Pit must be removed from this game.

#1ViewtifulGenePosted 10/13/2012 9:08:06 AM(edited)
Pit is ineligible for Super Smash Brothers. Sakurai said that he would not add any characters who didn't originate in video games. And Pit didn't originate in a video game.

Many people would argue that Pit originated in Kid Icarus, but that's not where Pit originated. Pit was based on Cupid, a figure from Greco-Roman mythology. This is most apparent if you look at his NES artwork, the way his name is spelled in Japanese, and his status as the bow-wielding, angelic servant of a beautiful goddess. The NES design for Pit does nothing to distance itself from the typical depiction of Cupid. He even collects hearts from people he shoots with his arrow. His name spelled out in Japanese is "Pitto," which is incredibly close to the Japanese Cupid or "Kyupiddo." And where Cupid serves the smokin' goddess Venus/Aphrodite, Pit serves the comely Palutena. Further reinforcing the ties to mythology, Palutena's name is a portmanteau of Pallas Athena, another Greek goddess. Surely the developers took some liberties with mythology. But the origins remain in mythology, not in a game. Pit did not originate in a video game. His origins lie in mythology.

Pit did not originate in a game, but he is playable in Brawl. This means one of two things: either Pit must be removed or Sakurai's alleged rule regarding eligibility is not completely enforceable.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Official Batman of the SSB4 Board
#2mustardpi314Posted 10/13/2012 9:09:01 AM
i love you.
---
Heh heh... the wind... it is... blowing...
#3GactivefyPosted 10/13/2012 9:09:11 AM
Ike must also be removed

his father Greil was based on Morte de Arthur's Sir Gawain, and therefore him and his descendants are ineligible for Smash Bros
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved
#4ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 9:10:14 AM
Gactivefy posted...
Ike must also be removed

his father Greil was based on Morte de Arthur's Sir Gawain, and therefore him and his descendants are ineligible for Smash Bros

Don't forget Marth. He's named after Mars, the Roman god of war.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#5Blazekicker27Posted 10/13/2012 9:13:09 AM
R.O.B. didn't originate in a game either. He was just an accessory for the NES. R.O.B. deconfirmed.
---
"Venom's ugly face on that big screen? Now that's scary." - The hilarious and ultimate boss, Spider-Man, talking to Black Cat.
#6GactivefyPosted 10/13/2012 9:15:46 AM
Kirby is named after brand of vacuum cleaners and such, and therefore has been breaking the rules since the series' conception
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved
#7ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 9:16:28 AM
Blazekicker27 posted...
R.O.B. didn't originate in a game either. He was just an accessory for the NES. R.O.B. deconfirmed.

I have been saying this for ages, but everyone moves the goalpost by saying he originated WITH a game so it still counts.

It'd be easier to prove R.O.B. ineligible if there was a stronger link with R.O.B. to somebody like Rob Zombie or Rob Schneider.
---
#8ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 9:17:27 AM
Gactivefy posted...
Kirby is named after brand of vacuum cleaners and such, and therefore has been breaking the rules since the series' conception

He's also a marshmallow. And marshmallows did not originate in games.
---
#9LegendofLegaiaPosted 10/13/2012 9:19:31 AM
Your "son" blocked me from PMing him.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Samurai Goroh_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#10ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 9:23:19 AM(edited)
LegendofLegaia posted...
Your "son" blocked me from PMing him.

My son can do whatever he wants with his account.

Please stop using the word son in quotes. Just because I adopted him, it doesn't follow that our parent-child relationship is any less genuine than the bond between a biological mother and son.
---