to the SSB4 boards! Here are my thoughts.
I want Miis to stay the hell away from SSB, unless they are taking the position of "Fighting Bland Baddies Team". I hate how they sound, I hate how they look, and no matter how you slice it, they're a recipe for disaster from a gameplay perspective. Customizable characters are practically begging to be overpowered, but then again, a moveset based off the games they starred in would be soulless and bland, just like the games they starred in. I won't deny that the Wii Wagglefest games have sold well, but that certainly doesn't mean I want to see Miis playable.

Now I'm not arguing or anything, just thought I'd respond to this one since it's the only place we seem to disagree.

I have to admit I was more than a little averse to the idea of Miis appearing in Smash Brothers as well but after thinking about it for a while, I think there's a solid case to be made for their inclusion.

First, you have to consider their importance to Nintendo. Wii Sports was a true killer app for the company and a perfect proof of concept, allowing anybody who played the Wii to understand the appeal of the system within minutes. It was the Wii's Tetris or Super Mario Bros. Wii sports (and the Miis) helped Nintendo to expand the video gaming market immensely. Later, they showed up again in Wii Sports Resort which was the first real proof of concept for the Wii Motion Plus, which admittedly has not taken off as well as the Wii itself but will continue to be used in the next generation.

Next I would look at Nintendo's commitment to the "Wii ____" series and Miis. In addition to the two Wii Sports titles, there's been a host of others like Wii Party and Wii Music which utilize the characters. And they have also been a big part of the 3DS, serving as the main demonstration of the system's streetpass abilities, and even a playable (and popular, judging by the online) character in Mario Kart, racing right alongside other characters who have appeared in Smash. The whole Mario Kart segue seemed to work for ROB as a character.

So while it's safe to say that they are important enough to Nintendo to warrant an inclusion, you are right that there is also the question of workability. I'm not sure I can agree with you that the Wii series is bland and soulless. I feel that at least Wii Sports and Resort have a certain charm. At the very least, they have a readily available stage and music. Wuhu has also appeared in Mario Kart (and I believe Pilotwings Resort), and Miyamoto has said that felt like he was creating a new character when he created Wuhu Island (Wuhu as playable for SSB4 lol). As for a moveset, I'm not sure I see an inherent problem with using an amalgamation of things they've done in all of their games, similar to how Mr. Game and Watch did that. I agree that a customization option would be difficult if not impossible to balance correctly.

Anyways, that's just my two cents on the matter. I don't feel too strongly either way about the Mii, but I think it's a viable option.
#14YoungsterJoeyJrPosted 6/27/2012 8:10:11 PM
FIRST PARTY:

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
-He's in my top 10 wanted newcomers.

Ray MK (Custom Robo)
-I don't know him all too well...

Chibi Robo
-Read above.

Isaac (Golden Sun)
-Seems like an interesting character...

Paper Mario
-My most wanted newcomer.

Little Mac(Punch-Out!)
-Loved Punch-Out.

Ridley (Metroid)
-Sure.

Somebody from Kid Icarus Uprising (not sure who would be best)
-Medusa because.

King K. Rool
-Definitely a top contender for smash, a great iconic Nintendo villain.

Mii (Wii Sports, various other Wii and 3DS games)
-Why not?

THIRD PARTY: I'd like third party choices limited to fairly iconic gaming figures.

Megaman (Capcom)
-Absolutely.

Pacman (Namco, only because they are making the game and I'd rather him than their other characters)
-Highly likely.

Bomberman? (Hudson, now Konami I guess) don't feel too strongly about this one but could be pretty cool.
-Yes please!
---
This sig is in memory of Pinchy, a soldier who stood for justice.
#15MottmanPosted 6/27/2012 8:22:11 PM
Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) - Like it, if we get anyone from Animal Crossing, it needs to him or Slider (but more Nook)

Ray MK (Custom Robo) - Like it, he'd be a good fighter.

Chibi Robo - LOVE IT! Thank goodness, someone else who wants this guy besides me and NintendoFan! Chibi-Robo would make such a fun fighter with his various items and costumes, I wish people weren't so indifferent or flat-out dismissive of this little guy.

Issac (Golden Sun) - Indifferent, never played a Golden Sun game. I'm not against this character, however; seems like the most likely from the series.

Paper Mario - Hate it, sorry. I'd love a Paper Mario series STAGE, though, or an assist trophy like Rawk Hawk or O'Chunks or some other non-Mario character from the series. I just don't like having multiple versions of one character in the same game.

Little Mac(Punch-Out!) - I kind of expect this to happen, honestly. Makes sense and is a highly requested character. I'm not a Punch-Out fan, but I think this absolutely should happen.

Ridley (Metroid) - I'm OK with this. Ridley seems to be a "love him or hate him" character, but I'm fairly indifferent about him. I'd lean slightly towards wanting him since he'd be fairly unique.

Somebody from Kid Icarus Uprising (not sure who would be best) - Meh, don't care about Kid Icarus. As long as it's not Dark Pit, I guess I wouldn't mind.

King K. Rool - Don't really care either way about this guy. I think his chances are a bit overrated, honestly; especially after being left out of Donkey Kong's great platforming revival.

Mii (Wii Sports, various other Wii and 3DS games) - Eh, I can see the logic behind this, and a Mii makes more in a series-combining game like Smash Bros than it does in the Mario Kart games, but I'm not exactly hoping for this, either.

Megaman (Capcom) - Like it, I want this guy more than any other currently unrepresented third-party character.

Pacman (Namco, only because they are making the game and I'd rather him than their other characters) - Like it, I actually thought this made some sense even before the news about Namco due to his iconic retro nature.

Bomberman? (Hudson, now Konami I guess) don't feel too strongly about this one but could be pretty cool. - Eh, maybe. Don't care either way. I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
---
"Whats more important in a console? Sales or Quality games?" - New_Kirbyfan9
"Sales IMHO. That's why the Wii is the best for me." - SF_Baha
#16GreatJayGatsby(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 8:30:27 PM
Mottman posted...
LOVE IT! Thank goodness, someone else who wants this guy besides me and NintendoFan! Chibi-Robo would make such a fun fighter with his various items and costumes, I wish people weren't so indifferent or flat-out dismissive of this little guy.

I remember playing through the game on my gamecube and thinking what a great, original game it was. Just the idea of a tiny little robot that goes around helping people was awesome, and yes all of his gadgets make for easy moveset potential. Problem is, I guess most people didn't like the game as much as I did.

Never played the DS game "park patrol" but I heard it was only mediocre. The other DS sequel only came out in Japan, but I heard it was better, like the original. I have a feeling that Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo both appeal more to the sensibilities of Japanese games than American ones, but that doesn't necessarily hurt their chances since Nintendo often caters to their home market. And if they were planning on a sequel for either of those series, an appearance in Smash could be a great way to get some attention.
#17MottmanPosted 6/27/2012 8:41:20 PM
GreatJayGatsby posted...
Mottman posted...
LOVE IT! Thank goodness, someone else who wants this guy besides me and NintendoFan! Chibi-Robo would make such a fun fighter with his various items and costumes, I wish people weren't so indifferent or flat-out dismissive of this little guy.

I remember playing through the game on my gamecube and thinking what a great, original game it was. Just the idea of a tiny little robot that goes around helping people was awesome, and yes all of his gadgets make for easy moveset potential. Problem is, I guess most people didn't like the game as much as I did.

Never played the DS game "park patrol" but I heard it was only mediocre. The other DS sequel only came out in Japan, but I heard it was better, like the original. I have a feeling that Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo both appeal more to the sensibilities of Japanese games than American ones, but that doesn't necessarily hurt their chances since Nintendo often caters to their home market. And if they were planning on a sequel for either of those series, an appearance in Smash could be a great way to get some attention.

Yeah, and despite being born and raised in the southeastern US, I love these "Japanese" style games like Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo. Honestly, I'd also love to see Starfy as a playable character in Smash Bros; I imported and loved the first three Starfy games for GBA, and they were considered "too Japanese" to ever be released outside their region (the two DS Starfy sequels, including the one America finally got, are a step down in quality, I'm afraid). I had a blast with all of these series we've mentioned, but especially Chibi. But yeah, it came out late in the console's life and was probably too "cutesy" or slow-starting for many gamers, since I tend to see more people who didn't care for the game than liked it.

And yes, Park Patrol was definitely not as good as the first, though I still had fun with it and would consider it an OK game. I really wish we'd gotten the other DS sequel instead so I could try that one.
---
"Whats more important in a console? Sales or Quality games?" - New_Kirbyfan9
"Sales IMHO. That's why the Wii is the best for me." - SF_Baha
#18IronChef_KirbyPosted 6/27/2012 9:01:25 PM
GreatJayGatsby posted...
A whole bunch of stuff

I'm well aware of Miis' prevalence, but I'm strictly speaking of what I'd like to see; I didn't enjoy the Wii Wagglefest games, save for a few days of Wii Sports. When I said that the Mii games were bland and soulless, I said this because I'm apparently not finding the charm in them that you did. Everything in the Mii games looks plastic and dull to me. There's nothing that really makes it unique to Miis, whereas the other big Nintendo universes have their own unique, stylish atmospheres. Here's what I mean. Back on the Gamecube, we had this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071NMkn7SSg
And now look at the Mii-ified version of F-Zero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrW8Q-Cf2l0

Even within the realm of sports games, the Mii versions feel bland and lacking in personality. Tell me, in your opinion, which of these looks the most interesting?

A: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/169/958432_20090619_screen001.jpg
B: http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/f/7/5/gfs_200142_2_4_mid.jpg
C: http://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/images/thumb/4/40/Wii_Sports_Tennis.jpg/300px-Wii_Sports_Tennis.jpg
D: http://mariopartylegacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mtoart18.jpg

It's no contest, in my opinion. The Wii Wagglefest games just feel shallow; they don't resonate like what I used to expect from Nintendo. In games like Mario Kart 7, I found myself thinking the same thing. "Hmm, would I rather play as a mutant firebreathing turtle with spikes on his shell, an obese kleptomaniac with the wackiest mustache ever, a mysterious creature in a red robe who hides behind a mask, or a loudly squealing replica of me, a run-o-the-mill nobody?"

With regards to the Mii's moves, I know that Nintendo could easily cobble together a bunch of sports equipment and a jetpack and call it a moveset, but that certainly doesn't mean I would be excited to use it. Again, Miis don't have any defining characteristics like the other Nintendo characters; they're defined by being blank blobs of nothing that you can put a cartoony version of your face on. Whoop-tee-doo.

I know that these aren't reasons to make Miis ineligible for Super Smash Bros.; they're just the reasons I dislike them, and therefore do not want them touching my favorite video game series.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N5pP6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5Of7P.jpg
#19genius14Posted 6/27/2012 9:02:52 PM
GreatJayGatsby

Loved that book. Hated the way it ended. ;(
---
SSBB-0603-5794-4363 GT: Ace Of Blew
http://i.minus.com/iMimjTXRoOuTF.gif Understand my name! gen- (beginning) -ius (made of) 14 of my friends. :)
#20GreatJayGatsby(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 9:18:59 PM
@IronChef: That's totally fair. I'm just saying a lot of people actually do seem to choose their Mii over all the Mario characters in kart for one reason or another. Perhaps there's just something inherently satisfying to some people about playing as "themselves" in a game. Anyways, I really appreciate the feedback.

genius14 posted...
GreatJayGatsby

Loved that book. Hated the way it ended. ;(

The sad ending is what makes it so great in my opinion. I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie adaptation.

Alright, so all of my choices so far have been fairly safe, here's a more controversial one: Dillon (from the rolling western). He's only been in one game (and a downloadable one at that) but his character design seems like it'd be right at home in the Smash series and he's one of the few brand new Nintendo characters I've seen recently. Personally, I'm not convinced about him, but I wouldn't mind seeing him exclusive to the 3DS version of the next Smash Bros. I feel like he's bound to be at least an assist trophy or something. However, I don't see him getting much more than that, unless maybe they make a sequel to his game and expand it to more than a downloadable property, increasing his chances for a future smash appearance? Thoughts on this character?